Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My First Paceline

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My First Paceline

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-09, 04:25 PM
Token Canadian

Bikes: Cervelo S1, Norco Faze 1 SL, Surly Big Dummy, Moose Fatbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My First Paceline

...because it's a slow night with not much going on...

Imagine, if you will, the following scene, set sometime in the future, roughly 6 months from now:

I have been steadily putting km on the Cervelo, building up my base. I'm decidely less Clyde than ever, and am capable of pulling hard for reasonable stretches. Not the next Lance by any means, nor will I be dropping Lance-alikes in Central Park - but a base fitness threshold has been passed.

So I'm out in the county, Just Riding Along, when I hear the buzzy-whooshy hum of the local group ride peleton coming up behind me (I have seen these guys before; I know they exist) The road being open, I ease off to the left to let them by, and as they pass, one of them yells "Slot in if you like!"

The time has come to join in a group ride....

So, now what? What are the rules here?

DG
Old 03-10-09, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
I didn't realize that there were so many cyclists in Afghanistan.
Old 03-10-09, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember my first pace line...
Old 03-10-09, 04:37 PM
Banned

Bikes: 2007 Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RecceDG

DG
The rules here? Use "search" before you ask a question that has surely been asked a thousand times.
Old 03-10-09, 04:41 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Hop on the back, watch the others, be smooth, DO NOT STARE at the back wheel of the rider ahead of you. Instead, keep your head up and scan past the rider in front of you. You can judge the distance by his jersey pockets. If you can put something in them, you're too close.
Old 03-10-09, 04:55 PM

Bikes: Neuvation FC100 w Rival, Trek E9, Santa Cruz Superlight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
a common occurance given most of your responses and how they hell else do you think they get around besides on foot

Good old US of A mentality
Old 03-10-09, 04:55 PM
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Ideally you should do some two man drafting practice w/ ONE buddy. Go out for fairly long ride, and take turns drafting and pulling, focusing on being smooth in every movement. Smooth accelerations, smooth decelerations, smooth moves off the line, etc. Gradually getting closer until you are drafting each other comfortably at under 12".

Then go work w/ two buddies on a 3 man paceline. With 3 riders, when you're in the back you start to really appreciate the smoothness.

THEN you are ready to try w/ a larger group.

Too many people think they can just jump in a line and magically get it right if you read the right book. There are many small bike handling skills you should develop first, and you don't develop skills just by reading.

Before trying the large group, you should have at least been working on these in a small group of 2 or 3:

When closing a gap, ease up gently, gradually matching the speed of the bike in front. Don't charge up quickly then stop pedalling (or worse brake!). You don't want to drag the guy(s) behind you up into a brake check.

When slowing because the line slowed, try to keep pedalling and gently use a little brake while still pedalling through. This makes you smoother.

When drafting, try to find a steady power and cadence that will hold you even. Don't speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down... This sends resonant waves whiplashing back down the line.

If the rider in front of you is inconsistent in the speed / effort, try to smooth it out for the guy behind you.

Then you have to work on learning to signal each other. Nothing fancy, just the basics. Move left, Move right, slowing/stopping, pointing out crap in the road, and pulling off the front (elbow flicks to indicate where you want the OTHER rider to advance into, NOT to indicate where you are pulling off to).
Old 03-10-09, 04:57 PM
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If it's a big group hang at the back, if its a small group, take your turn on point.
Old 03-10-09, 04:58 PM

Bikes: cervelo soloist team '07; Specialized Allez Elite '05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cut the OP some slack...that said, the search function will give you in long detail what I will give you in short summary.

Jump on the back of the group, the speed and the efficiency of a group are the benefits, the downside is greater danger so 1)keep your line (don't weave or take turns really wide), 2)close the gap (keep the distance from the front of your tire to the rear of his to within a a tire length or two depending on your comfort level and the speed of the group), 3)don't get to close to the guy in front and overlap wheels, 4)in a tight group you can't see much and don't have much time to react so don't jam on your brakes and 5) do call out hazards to others behind you. 6) If people are taking pulls, when it comes to your turn don't feel obligated to pull the same amount of time the others are, you will blow up prematurely and get dropped unless you are a very strong newb.

Be prepared to be humbled by some guy in his 50s or 60s who looks like he's somebody's grandpa. Endurance is one of the last things to go and years in the saddle counts for alot in cycling so be prepared to get owned by a gray beard on italian steel. Work to be that guy someday.
Old 03-10-09, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by peterot
a common occurance given most of your responses and how they hell else do you think they get around besides on foot

looky here, an ignorant troll.
Old 03-10-09, 05:05 PM

Bikes: Bianchi, Ridley, GT

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IEDs or pot holes would soon put a stop to those fast moving pacelines.
Old 03-10-09, 06:30 PM

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Just tag along for awhile to see how the group manages the rotation, length at front, do not let gaps open up, use wind resistance to slow, try and stay off the brakes, watch this.
https://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...eoPref=vfastwm

Last edited by youcoming; 03-10-09 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-10-09, 06:40 PM
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is a fun little collection of tips, yours free, just for subscribing to a free, informative weekly newsletter. Can't lose, really: https://www.roadbikerider.com/29toc.htm
Old 03-10-09, 07:13 PM
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All good points up till now - my first group ride happened to be about the scariest one in the area... and it took me nine months to screw up the courage to show up and get schooled. You will be fine, just don't try to be a hero in the paceline. If possible, find someone who is willing to show you how it goes, ask lots of questions. Better to know the answers than cause an accident.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned, this is sort of a big deal... learn how to corner well - if you hit your brakes while cornering in a group things can tend to get messy in a hurry. (besides which, knowing how to corner well is super important anyway)
Old 03-10-09, 07:19 PM

Bikes: Neuvation FC100 w Rival, Trek E9, Santa Cruz Superlight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
I am pretty sure nobody rides a bike in China either.
Old 03-10-09, 07:31 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Five, Cannondale Rize Four

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BustaQuad
The rules here? Use "search" before you ask a question that has surely been asked a thousand times.

Nice attitude, and consistant with most of your posts. If case you haven't noticed, most questions have been asked a thousand times. Shall we close the forum so you don't get all cranky?

To the OP, It's nerves that cause the most problems, remember to stay loose. Otherwise hitting little rocks and stuff that are now blocked from your view can make it a tense experience.
Old 03-10-09, 08:13 PM

Bikes: Huffy Blackwater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only things I can add are when you do get up front and it's your time to pull, don't speed up. Maintain the speed you were at when you were in the rear or middle of the pace line. Also you'll want to keep pedaling even when you are getting the benefit of the draft and being pulled along. Shift to a higher gear and pedal slowly just to keep moving and to let those following you know that you are still moving and not coasting or slowing down.
Old 03-10-09, 08:32 PM
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Honestly, you're telling me the idea of a bunch of guys in lycra riding around in pacelines on race bikes in Afghanistan doesn't seem strange to you?

I did some research, here's one of the pics I found. These are two of their national team members training (I'm not kidding). Looks like they could use some funding, but I'm just amazed that there are recreational cyclists in a poor, war torn country like Afghanistan. I think it's awesome. to them.
Old 03-10-09, 08:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, you have some good replies above.

I'm new to the paceline, too - so I'm doing a series of rides organized by a local club specifically to teach paceline skills.
I've spent the last two Saturdays riding with a bunch of other paceline noobs, and I think the most annoying thing is that some riders have not been very good at resisting the temptation to grab the brakes every time they go over a pothole or debris on the road. I'm sure I'm guilty of this as well, to a degree - it's really a new skill to learn.

When you get home from Kandahar you might want to check out your local clubs and see if any offer a similar program.
Old 03-10-09, 09:08 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BustaQuad
Who are you? You've been here less than 4 weeks...STFU. As far as i'm concerned, any fellow cyclist stationed in Afghanistan can ask any related question they want if it helps them pass the time.
Old 03-10-09, 09:11 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Try again fool (and please, learn how to spell).

There's not much pavement here, and what little there is has a tendancy to randomly explode. So I'm going to have to defer my Ceveloing until I return to Canada.

Besides, I hear that one doesn't get the full experience without a lengthy delay betwixt order and delivery.

As far as components, less the handlebars (maybe) exactly as Cervelo ships it. Should be Ultegra SL for the most part. That's cool by me; I don't need to pay the price premium of Red or DA at this stage of my evolution. Perfect is oft the enemy of good enough.

DG
Old 03-11-09, 10:34 AM
Token Canadian

Bikes: Cervelo S1, Norco Faze 1 SL, Surly Big Dummy, Moose Fatbike

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses so far.

Is it considered bad for to wheelsuck at the end of the line (while trying to get a feel for it) or are you expected to take a turn at the front?

Is a paceline sort of formal (ride at the front for a while, then pull off and the next guy in line pulls, then he drops back etc) or more ad hoc? (whoever wants to pull moves up and pulls)

DG
Old 03-11-09, 10:37 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is a paceline sort of formal (ride at the front for a while, then pull off and the next guy in line pulls, then he drops back etc) or more ad hoc? (whoever wants to pull moves up and pulls)

DG
Depends on who you're riding with and why you're riding with them. I would just try to find a group at your LBS when you get back and hook up w/ them.
Old 03-11-09, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
The time has come to join in a group ride....

DG
Check out this website of the Diablo Cyclists:

https://www.diablocyclists.org/DCtraining.html

see also on that page the tab, "Riding in a group."
Old 03-11-09, 10:46 AM

i'm pretty sure you're an idiot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.