Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rear wheel problems

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rear wheel problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-09, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear wheel problems

I just put some new wheels on my bike. Had a quick test ride on a hill at the side of my place. As soon as I started the climb and put pressure on the rear wheel it pulled out the drop out. I put the rear wheel back in place and tightened the skewer up real tight tried the hill again and the same thing happened again.
Has anyone got any idea what could be causing this**********????
Thanks.
Old 03-11-09, 11:26 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Try using a Campy or a Shimano quick release. They grip a lot more tightly than the ones that typically come with Boutique wheelsets.

Since it's a new wheelset another thing to check is that the axle doesn't extend past the dropout by even the tiniest amount.
Old 03-11-09, 11:28 AM
Fred-ish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It could be that the axle is lopsided in the wheel, extending past the outside edge of the dropout.
Old 03-11-09, 11:34 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
the teeth on the QR might be flattened, pretty common with aluminum teeth on boutique QR skewers.

per above, get some shimano or campy QRs which have a steel core and stronger biting cam system.
Old 03-11-09, 11:41 AM
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had that issue when I first began cycling and tried to use some lightweight skewers with my new Mavics. Any time out of the saddle I could get the wheel to slip. I switched back to a regular steel QR and haven't had any issues since.