Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

MonkeyLectric

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

MonkeyLectric

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-09, 05:30 PM

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Vienna Deluxe 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MonkeyLectric

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend! As I approach the start of my daily commute this Wednesday, I have been reading and learning from everyone on their experiences and suggestions to safely commute to and from work. Thanks!

I did however notice the importance of being seen at dusk and in the dark. As I am prepared with reflective gear and also lights/blinkers, I found MonkeyLectic online. Their website is https://www.monkeylectric.com/ Has anyone tried these out? Just wondering what people thoughts of these are? Possibly a distraction, which might not be good...etc. Would love to hear people's thoughts.

Cheers!
Old 06-06-09, 05:41 PM
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no experience with them,they look like they might be cool.
I roll with a Down Low Glow from https://www.rockthebike.com/
Old 06-06-09, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like hipster toys. Get a couple of super flashes and place them well. I run one in the rear and one under my downtube. It's hidden from oncoming traffic by the front wheel and fender but is fairly visible from the sides. The rear is also visible from the sides.

You don't want too much lighting. In my opinion you can have two problems:
1. Drivers go where they look. You don't want them staring at you as they buzz you.
2. Drivers have friends whom they speak with. You don't want to be "that dude with a bazillion stupid lights on his bike." It's bad enough that you're "that dude who can't afford a car."

What xtrajack posted actually looks reasonable although it's a bit more attention than I'd like to attract. Plus it looks like it'd be attractive to thieves.
Old 06-06-09, 10:13 PM
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by xtrajack
I have no experience with them,they look like they might be cool.
I roll with a Down Low Glow from https://www.rockthebike.com/
The problem with the down low glow (or any cold Cathode tube/neon light) is they have a mesmerizing effect. Like others have stated attention-getting is good mesmerizing is bad because it means that the driver's visual scan going to break down and be attracted to your "light" I have to agree it's a cool look, but its safety is a mixed bag.
Old 06-06-09, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Not sure if it would make you safer but they're cool:

https://www.adafruit.com/index.php?ma...cec92349724b95

The site has lots of neat gizmos.
Old 06-07-09, 07:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plenty of comments on this light already.

I have one. Bottom line: awesome. LEDs are extremely visible. You can set it from fairly static one color to seizure-inducing with the press of a few buttons. I took it off once it became light during morning and evening commutes but will put it back on in the fall.
Old 06-08-09, 08:09 AM

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Down Low Glow too. I bought it when I started commuting as I do most of my morning commute in the dark. It is red. I wanted motorists to see me and this light helped give me the confidence to get out there in the craziness (I live in an Atlanta suburb). It worked great for me.

That said, I have it listed on ebay right now. It has outlived its usefulness to me. I still commute in the dark, but have found more practical lighting. If I had a cruiser, I might keep it for the coolness factor. I just don't use it anymore.
Old 06-08-09, 09:55 AM
FrankTheCrank

Bikes: Surly LHT, Bilenky Tourlite Travel, Scattante 650

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two for front and rear that I put on in the fall for my early morning and evening commutes. They get you noticed! I also run Dinottes front and rear. Not much for front or rear visibility, but great from the side especially when crossing busy intersections. To tell the truth, I like them most just because they look cool! I mean, it's like putting cards in your spokes when you were a kid. Are not bikes supposed to be fun? I counter-balance the wheel with a few fishing weights for a smoother ride at speeds greater than 15mph. Frivilous money spent?, for sure. Fun? You bet.
Old 06-08-09, 11:29 AM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
$60 each,and adding the weight of 3 AA's to your wheel with each one.

For that kind of money,you could get a set of Dinottes. Or for alot less,a couple regular lights and some reflective tape.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X