Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Water resistant chain lube?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-09, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 740 Times in 436 Posts

Last edited by CrimsonEclipse; 04-17-18 at 03:44 AM.
Old 06-07-09, 02:41 PM
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
dry lube for dry conditions

wet lube for wet conditions

did i miss anything?

you're using a dry lube
Old 06-07-09, 03:22 PM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Finish Line Wet. (The one with the green top)

It's viscous and grody, tends to accumulate road grit faster, but will keep your stuff from rusting out when you have to ride in the rain every day. Take it from those of us in the PNW; we know about riding in every day rain. (My record stretch was Nov '07, when it rained constantly for 26 straight days.)
Old 06-07-09, 03:53 PM

Bikes: Jamis Coda

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.chain-l.com/
Old 06-07-09, 04:41 PM
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I found this stuff, and it rocks. I figure if it's good enough on an airplane it'll work on my bike.

https://www.boeshield.com/why/why_t9.php
Old 06-07-09, 04:48 PM
Didn't make it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Phils' oil for winter. I just picked up my first bottle of finish line wet.
In lieu of the wax stuff I use for summer. I'll pick up a bottle of that t90 tool
Thanks.
Old 06-07-09, 04:50 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,491 Times in 1,286 Posts
I use regular motor oil all year round, when it's wet or in winter with all the snow and slush I just lube more often sometimes everyday. It works well, no need to pay extra at lbs for bike specific lube, it's a ripp off.
Old 06-07-09, 05:10 PM
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Hey, Neighbor!

"I feel your pain"

Just as I was carrying my bike downstairs this afternoon (garden apartment), it started raining cats 'n dogs. OK, I'm a patient man, and waited an hour or two. Rain stopped, sun came out, so off to ride! Then I was riding through 200m of flooded roadway (three lanes w/median) and BAM! An !@#$% SUV passed me at-speed, caught me in its wake, and I went DOWN... scraped knee, but no other damage to me or my bike.

So... it (my bike) was filthy! I lovingly washed it w/Pine-Sol and warm water, then lubed the chain with ProLink. I haven't (yet) found a shortcut for regular (in-season, almost daily) lubrication, so my vote's for a "thin", high-quality product... one which isn't a "grit/grime magnet".

YMMV, but let's face it: we live in South Florida. Me? I'm showered 'n clean, so it's Miller time!
Old 06-07-09, 05:45 PM

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bat22
Phils' oil for winter. I just picked up my first bottle of finish line wet.
In lieu of the wax stuff I use for summer. I'll pick up a bottle of that t90 tool
Thanks.
Phil's is great for winter..I just started using Boeshield T9, seems to keep the chain cleaner...
Old 06-07-09, 06:23 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 1,853 Times in 1,057 Posts
Make sure to wipe the chain down really good if your using a wet lube and that will reduce the amount of gunk it collects, but yea, as another Florida based rider, I feel your "rain", I got caught today.

Old 06-07-09, 06:40 PM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with Boeshield.
My commuter is set up as a 1x9.
I'm not very careful about drive train cleaning, I ride on all sorts of gritty/dirt roads, sand, mud, wet, ice, snow slush, etc. so I get more chain wear/stretch [this is also a possible downside to the 1x9]. A chain would last about 1000-1200 km. Since I started utilizing the Boeshield I get 1500 or so km per chain, shifting is smoother/quieter and no surface rust. Someday I'm going to try a "stainless chain", but they are $$$.
Old 06-08-09, 02:01 AM
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Phil's Tenacious lube is amazing. If you can't get that, then get a bottle of that oil treatment crap they sell at auto parts stores (the one they have that counter-top "turn the gears" demo for)....I used some of that stuff in the past for wet weather and it was very good lube....messy as hell though.
Old 06-08-09, 06:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have not used or seen one, but the Scottoiler for bicycles might be worth a look: LINK1 LINK2 LINK3
Old 06-08-09, 09:41 AM

Bikes: LHT + FreeRadical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Phil's Tenacious Oil year-round. It's ridiculous how infrequently your chain will need attention.
Old 06-08-09, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1

It's viscous and grody, tends to accumulate road grit faster, but will keep your stuff from rusting out when you have to ride in the rain every day. Take it from those of us in the PNW; we know about riding in every day rain. (My record stretch was Nov '07, when it rained constantly for 26 straight days.)
+1
So far I like Rock n Roll wet or extreme or whatever they call it.

By far the best I have used is Dumonde. It is a PIA to put on but it lasts about 200-300 miles even in wet conditions.
Old 06-08-09, 11:20 AM

Bikes: Surly,ANT,Rawland,Fuji,Jamis,Kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boeshield T9 is the best I have found for keeping chain clean, and statying on in the wet.
Old 06-08-09, 11:33 AM
Faster than yesterday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I, too, like the Rock-n-Roll extreme. I once used some of the green-capped Finish Line. Maybe I didn't wipe enough of it off (though I tried), but my chain was totally encrusted in road junk a day or two later.
Old 06-08-09, 11:35 AM
Spinning @ 33 RPM

Bikes: '89 Fuji Saratoga, '97 Schwinn Mesa SS, '07 Felt F1X, '10 Transition TransAM, '11 Soma Analog SS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I used this all winter. It does make the chain pretty dirty looking, but it is impressively weather resistant. I rode every day in the snow and rain and salt with my bike and the chain never got a hint of rust. I also put a drop inside each of my boltheads 2 years ago. It is still in there today.
Old 06-08-09, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

+1

It rains all the time here in Riga, and Finish Line wet is by far the best I've found.
Old 06-08-09, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oil -- not picky.

Careful to wipe it off as much as possible. It leaves a film but doesn't collect grit if I wipe the chain well.

Sometimes thin the oil, per Bike Forums dogma, with mineral spirits. Sometimes not.
Old 06-08-09, 02:22 PM
Gutter Bunny

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

+1 on any of the Finishlines, I have a can of Finish Line Long distance or something, (not sure they call it that anymore), which I've had for years. We also have a lot of rain and a little squirt of this keeps out even the worst downpours.

Only trouble is the can is possessed and vanishes every so often, only to reappear somewhere odd, hence I can't tell you it's exact name right now.