Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Miyata 1000 LT

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miyata 1000 LT

Hey everyone

Here is my newest addition and I was just wondering what everyone thought value wise. I will take everyone's wise advice this time. Sorry if I was adolescent in a previous post. Its in good shape, just has some definite signs of wear. A little scratching here and there but that's really it. Any help appreciated. I got it from the original owner and it came with panniers, Jim Blackburn racks, and it does have 2 bottle cages, etc. I just took it all off to get her all cleaned up. I am going to put new cables and housing on it in a day or so. i already overhauled the BB and will do the wheels here shortly. But something I have never seen before; its got 700x35c tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Miyata 1000 LT 001.jpg (53.7 KB, 123 views)
Miyata 1000 LT 002.jpg (52.9 KB, 93 views)
Miyata 1000 LT 003.jpg (58.7 KB, 97 views)
Miyata 1000 LT 004.jpg (50.4 KB, 90 views)
Miyata 1000 LT 005.jpg (21.6 KB, 84 views)
Miyata 1000 LT 006.jpg (23.5 KB, 84 views)
Miyata 1000 LT 007.jpg (51.6 KB, 80 views)
Miyata 1000 LT 010.jpg (38.3 KB, 87 views)
Miyata 1000 LT 012.jpg (38.2 KB, 93 views)
Miyata 1000 LT 008.jpg (46.9 KB, 77 views)
Miyata 1000 LT 009.jpg (35.1 KB, 78 views)
Miyata 1000 LT 011.jpg (35.2 KB, 85 views)
Old 06-10-09, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Why do you always ask what your bikes are worth after just buying them? Do we get a 'commision' for enabling your 'flip' buisness? Think of it as a finders fee.

You know whats its worth or you wouldnt have bought it.

Seriously, you post more 'whats it worth' and 'did I get a good deal' threads than anyone. Uou of all people should know what these bikes are worth. If you dont you shouldnt be doing this.
Old 06-10-09, 11:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seriously why are you such and ass h*le? I really dont get it. Dude, I am a college student and I work full time. Which means I have literally no time to research like all you guys probably do. And I did not grow up in the bike industry like a lot of people on here did. Give me a break man and stop being such a hard ass. Its getting old. If you dont like the fact that I would like a quick estimate from some people who know what they are talking about, dont look at the thread. Its that simple.
Old 06-10-09, 11:24 AM
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 114 Posts
If you don't know much about bikes and are truly a college student, I must assume you are just planning to ride the bike. If that truly is the case, who cares what it is worth as long as it is comfortable. It is a nice looking bike and I have heard great things about them. I hope you enjoy riding it.

In truth, I rarely look at the value forum, but after the last two posts on this thread, I looked again and saw that it looked like all of your posts were value inquiries. Why so many if you are just a college student looking for a ride?
Old 06-10-09, 11:24 AM
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by golfer007
Seriously why are you such and ass h*le? I really dont get it. Dude, I am a college student and I work full time. Which means I have literally no time to research like all you guys probably do. And I did not grow up in the bike industry like a lot of people on here did. Give me a break man and stop being such a hard ass. Its getting old. If you dont like the fact that I would like a quick estimate from some people who know what they are talking about, dont look at the thread. Its that simple.
No, sir. You are getting old.

You would do well to shut your yap for a while and just read. Read the posts here, read every single page of Sheldon's website, and learn. You claim to be a student in college on a budget yet you blew 600.00 bucks on that hacked up Nishiki of yours. You come off as a hypocrite. You speak (post) and seek advise without thinking. You're 21 years old and a child of the Internet age, use the search function.

And your "sucker" comments in your previous thread, really pissed off a lot of knowledgeable and well respected folks in this forum. There are many flippers here who are on a mission to keep these bikes out of the landfills by reconditioning and selling them at fair prices to people who will appreciate and ride them. You appear to be the exact opposite, trying to "maximize" your profits. Like your running a successful business or something. I thought you were a college student with no time to research. But you have time to travel, collect these bikes and then deal with the hassle of selling them on CL. You sound ridiculous.

That said, you've got some work to do if you expect to get back in the good graces of the folk here.

A lot of work.

You can start by apologizing to the forum members for your disrespectful "sucker" comments, which, correct me if I'm wrong, you have not done yet.

EDIT: I see that you did apologize in the first post. It's a start.

Last edited by High Fist Shin; 06-10-09 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-10-09, 03:50 PM
I drank the Kool-Aid!

Bikes: Rivendell Roadini, Rivendell Charlie Gallop Protovelo, Rivendell Clem L

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
My problem with your flipping is that you buy it, don't do anything to is except maybe wipe it off and then you turn around and sell it for way over what the price should be and call the buyers suckers.

While I will do a flip I like to get one for really cheap, put some time and energy into getting it ready to ride and then sell it for a respectable price. See the difference?

My goal is to get an old bike back in action and into the hands of someone that needs it and respects getting a great old bike.

Last time we gave you a price I looked on your local Criagslist and you STILL posted it for twice what we told you. So I ask again....if you are going to make up a price why ask anyone here in the first place? Also....have you heard of seach? Because they have that here.
Old 06-10-09, 08:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
None of you know me so stop making stupid assumptions. I don't need to be criticized by a bunch people who sit on the computer all day and make fun of people half there age. If you guys think its such a crime that I post for value, maybe you should chase off everyone else on here who may post a few items a week. You think you are mature and cool sounding when you write your little lectures. I really don't care what anyone of this forum thinks. You have successfully made a place I love to come and chat, a nightmare because of the extremely rude and belittling posts. Oh, yeah, I do use the search button. Grow up guys, were in the 21st century. This isnt the '70's anymore. Thanks for completely ruining my experience here. This will be the last you hear from me.
Old 06-10-09, 08:59 PM
Pug lover! Dogs and bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To chat? Unfortunately, all I've seen is value inquiries, hasty/rude behavior and disregard for opinions if it doesn't meet your ridiculous self estimate.

Your inquiries don't bother people here. Most of the people who frequet C&V are more than happy to help out those who are less knowledgeable. However, I don't see any effort on your part. You claim not to have time, but you never mention using google or the search function to look for yourself. I'll be perfectly honest your last thread made me cringe and I really didn't want to aid you in selling more bikes to "suckers".

Do some research on your own. If you get stuck request some help.

PS: Not everyone on here is twice your age and it's quite tacky to attack those who you depend on for help. From what I gather from your posts you're depending on these fine folks to further your profit.
Old 06-10-09, 08:59 PM
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Guess what, I am 26 and I still think you are immature. Grow up, we are tired of being used any way.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 06-10-09, 09:00 PM
I drank the Kool-Aid!

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
It is not that you post for value. It's that every single time you ignore what is said and post it on Criagslist for more and you self admittedly do it to find someone that doesn't know the real value. I think some of us don't want to be part of it anymore. I helped you out last time and you went ahead and posted it for $150 over the top value given to you.

And by the way I am not twice your age and I was just a baby in the 70's. Although you do ACT half my age.
Old 06-10-09, 09:07 PM
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

I really don't care what anyone of this forum thinks.
You keep on proving that

You have successfully made a place I love to come and chat, a nightmare because of the extremely rude and belittling posts. Thanks for completely ruining my experience here.
No, you have it backwards. You brought the grief on with your own attitude and your own words. Arguments are pretty rare in C&V, you have taken the cake.
Old 06-10-09, 09:15 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 636 Posts
+1 To all of the others comments. And what college student doesn't have time for Goggle????

You don't have to grow up working on bikes, or work on a bike shop to learn valuation. Takes maybe 10 hours of research. And if you are so busy with college, where do you find the time to acquire/flip 50 bikes? Not to mention do the needed repairs on them and sell them.
Old 06-11-09, 04:47 AM
I drank the Kool-Aid!

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wrk101
Not to mention do the needed repairs on them and sell them.
He doesn't repair them. He bought a Bianchi bike for $80 and the only thing he did to it was add a rear tube. He then sold the $250-$300 bike for $420 to a girl that did not know what the true value was or that she overpaid. That is bad enough but then he came here and referred to people like her as suckers.

This is what he consistnatly does. We tell him $400 max and he lists it for $550 in hopes of getting people to overpay. And on top of that not even spending a little time overhauling or changing brake cables is just shocking.
Old 06-11-09, 06:21 AM
Rustbelt Rider

Yeah, and in that same thread he tried to act like he does spend time on them... until I called him on it.
Has the Miyata made it up for sale yet?
Old 06-11-09, 07:44 AM
Back In The Saddle

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
^^ Last I saw, he only had the Univega and the Torelli listed. Both at $500.00 each. Shouldn't be long.

EDIT: Yep the Miyata is listed. $650.00 and he's including the racks, panniers, water bottle cages, and fenders. Not sure why he took them off in the first place. This could be the first bike he priced fairly, maybe.

And it looks like we got him to finally use the search function.

Last edited by High Fist Shin; 06-11-09 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-11-09, 05:33 PM
I drank the Kool-Aid!

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machin Shin
This could be the first bike he priced fairly, maybe.
Even now i think he is way over what it should be. That is a 1000LT not a 1000. I think the LT took over in the early 90's and were made in Korea vs. Japan. IMO this is probably a $400 bike in the condition it is in. So per usual I think he is about $200 over. I could be wrong on that I guess but it seems like $500 would be tops for that bike in excellent ready to ride shape.

He also said he was going to put new brake cable and housing on in the next few days but listed it immediately the next day.
Old 06-11-09, 06:08 PM
Back In The Saddle

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Alien
Even now i think he is way over what it should be. That is a 1000LT not a 1000. I think the LT took over in the early 90's and were made in Korea vs. Japan. IMO this is probably a $400 bike in the condition it is in. So per usual I think he is about $200 over. I could be wrong on that I guess but it seems like $500 would be tops for that bike in excellent ready to ride shape.

He also said he was going to put new brake cable and housing on in the next few days but listed it immediately the next day.
No way he was going to replace the cables on his own and do a satifactory job. Cantilever brakes are a pain to adjust even with all the right tools and the know how. Some how, I don't think he invested any of his profits in bike specific tools.
Old 06-11-09, 10:04 PM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3108 Post(s)
Liked 6,683 Times in 3,830 Posts
I think the LT took over in the early 90's and were made in Korea vs. Japan.
I've only been on here for about 2 years but I've not heard anything about a Korean made Miyata before. Can you substantiate this?

Old 06-12-09, 04:52 AM
I drank the Kool-Aid!

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Awhile back I did a search on here and the internet for differences in the LT model and I remember reading that it switched to LT in the late 80's early 90's era and that production shifted to Korea. Perhaps I am way wrong. If there is nothing definitive by the time I get home from work I will start a thread in the main forum to get some expert info.
Old 06-12-09, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I believe that particular 1000 to be the real deal.
That said I wish it was one size larger and located here!
I have been looking to add one to the touring "collection".
The OP though, in my eyes, is the opposite of many of us on this board. We buy (and sell sometimes) out of a preservative function.
He is motivated by pure greed. Funny how the "age" thing always pops up!
Kind of like a monkey when he runs out of options.....
Here comes the poo!
Old 06-12-09, 07:54 AM
Rustbelt Rider

Originally Posted by ricohman
Funny how the "age" thing always pops up!
Kind of like a monkey when he runs out of options.....
Here comes the poo!

LOL!! I'll have to remember that one.
Old 06-12-09, 05:50 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 912 Posts
Old 06-12-09, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
It is not that you post for value. It's that every single time you ignore what is said and post it on Criagslist for more and you self admittedly do it to find someone that doesn't know the real value. I think some of us don't want to be part of it anymore. I helped you out last time and you went ahead and posted it for $150 over the top value given to you.
We (including myself) have been wrong before and we'll be wrong again. Remember the STI Dura Ace Paramount? I'd like to see every person on the forum get as much for his/her bikes as possible. As long as its done in and ethical way why should I, you or anyone else care what he advertises his bikes for? But to joke about a 'suckering' people is just flat out wrong.

Even now i think he is way over what it should be. That is a 1000LT not a 1000. I think the LT took over in the early 90's and were made in Korea vs. Japan. IMO this is probably a $400 bike in the condition it is in. So per usual I think he is about $200 over. I could be wrong on that I guess but it seems like $500 would be tops for that bike in excellent ready to ride shape
$650 loaded is a fair price. I'd imagine he could get that easily on ebay. As I mentioned over on the main land no 1000 or 6XX series Miyata was ever made anywhere other than Japan. Never. Towards the end of days when the Yen wasn't playing nice Miyata moved some of their ENTRY LEVEL production to Taiwann but never Korea and never anything high end.

Peugeot used the letters 'LE' on some models which stands for 'High Luxery' or 'More Luxurious'
Miyata used 'LT' as a designation for 'Luxurious Touring'. Miayata were never known as lightweight bikes, if your peruse the catalogs you'll see htat cweights aren't listed. 1000 'LT's were lighter than the previous non LT model.