Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Urban Bomber -- Steel v. Alum/CF?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-09, 10:17 AM
all up in that shizzle

Bikes: Peugeot, Bianchi, "Mr. T" big-wheel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Backstory -- My 2008 Bianchi Volpe (riding 28s on Mavic cxp-22s) was stolen here in Washington DC. I loved that f-ing bike.

Now I need a replacement. I've been tending towards cyclocross, subconsciously assuming that a frame built for off-roading would work better for potholes and the occasional curb hop.

I've also always assumed that steel will be better than aluminum with carbon fork. After hearing several horror stories over the years about carbon forks shattering, I want something more substantial, i.e. steel. This is why I went with the Bianchi in the first place. Maybe I'm wrong, so feedback on this point is particularly welcome.

Ultimately I'm looking at
-- Masi Speciale (all-steel randonneur or CX)
-- Specialized Tricross (alum/CF fork)
-- maybe I just need another damn Bianchi Volpe

I'll be riding all of these on 28s as fast as possible on paved roads through DC. Probably not offroading enough to make a difference, but who knows.

If anyone has experience with these bikes, I'd love to gather your input. I'm looking to purchase this week.
Old 06-10-09, 10:37 AM
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would definitely go steel, but if you really liked the Bianchi why not just go with that again?

test ride what you're interested in, and see what works.
Old 06-12-09, 12:46 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The fork,wheelset,and tires make just as big of a difference in ride quality as frame material. And carbon forks are common on cross bikes,so they aren't that fragile. Test ride the bikes you're looking at,and determine which one you like best. Don't get caught up in semantics about materials.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X