Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Velo sport randonnee

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Velo sport randonnee

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-09, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velo sport randonnee

Hi,

I'm new here and pretty much to anything involving bikes! I've been reading through the forums to try to learn a little and am looking at buying a (cheap) bike to commute to work a couple days a week (~10km) and to get to the grocery store/farmers markets.

I found a used 'velo sport randonee' hybrid for $175. The current owner says it is in very good condition and was just tuned up... I'm just wondering if this is a good price? I've tried to search out information on these bikes and have come up empty handed.

So, i've come here to see if any of the biking gurus had some insight! Many thanks (and looking forward to learning more as I go)

I've attached a picture of the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
91366b9_20.jpg (82.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 06-10-09, 01:27 PM
EATS

Bikes: We own a Santana Arriva S+S pulling a Burley Nomad, Qty 2 70's Raleighs updated, C-dale hybrid, Fuji hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That would be a fine purchase for what you have in mind. It has fat tires, fenders and servicable steel low end components. The front fender looks to be missing a stay so it might flop around in the breeze.

The price seems high to me. Except for the fenders you could duplicate that purchase at Target for about the same price. I think $100- $125 would be more in line with it's value but if it has truly been all professionally tuned up then that's worth something. The Target bike would need that right off the bat anyway in addition to the purchase price and taxes (and fenders).

The FIRST thing to check for is if it fits you. If it doesn't then don't bother. You wouldn't wear a shoe that didn't fit.

Oh, and welcome to the club