Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

LHT/Cross Check v. Volpe v. Casserol v. Double Cross

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-09, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking into buying a new "everyday" bike, and would greatly appreciate some feedback/recommendations from the more knowledgeable folks out there. I plan to use it for fun around-town-riding, commuting, grocery shopping/errands, and some longer day rides. I've never done any touring, but enjoy backpacking, so love the idea of touring. However, I think realistically it's unlikely I'll be doing any major touring in the next couple of years, and if do I actually make it on any multi-day rides, I imagine it will only be a weekend or overnight trip. I'll be riding primarily on pavement (but will definitely face some rough city streets on the way to work), paved/packed bike paths, and the occasional dirt/gravel road.

Originally I was looking to purchase a bike under $1000, but have determined that steel's the way to go for what I'm looking for, and have bumped up the price point, and I'm now considering the following:

Surly Long Haul Trucker
Surly Cross Check
Bianchi Volpe
Salsa Casserol
Soma Double Cross

I would definitely want to add fenders and a rack for panniers/grocery carrier.

I've ridden the Volpe and the LHT, and for the initial test ride it seemed to be more or less a toss-up. I found the STI shifters on the Volpe to be much easier for me than the LHT's barcons, although I've been reading about road thumbies, and suppose those could be added, as I know STIs can be expensive to fix. The Volpe may have felt slightly more nimble, while the LHT was a bit more comfortable (probably need another ride or two to tell for sure though). My LBS does not have Cross Checks in stock, and seemed to think the LHT was the better deal. I know they carry some Salsa bikes, but am not sure about Somas, which I understand do not come complete.

I'm a 5'7" female, about 125 lbs - with small feet (I know some people have problems with heel strikes on the Volpe, but I think I'll be good in that regard), if that affects your recommendation.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer - this is a big purchase!
Old 06-10-09, 06:18 PM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
The magic question ? What ride to get ?
I've been lucky to have a CrossCheck, a Trek 520 and a lugged steel frame bike- the progression
of bikes to find the optimal bike. The CrossCheck was my winter bike, then one spring it rode into
summer, then fall and finally my teenage son was riding it as it fit him better than me. Next, got the 520 because I had some connection with it during the test ride. Actually had a LHT in mind when I got the 520. Take the 520 on trips, it is stiffer than the CrossCheck for my 100 kg mass- but more responsive than the LHT was. Next was a Sanner lugged steel frame set up for commuting- it is optimal for this - stiffer than the CrossCheck, lighter than 520. IMHO a CrossCheck sounds like it might be a good choice for your needs - It's solid but slightly softer ride might be more comfortable for your size. Above all - get what fits the best & take your time to get that fit.
Old 06-10-09, 06:29 PM
Pedal Pusher

Bikes: 2008 Masi Speciale CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your experience with the Volpe and LHT makes complete sense. The Volpe is a cyclocross bike meaning it is designed to be more nimble-to dart around courses and muddy, slippery curves. It is also spec'd to accomodate light touring and would fit your needs (e.g. weekend/overnight trips, grocery runs, etc.)

The LHT is a touring bike, made to be "slow and steady." Pack it down with a ton of weight and while you'll pedal harder the stability of the bike won't be affected. It's designed for week+ trips.

You'll most likely find the cross check similar to the volpe, differences off the top of my head are that it can fit wider tires should you want them (I mean fat mountain bike tires, the volpe can accomodate some more width but not as wide as the cross check) and the complete bike comes with barcon shifters, which is a mis-fit on the bike in my opinion. My LBS thinks the complete package LHT is a better deal than the cross-check too. I've never ridden Salsa or Soma, so I can't offer any advice there.

I ride a Masi Speciale CX which is very similar to the Cross-check and Volpe. My needs and wants are very similar to yours (errands, weekend/overnights, pleasure rides (on and off road), and commuting) I am extremely happy with it, in fact I love it more every ride. However, I know that if I ever did want to do a long tour, like a cross-country trip I envision every so often, it just might not be the right bike for that. I chose it over the cross-check and volpe for a few reasons. 1. It was a better set-up and lower cost than the complete cross-check. 2. I rode them all and liked the masi best. 3. It has the best paint job of the three!

So in the end just know that LHT is a different beast than the rest of the bikes you are considering, beside that ride as many as you can, compare component groups, rims, etc. and I am sure you will make a good decision for you.
Old 06-10-09, 06:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rva522
I'm looking into buying a new "everyday" bike, and would greatly appreciate some feedback/recommendations from the more knowledgeable folks out there. I plan to use it for fun around-town-riding, commuting, grocery shopping/errands, and some longer day rides. I've never done any touring, but enjoy backpacking, so love the idea of touring. However, I think realistically it's unlikely I'll be doing any major touring in the next couple of years, and if do I actually make it on any multi-day rides, I imagine it will only be a weekend or overnight trip. I'll be riding primarily on pavement (but will definitely face some rough city streets on the way to work), paved/packed bike paths, and the occasional dirt/gravel road.

Originally I was looking to purchase a bike under $1000, but have determined that steel's the way to go for what I'm looking for, and have bumped up the price point, and I'm now considering the following:

Surly Long Haul Trucker
Surly Cross Check
Bianchi Volpe
Salsa Casserol
Soma Double Cross

Those are all great bikes. The LHT and Volpe have been used for touring (not sure about the others being used for touring, anyone else know?), and would serve you well in that area, along with general commuting purposes. You mentioned you test rode the LHT and Volpe. Sometimes, doing a test ride a second or third time, is useful to determine which bike is right for you. People can tell you which of these bikes they like or have experience with, but it really comes down to personal preference and what feels right to you when you test ride. They are all good quality bikes.
Old 06-10-09, 06:40 PM

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
First off welcome rva522. I know you are looking for suggestions on the specific bikes mentioned, but before I can give one I like to know a couple of things: What do you currently ride, how long have you been riding, what conditions do you ride in, and what do you like or dislike about it? A lot of posters have, or have experience with all the bikes you mentioned and of course will have thier favorites (I own the LHT myself). I think all of the bikes you mentioned will serve the purposes you described, but some will excel in different situations more than others.

When I was looking to upgrade from my original bike after a year or two commuting on it; I had a better idea from experience of what I wanted my new one to do better. From that experience I test rode as many bikes I could (Specialized Tricross, Connondale t2, Trek 520, Jamis Aurora, Surly LHT, Surly CC) over many months and wrote down what I liked or disliked about it. From thier I narrowed it down to what I have already done on my original bike (a commuterized mountain bike) and thought about what I would like to do in the future.

For specifics it sounds like you rode the 50cm or 52cm LHT. To me the LHT is a good compromise between the capabilites I wanted (comfortable, speed, adaptability, etc.), and the limitations inherent (speed, handling, weight). I knew the importance of the attributes I wanted from experience and decided from thier. Good luck in your decision rva522.
Old 06-10-09, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The yellow casseroll frame is sexy. Looks like it's able to accommodate a rear rack and fenders, not sure what the clearances are like though.

I commute on a cross check.
Old 06-10-09, 10:40 PM
slow 'n' steady

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i agree with most of what has already been said. the LHT is a different animal than the other bikes you are considering. also, the casserol seems to be a really nice bike and is popular with the fellas at my LBS, but i believe is set up with caliper brakes which may be something to consider.

i looked at the volpe and the crosscheck and ended up with the crosscheck. i'm still happy with my decision. it's fits the role of all purpose ride for me very well.

that said, i would seriously consider having a crosscheck custom built with your specific flavor of components if you have an idea of what you want. you'll save yourself time and money in the long run and it won't be much more that a complete initially either. i bought a complete and in under a hundred miles have decided to swap out almost everything on it save the rear derailer (and that may go soon too) buy once and cry once. not that there's anything wrong with the complete build that comes from surly, it's a great bike. heck, if you wanted to order a frame i'll have practically everything else (except the rear derailer, cables, and brake levers) for sale pretty directly. shoot me a pm and save some $.
Old 06-10-09, 10:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know you are looking for suggestions on the specific bikes mentioned, but before I can give one I like to know a couple of things: What do you currently ride, how long have you been riding, what conditions do you ride in, and what do you like or dislike about it?

Thanks to all of who've responded. excile, I have a five-year old Gary Fisher MTB with some hybrid-style tires (not sure what kind, but they're larger and slightly skinnier than your typical MTB tire) and a mid-80s Schwinn World Sport that I bought from a junk shop about two years ago. I think the frame's a little small on the Schwinn, plus it has stem shifters, which I find awkward, and the rear brake alone will not bring the bike to a stop if going down hill or moving at any kind of pace (could probably be adjusted, but they've been problematic all along). I like the drop bars, and that the Schwinn is faster and more responsive than the MTB, but I do feel unstable on it at times - of course, I think that's mostly due to the issues I described above.

The MTB is, of course, much more comfortable than the Schwinn, but obviously not ideal for city riding. At any rate, I do have an MTB, if I want to do some off-roading.

I am not currently commuting to work, but did so occasionally on the Schwinn when I lived a bit closer. Now I'm looking forwarding to commuting as much as possible, and generally spending more time on my bike and less time in the car. I'll admit though, I'm definitely a fair weather rider. I will not be riding in rain, unless I get caught : ) Does this help?
Old 06-10-09, 11:02 PM
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have the LHT, and it's my favorite bike ever. However, I wouldn't recommend it to the OP, given what you wrote in your post. It's a really nice, comfortable ride, but it's heavy and not so nimble, kind of like an old 1960s Buick with an enormous trunk. My sage advice is to test ride a Cross Check before you pull the trigger; a lot of people like that one, including me. I really like the Volpe, too. The Casserole is nice, too, but it doesn't seem as good a buy as the others I've mentioned, which is odd, since it's made by the same people who make the LHT and the Cross Check.

All the bikes you mentioned are ones I wouldn't mind riding, though; they're all very nice bikes for the money.
Old 06-10-09, 11:20 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I'm considering a bike for similar purposes and have looked at/ridden/shopped most of the bikes in the OP's list.

Another bike in this price range I'd consider is the Jamis Aurora Elite. It's billed as a touring bike, but really it's a "light" touring bike, not as heavy duty as the LHT. About $1500, which is cheaper than the Salsa. If you have a Jamis dealer around, it's worth looking at.

The LHT seems like overkill for the OP's stated purpose (too heavy); I'd look at the Salsa, Jamis, and Soma Double Cross if they're in your budget.
Old 06-10-09, 11:49 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 527 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 3,953 Times in 1,464 Posts
I don't have a specific recommendation, as all the bikes you're considering are excellent. I would say that you shouldn't be afraid to go with STI shifters. It's true that they are expensive if they do break (they also add a bit to the price of the bike), but they're not really brittle. You can probably get either of the Surlys built with STI, though it would likely cost more than the base price.
Old 06-11-09, 12:23 AM
Goathead Magnet

Bikes: Surly LHT, Cannondale Caffeine F3

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
Another bike in this price range I'd consider is the Jamis Aurora Elite. It's billed as a touring bike, but really it's a "light" touring bike, not as heavy duty as the LHT. About $1500, which is cheaper than the Salsa. If you have a Jamis dealer around, it's worth looking at.
I have a Jamis Aurora Elite (well, more of a custom build of an Aurora Elite frameset), and from my (so far very limited) experience, this assessment is exactly right. I had an Aurora previously, and absolutely loved it for the kind of riding I do - mostly commuting with a few pounds in my panniers, and some weekend rides and the occasional century. For loaded touring I think I'd go for something with a bit more of the "classic" touring geometry (an LHT would be on my short list), but my Jamis would serve well for the occasional weekend tour if I were so inclined.

Don't discount the plain-jane Aurora, either - it's got a frame that's a bit heavier and a chromoly fork instead of the Elite's carbon, but it's also got slightly more relaxed geometry and a very slightly longer rear triangle, which ought to increase the stability. It comes in around $1000 for MSRP.

A coworker just got a Cross Check, and if I didn't already have my Jamis, I'd most likely rush out and buy one. To me, it epitomizes the do-it-all bike - I can't see anything that it won't do at least passably well, except for racing. That said, I don't think I'd trade my Jamis for it, since my Jamis, to me, also epitomizes the do-it-all bike. I'd suggest that the OP should definitely find a dealer who can let her test ride the Cross Check, and if there's a Jamis dealer nearby, take a look at the Aurora and/or the Aurora Elite. For the riding I do, any one of these is an essentially ideal choice; perhaps it is for the OP, too.

That said, I don't think you're going to go wrong with any of the bikes discussed in this thread - if one whispers seductively to you, buy it; if one feels better, buy it; if you really love the color or the looks of one, buy it. It's easy to over-analyze the purchase when you could be out enjoying riding!
Old 06-11-09, 07:21 AM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Among complete bikes you mentioned I think the casserol triple most approaches the low gearing of the LHT and the zippy geometry of the CC. The Jamis Aurora is in that mode also but definitely narrower tire clearance and possibly higher stock gearing.

If you'd be on a 54cm or smaller LHT frame, that would have 26" tires, which I find to be a big plus but other people don't. For me, the beauty of the LHT is bombproof wheels with big huge fat tires. And the stock bike has low gearing to meet my topography/cargo needs.
Old 06-11-09, 08:23 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by rva522

Surly Long Haul Trucker
Surly Cross Check
Bianchi Volpe
Salsa Casserol
Soma Double Cross

I've ridden the Volpe and the LHT, and for the initial test ride it seemed to be more or less a toss-up. I found the STI shifters on the Volpe to be much easier for me than the LHT's barcons, although I've been reading about road thumbies, and suppose those could be added, as I know STIs can be expensive to fix. The Volpe may have felt slightly more nimble, while the LHT was a bit more comfortable (probably need another ride or two to tell for sure though). My LBS does not have Cross Checks in stock, and seemed to think the LHT was the better deal. I know they carry some Salsa bikes, but am not sure about Somas, which I understand do not come complete.

I'm a 5'7" female, about 125 lbs - with small feet (I know some people have problems with heel strikes on the Volpe, but I think I'll be good in that regard), if that affects your recommendation.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer - this is a big purchase!
I have the Soma Double Cross. It's a great do-it-all bike. However, I would recommend the Soma Smoothie ES. This bike is designed for long distance riding and light touring. It will provide the comfort and stability of the LHT but will be lighter and sportier feeling. Your needs fit the light touring description well, I would avoid the heavy touring bikes like the LHT and the Cyclocross bikes like the Double Cross or Cross Check.

The Salsa Casseroll and Jamis Aurora are also a good fit for your needs.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 06-11-09, 09:06 AM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

ALL of those bikes are excellent choices, you won't go wrong whichever you pick.

Whichever one you like the best, go fer it! - you could even base it on color. no biggie. but base your final purchase on FIT! and your impressions riding them. which one have you liked most so far? The Volpe?

EACH of the bikes mentioned serve as loyal steeds for thousands of riders - (well maybe not the Somas - yet)

Last edited by Bekologist; 06-11-09 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-11-09, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 4309 Post(s)
Liked 1,385 Times in 965 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
not so nimble
It's not quite clear what "nimble" means and why it matters. I'd suggest people are talking about two things: 1) how quick you can turn the bike and 2) how quick you can accelerate the bike (eg, up hills).

In my opinion, for most people, a touring bike is as nimble as they need for turning. There certainly are differences in preferences in turning quickness but a less "turny" bike (a bike that tracks straighter) is somewhat easier to ride for longer distances, especially when you are tired.

The quickness of acceleration is mostly the result of the weight of the bicycle (most importantly, in the wheels) and the stiffness of the frame. This is helpful for going up hills (could be important) and helpful for accelerating (not so important for most people). The trade off of this quickness is often sturdiness and comfort. That is, quick bicycles tend to be a bit more delicate and less comfortable.

Note that stiffness is some times related to tracking (the tendency to go straighter) because bicycles that track better (eg, touring bicycles) tend to be longer (have a longer wheelbase) and less stiff (but more comfortable).

The LHT and similar bicycles have a long wheelbase so they can carry a lot of weight (a load tends to make the bicycle act like it has a shorter wheelbase).

Keep in mind that differences in performance between different bicycles are not huge.

Basically, you are looking at three types of bicycles, which are different but not radically so.

1) Sport touring/Audax/Randonee -> Cassarole.
2) Cyclocross -> Double Cross.
3) Touring -> LHT

Any of these would work for what you want to do. All of them are versatile and none of them are especially "delicate". All of them allow wide tires (which is useful for rough/dirt and for making the bicycle more comfortable).

Given your weight and current lack of interest in doing heavy-loaded touring, I don't think you'd need to go the touring-bicycle route. As others have said, I might suggest favoring the Randonee type.

The thing that mostly distinguishes the xcross is that it has a higher bottom-bracket (where the pedals are). This allows better clearance over rough terrain but moves your center of gravity up (making the bicycle slightly less stable). People have no problems using xcross bicycles for what you want to do.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-11-09 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-11-09, 09:58 AM
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by njkayaker
1) Sport touring/Audax/Randonee -> Cassarole.
2) Cyclocross -> Double Cross.
3) Touring -> LHT

Good summary. My vote would be the Casseroll assuming you're a) not going to be actually "touring" and b) you don't have the desire to run larger than 28c tires (with fenders).

If I were personally going to buy a LHT, I would want to build, not buy complete, so my total cost would increase substantially.

Realistically, what I would end up doing is buying the bike that appeared as a good deal on ebay. If that didn't turn out, I'd sell and start over. I would only build or buy new if I knew what I really wanted.
Old 06-11-09, 10:29 AM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

If you are considering riding in the winter at all I'd take the casserole off the list. the LR brakes wouldn't clear a studded tire with fenders out of any of the 700c studded tires I've seen.

If you live in snow country, go with one of the bikes with Cantilever brakes.

Last edited by Bekologist; 06-11-09 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-11-09, 10:44 AM

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Miyata 310 (conversion)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love my Cross-Check and would recommend one to anyone!
Old 06-11-09, 11:27 AM
veggie commuter

Bikes: 2008 Bianchi Axis, 2000ish Gary Fisher Marlin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, my first thought was that w/your weight and what you plan to do you'd probably not want a super heavy (or a 'relatively heavier') bike. I started commuting on my old GF mtb too, had swapped in 'commuter' tires too, and I'm slightly taller than you and 35# heavier. For my new purchase I chose a cross bike after thinking I wanted a flat bar (for stability/handling/control) and really love it now that I've become used to it. At first I didn't even consider a drop bar bike and I'm not sure why I tried one, but I'm glad I did.

I tried the Crosscheck along the way and hated the feel. Didn't like a Jamis Aurora either. I thought I wanted steel but just really liked other bikes better once I rode them. My final choices were Spec. Tricross and Bianchi Axis and I picked the latter, but they were really close. I like that it's rugged but still light/fast compared to my old mtb. In the end no matter how much reading you do, it really does come down to what feels good and taking multiple rides to decide. Plus being female, I think the fit of one bike vs another can really vary from what the many male rider comments might imply. At least that's what I learned when I went from reading and asking all the dudes at LBSs; my own experiences riding the bikes were way different than I expected. I also had to get past the hype--Surlys are popular but they just don't feel right to me and it was hard to reconcile that with what I'd read.

It'll be fun no matter what you pick! They should all feel different than the Gary Fisher.
Old 06-11-09, 12:27 PM
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
Good summary. My vote would be the Casseroll assuming you're a) not going to be actually "touring" and b) you don't have the desire to run larger than 28c tires (with fenders).
From the Salsa Casseroll Triple description: "We’ve designed the Casseroll to use long-reach brakes so it accepts very large road tires, up to 700c x 32mm with fenders, and 700c x 37mm without." [emphasis mine]

Last edited by JBHoren; 06-11-09 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-11-09, 12:39 PM
Hey let's ride.

Bikes: Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A longer wheel base will turn less quickly but can have a smoother ride. I love riding my longer bikes. I have a tandem I sometimes take out by myself. Very comfy ride.
Old 06-11-09, 01:17 PM
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JBHoren
From the Salsa Casseroll Triple description: "We’ve designed the Casseroll to use long-reach brakes so it accepts very large road tires, up to 700c x 32mm with fenders, and 700c x 37mm without." [emphasis mine]

I don't care what they say. I have a Casseroll with fenders and 28's and if you can fit 32s on there you're a better fender-mounter than I am.

The issue isn't frame clearance, it's brake clearance. Change the brakes and you'd have more options. - or do something like bend/cut the fenders at the brakes and maybe... Or maybe gatorskins run big and the 32's they claimed to use ran small...
Old 06-11-09, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 4309 Post(s)
Liked 1,385 Times in 965 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
I don't care what they say. I have a Casseroll with fenders and 28's and if you can fit 32s on there you're a better fender-mounter than I am.

The issue isn't frame clearance, it's brake clearance. Change the brakes and you'd have more options. - or do something like bend/cut the fenders at the brakes and maybe... Or maybe gatorskins run big and the 32's they claimed to use ran small...
And, knubby tires need more clearance than smooth ones. (Maybe, she's not interested in running fenders.)

Keep in mind that bigger tires increase standover height.
Old 06-11-09, 01:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What Barrettscv says. I know it's not on the list you posted, but I vote for the Soma Smoothie ES, If you can get one assembled for you in your price range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.