Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Messenger Bags for commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-09, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need advice on a messenger bag for commuting. I commute 12 miles each way and have been using a back pack and garbage bags for about 5 weeks now. What I would really like to do is get a xtra large messenger bag that is water proof and will hold, my lappy, work clothes (maybe shoes), lunch, a paperback, some tools and spare parts, and a text book or two. I am trying to ride rain of shine and do not mind investing a little money for the right bag, however I do not want to end up with wet cloths because the bag i spent $100 is not really water proof.

any advice?

thanks
Old 06-11-09, 09:09 AM

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you can get them where you live, Baileybags are well made and...well, "waterproof", I wouldn't put my laptop into one and throw it into a swimming pool, but my coworker has one and claims he's never had anything get wet no matter how hard it rained (he's an all-weather boy).
Old 06-11-09, 09:14 AM
Frakabrash

Bikes: '03 Marlin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Seagull bag, and I have never had anything get wet. I have a large that holds pretty much everything I ever need it to.

seagulbags.com
Old 06-11-09, 09:33 AM

Bikes: 1991 Trek 2300 Pro Composite, 2009 Trek 7.6 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry a Cocotte Alfredo which accommodates clothes, shoes, paperwork, snack, and my 15" laptop (stowed in a Chrome Laptop Sleeve - btw, on sale for $9 at their website). There IS room for more I've had no issue with rain or slop getting in as well. I particularly appreciate the cinching straps on the back/bottom which effectively take up any slack when not utilizing the full capacity of the bag.
Old 06-11-09, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bugeyemonster
I need advice on a messenger bag for commuting. I commute 12 miles each way and have been using a back pack and garbage bags for about 5 weeks now. What I would really like to do is get a xtra large messenger bag that is water proof and will hold, my lappy, work clothes (maybe shoes), lunch, a paperback, some tools and spare parts, and a text book or two. I am trying to ride rain of shine and do not mind investing a little money for the right bag, however I do not want to end up with wet cloths because the bag i spent $100 is not really water proof.

any advice?

thanks
At 12 miles if you regularly throw a couple of hard cover text books in along with shoes, laptop, etc., a messenger bag may not be the best choice. That's going to get a bit heavy and bulky for a 12 mile ride in my opinion. I'm saying that as someone who uses a messenger bag nearly every day. If you're already doing that with a backpack and it doesn't bother you, you'll probably be fine. It wouldn't be fun for me though.

I keep all repair related items (pump, spare tube, patch kit, multi-tool, chain tool, lock) on the bike itself so that way if I ever ride without the messenger bag, I still have that stuff with me.

If the textbooks were just a once in awhile sort of thing, then it would work for me. I typically carry a laptop, lunch, a change of clothes, and some miscellaneous small and relatively light items. About once a week I have a new towel I bring into work and I may have to schlep something larger on occasion.

I use a timbuk2 bag that's waterproof and I ride regardless of weather. I've never had anything get wet unless I was carrying something liquid inside the bag that wasn't sealed completely.

Last edited by tjspiel; 06-11-09 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-11-09, 09:41 AM
FNG

Bikes: Raleigh Special * Nishiki MTN Winter Commuter * Trek Soho 3 * Specialized Langster Seattle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chrome Messenger. Big and comfy.
Old 06-11-09, 09:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.chromebagsstore.com/backdoorsale.html
the inventory on the sale changes all the time so you can wait until one their really big bags is up

chrome bags are waterproof, I know a guy that once rode in the rain for a few hours and all the stuff in his chrome was dry.

I have a Timbuk II, which has a waterproof lining on the inside but they don't prevent water from coming in from the sides of the cover as well as the Chrome bags do.
Old 06-11-09, 09:57 AM

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chrome Kremlin.
Old 06-11-09, 09:59 AM

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put on some panniers and call it a day. Loaded messenger bags and back packs will cause back problems in the long run because the weight is never evenly distributed.
Old 06-11-09, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you want waterproof there is nothing better than Ortleib.
Old 06-11-09, 10:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a set of panniers from Axium. I think I have the Typhoon models. Nothing gets wet inside the bag. The "waterproof" zipper pocket on the outside is a joke but the main bag rocks. In picked up the gray set at a LBS for $119.00. I ride just under 10 miles each day. Not having anything on me is great. Let the bike do some work.
Old 06-11-09, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by IbikezLA
https://www.chromebagsstore.com/backdoorsale.html
the inventory on the sale changes all the time so you can wait until one their really big bags is up

chrome bags are waterproof, I know a guy that once rode in the rain for a few hours and all the stuff in his chrome was dry.

I have a Timbuk II, which has a waterproof lining on the inside but they don't prevent water from coming in from the sides of the cover as well as the Chrome bags do.
I'd be interested in a Chrome if I could get one without the big metal seat-belt style buckle.

I have a Timbuk2 and I've never had a problem with stuff getting wet inside the bag even though I've ridden in some torrential rain storms. I am careful though to make sure the flap isn't folded away from the straps in such a way as to let water in. The chrome bags might be better designed in that regard.

By contrast, if I do ride in heavy rain I sometimes have to pull the tools out of my seat bag to dry them off.

Last edited by tjspiel; 06-11-09 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-11-09, 10:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I use a back pack now. The weight does not bother me. I am 280lb and my bag weighs 25 when packed. I do not carry everything every day. For instance I only need to transport the lappy sometimes. I leave it at work often. I only take classes 2 nights a week. So at least half of the time I will only have clothes, lunch, tools and spare parts.

I am not sure I want a pannier, they are not as comfortable to carry around when walking around campus, they cost more and non of the ones i have seen claim to be water proof. Most have a rain cover you have to stop and pull out of a special pocket and then cover the panniers.

I like the chrome bags. Checking those out now. seagull bags look sweet but the price is insane almost $400 for their biggest bag.
Old 06-11-09, 10:39 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
I have a Chapak messenger bag I got on sale at Nashbar a year or two ago. Does the job very nicely. It's asymmetrical, has to go over my right shoulder and hang a little off my left side.
Old 06-11-09, 11:29 AM
AMW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about an Alchemy Messenger Bag? You can Win one Free!

The company (SustainLane.com) I work for is giving away an Alchemy Goods Urban Messenger bag. The bag is great for commuting and is made of reclaimed bike inner tubes and car seat belts. It can fit a 17" laptop and is 100% waterproof. We are asking people to share their ideas on how they would reuse common household items. For every article you write, you will receive an entry into the drawing.

The goal of the website is to promote sustainability and greener living amongst its community. The tip you write will be read by a community that appreciates your resourcefulness and ingenuity towards saving our planet.

Submit your idea here!
Old 06-11-09, 01:10 PM

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I see the Pannier Police have arrived. Go start your own "panniers are great and if you use anything else, you're a moron" thread, people.
Old 06-11-09, 01:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol so I bought a metro chrome off the backdoor for $99. Hopefully it will be big enough.
Old 06-11-09, 03:21 PM
Got Scotch?

Bikes: QR Kilo, Specialized Crossroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Takabrash
I use a Seagull bag, and I have never had anything get wet. I have a large that holds pretty much everything I ever need it to.

seagulbags.com
+1

Black Bag medium or large, depending on how much you'll carry.
Old 06-11-09, 03:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's up with the Seagull bags? I see you have to pay extra for stuff like pockets or a U-lock holster, so what does the bag come with if I choose not to get anything extra?
Old 06-11-09, 03:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Chrome "Backbone." I have never rode in moderate to heavy rain, so I can't confirm that it will shed water in those conditions. I do and will ride in drizzle and light rains. Water has never entered my "Backbone" in these conditions.

I think it is a nice bag and well worth the price I paid for it.
Old 06-11-09, 04:02 PM
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travelmama
Put on some panniers and call it a day. Loaded messenger bags and back packs will cause back problems in the long run because the weight is never evenly distributed.
actually I find that a packed out messenger bag is far more comfortable than one with very few things in it. and if you pack correctly, the weight is distributed just fine.

pack heavy on the side that's going to be on the bottom, and lighter as you go higher on your back.

i've had good luck with Timbuk2 bags, but i'm actually using a cheapo bag right now, it's not waterproof so i throw stuff in a plastic bag when it rains.
Old 06-11-09, 04:17 PM
Got Scotch?

Bikes: QR Kilo, Specialized Crossroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IbikezLA
What's up with the Seagull bags? I see you have to pay extra for stuff like pockets or a U-lock holster, so what does the bag come with if I choose not to get anything extra?
Go to the website and check out the "black bag" section under bags:

https://www.seagullbags.com/black/

Those are the "basic/standard/non-custom" bags, and they have descriptions and pictures.

Anything else you have them build for you will be a custom bag, built to your specs. It will also cost a lot more.
Old 06-12-09, 11:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bugeyemonster
Well I use a back pack now. The weight does not bother me. I am 280lb and my bag weighs 25 when packed. I do not carry everything every day.
Sounds like messenger bag would be good for you.

I have Chrome Metropolis (their second largest), and it should hold everything you list. Mine holds up to rain very well - I've never had anything get wet inside, even in a downpour. It is very durable - mine is a bit dirty (I got yellow one for visibility =) - but if washed it'd look as good as when I got it.

Others may know more though.