Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

bar end shifter w/ cane creek tt levers?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-11, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love my cane creek tt 200 levers (w/ rb-018's), but want to replace my 5 speed dérailleur with a Sturmey-Archer S3X. Is there any way to use the bar end shifter without giving up one of the tt levers? I'm sure some one must have thought about this. The levers have rubber end caps, and I'm thinking that removing one and modifying the shifter barrel might allow mounting the shifter inside the end of the tt lever?
Old 01-03-11, 12:29 AM
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If it can be done, I haven't seen it. Since both the brake lever and the shifter rely on an expansion plug for fit, it would be difficult to make it work out.

You might be able to make something out of this but it is designed for shimano bar end shifters. I have no idea if it would work at all, and if it did, it's meant to be more of a 'speed modulator' than a full brake.
Old 01-03-11, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thinking that the shifters expansion plug could be removed with the remaining barrel turned down to fit inside the tt lever end plug cavity. But the cable routing would be problematic since both cables would normally exit at 6:00. The Jtek lever seems to have solved this with a 9/3:00 cable exit design. My past experience with speed modulator's is that you're just as well off skipping the lever altogether and pretending that you have a brake
Old 01-03-11, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sturmey-Archer sells a thumb shifter for the S3X. I think it is sized for mountain bike bars. However, what you could do is get a file or some emory paper and enlarge the clamp so it will fit your bars. Then you can mount it at the end of the bars near the brake lever using the clamp. That way your brake levers are still plugging the ends of the bars, and yet the shifter is right at the end of the bars as well.
Old 01-04-11, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
I'm thinking my next build might be a Sturmey Archer with bullhorns, and I think I'll be setting up the controls like Felt did with the Gridlock model.
https://urbanvelo.org/felt-2010-urban-bikes-preview/
This setup uses interrupter levers, like this.

The bar end shifter is mounted upside down so the cables don't interfere with each other.
I have not ridden a bike with this set up, but I've seen one on a bike shop floor, and it looks pretty cool.
The end of a road brake cable fits in the adjuster barrel on these levers, and it gives you an adjustment point that you don't get with TT levers.