Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help me with a list for a general overhaul after a long ride

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-11, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I just got done with a cross-country ride and my touring bike is in need of some love. I have some wear (maybe rust) in the dropouts, ditto the seatpost. I've never done an overhaul before but I would like to, but I need a list of what I might want to do before I find the tools and begin. I found list here:

https://www.bikeschool.com/PDF_Files/...eck%20List.pdf

anyone know of any other sites that give overhaul lists.

Thanks
jack
Old 01-07-11, 04:38 PM
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
That is about as thorough as one would want - no time to pore over every item. Of course it's only a checklist, not the procedure you need to go through for each item. It's not important that you've not done an overhaul before but is important whether you have overhauled and adjusted bearings, drive train parts, etc. It's not just about overhauling (disassemble, lube reassemble) but also about evaluating what needs to be replaced due to wear, corrosion, etc. For example you may not need to replace (and therefore cut) the shift cables.
Old 01-07-11, 04:47 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,097 Times in 743 Posts
Have you done any or all of the jobs needed for an overhaul, even if not at one time? If not, reading a good repair manual is your first step. There is no way this forum can, or should, lead you through every step of the process. We will be happy to answer specific questions but not generic ones.
Old 01-07-11, 04:55 PM
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
That is about as thorough as one would want - no time to pore over every item. Of course it's only a checklist, not the procedure you need to go through for each item. It's not important that you've not done an overhaul before but is important whether you have overhauled and adjusted bearings, drive train parts, etc. It's not just about overhauling (disassemble, lube reassemble) but also about evaluating what needs to be replaced due to wear, corrosion, etc. For example you may not need to replace (and therefore cut) the shift cables.
+1

Some of the things on the list are unnecessary, unless the bike is in truely sad and un-rideable condition. Such as:

- Cutting shift and brake cables
- Removing tires and tubes

I'm sure there are others. Some things I simply didn't agree with. Instead of a strict list, I usually work on one part of the bike at a time. Rebuild the hubs, redo the brakes, etc. Doing it all at once creates more mess and confusion for me.
Old 01-07-11, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
First wash it and measure the chain. Replace it it if it measures 12 & 1/16" in 1' of chain. Overhaul the hubs and lub the freehub body. The bottom bracket if it is an old cup and cone needs an overhaul. Some of the newer outboard bearing BB's can have the seal removed and the bearings cleaned and relubed.
Go Park tool's web site for more info.
Old 01-07-11, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This Trek Owner Manual might help you, especially chapter 2: maintenance schedule. There is also a checklist before ride.
https://www.trekbikes.com/pdf/owners_...OM_english.pdf