Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Quality of Park Tools

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Quality of Park Tools

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-11, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quality of Park Tools

Anyone have any issues with any Park Tools that they have purchased recently? This past summer I bought a PCS-10, and the metal button that pops out to hold the legs in place on the main support was not installed properly. After alot of fiddling with it, I was able to get it usable and avoided returning it to the store.

Just a few days ago I bought the TS-8 truing stand, and the gauge support was not drilled properly, preventing the gauge from mounting to it correctly. I called customer support and they are sending me a new part, but I find it kinda odd that I have had problems with 2 of their tools right out of the box - brand new.

Anyone else have similar issues?
Old 01-08-11, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
we had a park crank puller that destroyed a crank the first time it was used. if i recall, we took measurements on it and the total diameter was slightly undersize. this caused the threads to not fully engage and it pulled the threads out of an old rx100 crank. park said the tool was within their tolerance range so we just threw it away in favor of a campagnolo puller.

our park campagnolo lock ring tool is also a little soft. it looks years and years older than our campagnolo made tool that has been used much more (the campagnolo still looks new)
Old 01-08-11, 11:27 AM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I often thought it a shame that SnapOn Tools doesn't make bicycle tools. Or do they?
Old 01-08-11, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by xizangstan
I often thought it a shame that SnapOn Tools doesn't make bicycle tools. Or do they?
trek partnered with snap on with their wrench force line but that line is no more. some tools were rebadged snap on/williams. the wrench force line never really caught on as park is really entrenched in the market.
Old 01-08-11, 01:24 PM

Bikes: 1983 Gureciotti/full SR 2002 Casati Record 10 speed 1995 Colnago C40 2007 Sram Rival 2006 Isaac Sram Force 2000 DEAN Ti DA 10 speed 1987 Schwinn Prologue Funny Bike 2001 Pinarello DA 9 speed 2008 Element6 Record 10speed Origin8 Lutegra10speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Park Tool rules the bicycle tool waves because they created a high bench mark for quality bicycle tools. I have bought Pedro's , Hozan , Craftman , Stanley , Crescent , Ultimate , Wheels Manufacturing and many other brands of tools thru the years. All the shops that I have worked for in the past & my current shop use mostly Park Tools. Have I ever had a bad Park Tool -- yes -- their floor pumps. Park Tool will stand behind their products. They make a tool for almost any job needed for a bike shop or home mechanic. Do all the shopping around that you want. Park Tool will still be the brand to beat.
Old 01-08-11, 01:29 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
in a thread with 4 first hand experiences with poor quality tools i think your post is a little bit of a stretch. are most part tools good? yes. are they the best or the brand to beat? not at all. (unless you count sales volume)

i have yet to see tools that are at the level of campagnolo.
Old 01-08-11, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
I've had trouble with two laser cut headset wrenches from Park. They were cut inaccurately and rounded off the aluminum nuts. Other than that, their tools have been good. bk
Old 01-08-11, 01:42 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
so now he have a total of 6 bad tools. three of which damaged components.
Old 01-08-11, 01:55 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by reptilezs
trek partnered with snap on with their wrench force line but that line is no more. some tools were rebadged snap on/williams. the wrench force line never really caught on as park is really entrenched in the market.
No wonder. My ex-wife bought a Wrench Force floor pump many years ago that has refused to leak or die. The real weird stuff is that the pump was all made of "plastic", but it has refused to leak or die. I have always wondered why that is, until I am now reading that it was probably made for TREK by Snap-On.
Old 01-08-11, 01:56 PM

Bikes: 1983 Gureciotti/full SR 2002 Casati Record 10 speed 1995 Colnago C40 2007 Sram Rival 2006 Isaac Sram Force 2000 DEAN Ti DA 10 speed 1987 Schwinn Prologue Funny Bike 2001 Pinarello DA 9 speed 2008 Element6 Record 10speed Origin8 Lutegra10speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did I say that Park Tool was the best tool made? I only said that they set a high standard of quality. I own Campagnolo tools as well and they are very good. Campagnolo no longer produces tools for many of the current bike needs. For the cost of Campagnolo tools they should be the best -- but many of their tools are out dated unless you are working on vintage bikes (just so you know -- I work on vintage on bikes). I have been wrenching for 38 years and between my store , my man cave and my tools set aside for mobile repair/race site events -- I own allot of tools.

I have yet to pay more for any tool than I payed for a Campagnolo tool. Not even close.
Old 01-08-11, 02:00 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TLCFORBIKES
Did I say that Park Tool was the best tool made? I only said that they set a high standard of quality. I own Campagnolo tools as well and they are very good. Campagnolo no longer produces tools for many of the current bike needs. For the cost of Campagnolo tools they should be the best -- but many of their tools are out dated unless you are working on vintage bikes (just so you know -- I work on vintage on bikes). I have been wrenching for 38 years and between my store , my man cave and my tools set aside for mobile repair/race site events -- I own allot of tools.

I have yet to pay more for any tool than I payed for a Campagnolo tool. Not even close.
"

Does your Campagnolo "tools" include that ridiculously priced $250 wine opener?

What a joke!
Old 01-08-11, 02:02 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TLCFORBIKES

i can agree with you almost completely. in our case the crank puller should have never left the factory and park refused to stand behind it. (we had it checked by a machinist, it was wrong)

Originally Posted by Jed19
No wonder. My ex-wife bought a Wrench Force floor pump many years ago that has refused to leak or die. The real weird stuff is that the pump was all made of "plastic", but it has refused to leak or die. I have always wondered why that is, until I am now reading that it was probably made for TREK by Snap-On.
i would put money that snap-on had nothing to do with your bike pump. snap on doesnt even produce there own tools of this nature

"

Does your Campagnolo "tools" include that ridiculously priced $250 wine opener?

What a joke!
i dont drink wine, but wine drinkers (not cyclists) say that it is a great tool and if you can afford it, worth it.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 01-08-11 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-08-11, 02:13 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Okay. I just think $250 for a wine opener that is not even stainless steel is kinda ridiculous. I understand it's made of aluminum.
Old 01-08-11, 02:21 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Okay. I just think $250 for a wine opener that is not even stainless steel is kinda ridiculous. I understand it's made of aluminum.
#1 the thing is HUGE:
https://www.cyclingnewsasia.com/en/te...915-an-li-shan

the normal sized one is like half the price.

#2 the price is in line with other "boutique" openers:
https://www.google.com/products/catal...4FA#ps-sellers

https://www.beveragefactory.com/wine/...0___5405.shtml

https://www.beveragefactory.com/wine/...e_opener.shtml

i dont think the target market is the occasional wine drinker. i personally would never buy one.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 01-08-11 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-08-11, 02:31 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
^They could at least try and make it of stainless steel or Ti.
Old 01-08-11, 02:31 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
more research shows it has an aluminum body with stainless steel parts.

apparently its patent telescoping self centering design prevents disturbing the bottle potentially saving very expensive aged wine. maybe it's not the cost of the opener that it ridiculous but the price of the wine it was intended for.

here is another aluminum "tool"

chris king tamper

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 01-08-11 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-08-11, 04:52 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5956 Post(s)
Liked 2,862 Times in 1,595 Posts
It isn't the material that determines quality, it's the function. What makes the Campy corkscrew worthwhile for drinkers of aged wines is that the auger is of a large diameter, vs. the helical wire of typical corkscrews. That, the aligning system, and the good leverage make it the opener of choice for old wines where cork shredding is likely to be a problem.

Anyone who's ripped a hole through a cork, or broken one off halfway in while opening a fine Bordeaux can appreciate the Campy screw. Whether it's worth $250 is up to those who are considering buying one, though one restaurant I frequent still often pours me wine on the house over 20 years after I gifted them the corkscrew.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-08-11, 05:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Campagnolo Big Lusso Corkscrew (Bronze color). It has stayed in the wooden box that it came in except for maybe 2-3 times in the past 8 years. Probably the last Campagnolo tool I ever bought. Luckly being a dealer I didn't pay even close to $250 - but it wasn't cheap. It works great and so does some corkscrews that cost 1/10th of the cost of the Lusso Big Corkscrew. I do not have a machine shop with all the really nice manly tools but I do have a nice selection of bicycle related tools and toys. I drooled over Campagnolo "anything" since the early 70's - bought some parts and components and still drool over Campagnolo. But now I know there are other components and tools that are good and in a few cases better than Campagnolo.
Old 01-08-11, 05:31 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 397 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
It isn't the material that determines quality, it's the function. What makes the Campy corkscrew worthwhile for drinkers of aged wines is that the auger is of a large diameter, vs. the helical wire of typical corkscrews. That, the aligning system, and the good leverage make it the opener of choice for old wines where cork shredding is likely to be a problem.

Anyone who's ripped a hole through a cork, or broken one off halfway in while opening a fine Bordeaux can appreciate the Campy screw. Whether it's worth $250 is up to those who are considering buying one, though one restaurant I frequent still often pours me wine on the house over 20 years after I gifted them the corkscrew.
Yeah- it's overkill for anything like "Two Buck Chuck" from Trader Joe's . For supremely rare vintage wines with iffy corks... then it's worth it. Every tool has a purpose.

FWIW: my old employer had a stack of Campagnolo tool kits as tall as me. (And I'm the one they called "Big Jeff"... "Little Jeff" was 6-foot-1.)

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 01-08-11, 05:36 PM
Fred-ish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Park bottom bracket hook spanner it too big to properly engage the three pins into the lock ring. Most of the other stuff works OK but the quality seems closer to Harbor Freight than to Craftsman or Kobalt tools.
Old 01-08-11, 05:40 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 643 Posts
One thing I like about Park is that they stand behind their tools and will send replacement parts. Example, I have an old version of the PRS2 workstand, must be AT LEAST 15 years old, maybe older, I bought it used off C/L. It was missing a small part, so I sent Park an email asking how to buy the part. They sent me the part free, no charge.

On the other hand, I picked up a five year old Minoura 6000 workstand that the prior owner had messed up the mast. It has a small nylon bushing inside the mast. I contacted Minoura directly, they told me the parts were no longer available, even though you can still buy this stand brand new on line. And their product diagram was a joke. It showed the mast assembly as one part, when in reality, it has about 15 to 20 parts inside of it. The reason I was looking for a good diagram is the former owner had taken the mast apart to "fix" it, and then could not figure out how to put it back together.

Park 1, Minoura zero.
Old 01-08-11, 05:53 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 97 Posts
If you buy Park Tools you will usually get a decent product and decent support but in many cases, there are better tools for the job out there.

Seems like their quality has dropped from where it used to be and I am seeing more and more complaints... I have never liked their cone wrenches or their chain whips.

And they seem to make a tool for every little thing.
Old 01-08-11, 06:01 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
park did not stand behind their crank puller. they probably did not want to take fault for rendering a crank arm useless.
Old 01-08-11, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
If you buy Park Tools you will usually get a decent product and decent support but in many cases, there are better tools for the job out there.

Seems like their quality has dropped from where it used to be and I am seeing more and more complaints... I have never liked their cone wrenches or their chain whips.

And they seem to make a tool for every little thing.
can you provide example of tools(bicycle specific) that are better than the park version? not trying to start a debate just curious
Old 01-08-11, 07:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tacx makes great BB instillation/removal tools ($25). Sunlite Ergo FW remover (w/handle) is a good cheap tool ($10 - $15) to remove /install cassette lockring. As stated earlier -- there are several examples of tools that are considered better than Park Tool. A lot of companies are trying to cut back on budgets which may effect product quality. Park Tool may be not the same quality as in the old days and the same can be said about many things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.