Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Do you get deals at LBS because you restore bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-11, 03:26 PM

Bikes: 2001 Marin Bobcat Trail, 2010 Motobecane Vent Noir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went to my LBS today looking for a cotter pin, seat post, and some other odds and ends.

When I spoke to the owner she was really enthused about me restoring my bike and asked me to send her pictures. Then when I asked about the cotter pins and seat post she went into the shop/storage area and got me the pins for 2$ and gave me a used seat post for 12$ which was way cheaper than the ones out front.

She said "Its got a couple scratches and a spot of rust on it" and I said "That's perfect, it'll match the bike"

I've been going there for a little while and I'm starting to see the value of knowing the LBS folks.

Do a lot of you folks get access to cheaper pull off parts as a result of restoring bikes?
Old 03-25-11, 03:29 PM

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
People I buy parts from seem REALLY HAPPY to finally get rid of (whatever) old stuff I am interested in.
Old 03-25-11, 03:33 PM

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
The LBS I go to, gives me discounts on new and used parts and bikes, and sometimes I get to look thru Boxes full of Vintage tools and get deals on those too.
Old 03-25-11, 03:33 PM

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I get weird looks from the kids, does that count?
Old 03-25-11, 03:36 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
My LBS GIVES me vintage bikes and parts, they don't "do" vintage outside of some Schwinn stuff.

Here is the latest one all dolled up and ready to go, can't find the before pictures at the moment.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-25-11, 03:52 PM
Restore, ride, repeat...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get good deals at my local LBS, specially if I pay cash. They don't go into their vaults of old stuff too often but they'll help me out with projects for very cheap. In response I try to buy as much stuff as I can over there.
Old 03-25-11, 03:55 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 4,440 Times in 2,105 Posts
Depends on the LBS. Some appriciate it, and give you good prices as a result. Others get smart if you show up too frequently, and jack up the prices thinking they can squeeze it out of you.

-Kurt

Old 03-25-11, 04:14 PM
Rolling along

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not yet...I go in often enough to be known by name though. My LBS is a vintage bike fan and has a large area of his shop dedicated to nice vintage bike collection. He is very partial to Schwinn and Raleigh, although he has a vintage Fuji Team hanging too, as well as some cool vintage kids bikes.
Old 03-25-11, 04:18 PM
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Just a handful of times, and it depends on whose working. The LBS owner is very friendly with me and usually shows me any cool doodads that he thinks I would appreciate whether they are for sale or not but mostly he lets me use their tools. He is my absolute favorite. Another guy that works at the same shop is a vintage enthusiast and he gave me an insane deal on a new looking Campy NR crank set, 15 dollars!
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 03-25-11, 04:22 PM
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
I get a pretty good discount (20%) because I have tools that they don't keep on hand for the older bikes that occasionally come in.

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 03-25-11, 04:23 PM
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 286 Post(s)
Quoted: 2217 Post(s)
Liked 4,742 Times in 1,802 Posts
I find that most of them don't really care. The shop that was most helpful in the past got my business, and they have recently discovered me as a target for the old and or interesting stuff that they sometimes have to take in exchange for a new bike. I've bought some of them and probably paid more than they expected because now they've started giving me presents. I like that.
Old 03-25-11, 04:36 PM
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Mine will always work with me, and if they get interesting bikes in they'll call me down even just to ogle. They've been in business for 40 years or so now and there's a good deal of old stock still squirreled away that they're really nice about digging out and opening up when I need oddball parts.

The 2 older guys are happy to see me interested, and the younger guys just wanna see what crazy contraption of a bike I'm on.
Old 03-25-11, 05:48 PM
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2299 Post(s)
Liked 2,061 Times in 1,258 Posts
I've nurtured relationships with a handful of LBS's and it's always been mutually beneficial.

Of course you have find shops and mechanics who like it that way.
Old 03-25-11, 06:46 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 637 Posts
Just the opposite, mine think I am a PITA. OK, so maybe I am, but I do spend money, on stuff no one else wants. They really don't want to be bothered, would rather sell new bikes and do tuneups.

In this market, thats where the money is, so I do not blame them.

Last edited by wrk101; 03-25-11 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-25-11, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
They..........would rather sell new bikes and do tuneups.

......... thats where the money is, so I do not blame them.
It's nice to see that someone here understands how an LBS makes money.
Old 03-25-11, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
I get all my parts at wholesale.....
Old 03-25-11, 07:11 PM

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
I would have to say the Large majority of the ones around here just want to sell you a carbon frame bike each and everytime you walk in.....
Old 03-25-11, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 111 Posts
I dropped into one of the local shops today, having a few minutes to kill due to the rain outside. All very high end, new bikes inside. No price tags to be seen anywhere. I'm not too up on what's new these days so asked a few questions about the hardware on display. One piece cranks. Electronic shifters (no cables!) 12 lb. complete bikes. "How much?" $13,000 was the reply. After nearly choking on my donut, I told the young salesman that I was still riding my 1971 Gitane Super Corsa and 1984 Specialized Expedition. I felt like I had just stepped out of the Stone Age! No deals on Vintage parts in that shop!
Old 03-25-11, 07:25 PM

Bikes: 2001 Marin Bobcat Trail, 2010 Motobecane Vent Noir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS told me that anytime I need anything old or weird to stop in, the guy that owned it passed it on to his son who is the mechanic. They still have almost all the old stuff from this bike store which has been around since the 60's.

Of course this place sells a lot of new bikes and that's where they make their money. I will go down there and willingly spend 20$ on a 10$ chain to get it that day and help support the LBS.
Old 03-25-11, 07:37 PM

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 41 Posts
The guys at the LBS I was dealing with the most ("was" because they recently closed their doors, sadly) were initially amused when I first got to know them. Then they were kind of fascinated by the various bikes I would ride in on. I tried to give them as much business as I could and they appreciated it; I got deals all the time, sometimes they'd just give me stuff when I'd come in looking for the odd screw or whatever. They let me dig through the "junk" in the backroom. I'm going to miss them - especially now that I have to forge a new relationship with a different group of guys who don't seem as friendly, and whose shop has nothing of interest in it for me. Darn it.
Old 03-25-11, 07:41 PM
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
There is a cool used/refurbished bike shop in my area that has been a good resource (too bad I'm moving away). If it's OK to plug the name, it's called Brave New Wheel [if not, mods can edit]
Since they deal with old bikes, it's a great place to find odd & ends that are too small and or obscure to advertise on Ebay/CL and pay shipping for [or even BF ISO/trade, in some cases].
Good example, I scored a good 1st gen Cyclone on Ebay that was missing the mounting bolt. The LBS let me rummage around in their drawers and let me have a compatible bolt for free. In several similar situations, I've been able to rummage around and find what I need, for a very nominal price. Also, in my early days, before I had the cojones to do my own wheel buildint/truing, they charged me all of $10 to true a rear wheel that was basically unridable when I handed it to them.
In reciprocation, I like to give them my business for new consumables that I need on short notice and/or in small quantities, i.e. in situations that don't warrant searching online and paying/waiting for shipping, e.g. cables, spokes.
Obviously, their main business is flipping used bikes and selling parts & maintenance to non-mechanical cyclists; I have no illusions that they're dependent on the likes of me to keep their lights on; however, I like to think there is a feeling of respect and camaraderie between us.
Old 03-25-11, 07:55 PM

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1976 Gitane Tour de France

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I buy from one shop for new parts, It's an older single location shop the guys are great and very friendly. I have a couple sources for oddball old used bits as well.

I honestly don't care if I pay retail for parts at the LBS simply due to the fact that they have virtually everything I need all the time and a wealth of knowledge when I need advice, I'd rather support them so they can keep doing what they're doing rather than beat them up for a discount.

Seriously, how many shops can you walk into these days and have a choice of several different sizes and brands of 27" tires?

Old 03-25-11, 08:10 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Honestly, reading these forums has made me largely avoid the local bike shops. For me it's like walking into a car dealership when I should be in an auto parts shop, and I rather not antagonize them.

The shop that would probably be the most receptive to my needs around here has an owner that's been trying to sell and retire.

I was in a shop in the next town with a friend, and I left them my number if they ever got a tall vintage bike for a trade in, but I didn't get the feeling I'd ever get a call. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

There is another shop in Portsmouth that has nice old stuff now and then, should leave them my email.
Old 03-25-11, 08:16 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
I've been given discounts and occasionally even free old parts. They are interested.
Old 03-25-11, 08:35 PM

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm sure my lbs would rather sell new bikes and do tune-ups. But It did help one day when I showed them the result of a wheel set I was cleaning up. I think that changed their perspective from 'a nutter who talks a lot of crap' to 'a nutter who actually does a lot of crap'.

I suppose If I were in business, I'd rather spend my time on people who can't fix their own bicycles. I do like to buy my park tools there though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.