Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Handlebar tape

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Handlebar tape

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-11, 07:58 AM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Handlebar tape

Hi All, Because of my rainy day(s) tinkering and the T700 build I've wrapped four handlebars in semi rapid succession. While I wrapped one with my favorite Cinelli cork I moved out of my comfort zone with a couple of other brands. We've all seen black handlebar tape so I didn't take pictures.

For the '80 RRA I tried some Origin8 PROpulsion. Nice, but has a "finger groove" pattern and isn't as smooth as the Cinelli tape.

For the T700 I used Salsa Gel Cork. This is non adhesive, has an appearance similar to Cinelli, but again not quite as smooth. It isn't as padded as some gel tapes, which I like and I tried it hoping that it'll be tolerant of wet riding.

The final brand I bought is Fizik Microtex tape. I haven't installed it yet (waiting on some 600 levers) and would like comments from those that've used it.

Brad
Old 03-27-11, 12:20 PM

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 957 Posts
I tried installing the Fizik for a friend, on his bike and, quite frankly, blew it. Part of the problem was that I had never used that tape before, so my negative appraisal is not all the tape's fault.

I found the tape to be very hard to conform to tight curves. Wrapping the brake lever/bar transition points did not look good, in my opinion. Again, perhaps if I knew how to wrap handlebars properly.

I have, however, wrapped about four hundred sets of bars, in the last few years, and all successfully, with the cheapo/looks/vintage/stuff, I use.

I should add that one other, lack of successful wrapping, occurred a few years ago, when I tried to wrap cotton tape on my Peugeot PX10(well, it was mine, up until last Thursday). That installation did not go as well as I was expecting and I went back to the stuff I know best...
Old 03-27-11, 12:28 PM
Wookie Jesus inspires me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like Fizik. As randy said, it takes some care to get around the bends, but when you get it right, it looks goooood. One thing though, Fizik doesn;t have much padding. A lot of people will use gloves with it to compensate for the lack of padding. Fizik is my preferred bar tape.
Old 03-27-11, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
I still use cloth on my older bikes, but for after trying everything else on my newer bikes, I have settled on Bike Ribbon Pro padded tape:

It's cheap-
Its durable-
It's easy to wrap.

- and it has a good tactile feel - not to hard and not mushy, like many other padded/cork tapes.
Old 03-27-11, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well.. I am still a fan of Benotto, double wrapped of course, and I find them on Ebay. Different sellers have different prices. The padding or lack padding is/was never an issue for me.