Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Figuring out the year on a Mongoose Alta

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-14, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I came across a used Mongoose Alta with two sets of tires -- slicks and knobby -- on craigslist that I'm thinking about buying for some local greenways and easier trails. I've done a little research and it looks like this thing is from before Pacific Bikes turned Mongoose into a Walmart brand. Also, I think the material is Chromoly steel. However, I don't know enough about bikes in general to be sure.

Here are my questions for you:
  • Can anyone tell from the picture what year or year-range the bike is?
  • What do you think the value of this bike is?
  • Any other advice you care to give?

Picture:

Seller's description:
Bike has been professionally tuned and is ready to go. Would make a great commuter. Size is 21" or 54cm. Can accommodate a taller rider as it has a long seat post (seen in picture). Currently has 80 psi slicks on it with thornproof tubes. Includes a set of knobby tires as well.

Since it's a bigger frame, some of you might wonder about my height. I'm 5'11.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
00i0i_LjvhIgt1bn_600x450.jpg (31.0 KB, 261 views)

Last edited by Versking; 06-24-14 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Picture was too small
Old 06-24-14, 09:47 AM

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
Holy giant seatpost, Batman!
Old 06-24-14, 10:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, if I do get it, that thing is going to get lowered quite a bit.
Old 06-25-14, 02:48 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I'm a little concerned about your leg length and the size of thea frame. If your legs are long, maybe its OK. I'm 5'9" with medium length legs (I wear 30" long jeans). If i rode that bike and jumped off, I'd be singing a whole lot higher notes. I can ride a 18" vintage frame. You need to be sure that top tube doesn't cause a sex change.
As for the year, I'd guess early 90s. Back then Mongoose made some good MTBs. I've had a couple and don't consider them to be any better than the other good brands, but certainly on par with the others. Then Pacific and Dorel got involved and we all know what happened.
If the bike is working well, I'd say it's worth about $100.
Old 06-26-14, 01:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
I'm a little concerned about your leg length and the size of thea frame. If your legs are long, maybe its OK. I'm 5'9" with medium length legs (I wear 30" long jeans).
I test road the bike two days ago, and the frame was on the upper limit of size for me (I think), but it still seemed to fit. Here's how I checked it -- please let me know if this is the right strategy -- I stood over the highest point on the top tube and had space to pull the frame upward without immediately hitting any important parts.

The guys at the LBS next door to me recommended a 19" frame originally and commented that my legs do seem longer than the average. My pants are 32" long if I do the "it should just graze the top of your shoes" fit.

I'm certainly new to all this, so please let me know if I'm thinking about the sizing the wrong way.
Old 06-27-14, 03:35 AM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12963 Post(s)
Liked 7,885 Times in 4,191 Posts
I'd guess 1995. Kind of a pig at 27 lbs. but rides nice. Check stem also for being past the minimum insertion mark, doesn't look too safe to me. If you need the bars that high but the stem needs to drop, get yourself some riser bars.

I wouldn't go above $60, personally.

We've had a 1996 IBOC camping out on the local CL for a while now at $100. I bet I could get it for $70 cash and it's a couple pounds lighter.

Mongoose IBOC Zero-G bike (mint condition)

For MTBs I like to be able to lift the front wheel a couple inches before top tube contact is made.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 06-27-14 at 03:39 AM.
Old 06-27-14, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Difficult to judge the year from the Mr. Blurrycam photo. I think @LesterOfPuppets guess of '95 is dead-on based on color and the fact that it has a top-pull FD. I have an '87 Alta that I saved from the dumpster now doing commuter duty. Not a lightweight, but the chromoly double-butted frame is rock-solid and handles very nicely.

Size might be a little big for you. If you're going to ride mostly pavement, gravel, or even light singletrack you can certainly get away with it. For anything more rugged, a smaller frame is advisable.

Price (assuming everything is in good working order) ... around $75 depending on where you live and how bad you want it
Old 01-05-17, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alta

My X had a 1996 Alta. Here was aluminum and suited her fine. Nonetheless, after 4 years she cracked the head tube. Frame became scrap. If it's aluminum..go over it carfully. Good luck
Old 01-05-17, 07:48 PM

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by RESURGAM
My X had a 1996 Alta. Here was aluminum and suited her fine. Nonetheless, after 4 years she cracked the head tube. Frame became scrap. If it's aluminum..go over it carfully. Good luck
I'm sure he decided whether to buy or not 2.5 years ago.
Old 01-05-17, 07:50 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 902 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
I'm sure he decided whether to buy or not 2.5 years ago.
Thanks for your comment but a warning on a cracked frame is always welcome, no matter how old the bike is.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 01-05-17, 07:51 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 902 Posts
Originally Posted by RESURGAM
Thanks for the heads up and welcome to Bike Forums!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.