Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Recommend me a bike please

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-14, 04:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm looking for a new bike as mine got stolen from my garage . I have claimed off the house insurance, the only thing is I need to pick one from their website so I'm a bit limited by my choice and I don't know that much about bikes so looking for a bit of advice on what to get.

I will probably ride 50% on pavement, 25% on hard-packed gravel trails, and 25% on single track-type trails

This was my previous bike I got stolen
Evans Cycles | Saracen Mantra X-27 2010 Mountain Bike | Online Bike Shop

he insurance company said I have £500 to get a bike from their website but can pay more if I like a bike that cost more and will get 25% off the extra I pay. The most I would pay would be a bike at the value of £750 maybe a bit more.

This is the website I've got to get one from. I've put the search price at £500-£800.
Mountain bikes | Wheelies Direct Bike Replacement

So far I like the look of these ones but like I say I don't know much about bikes and would like If someone could look at these or if they see a better choice on the website.

Scott Scale 970 2014 Scale 970 2014 Mountain Bike | Scott | Wheelies Direct Bike Replacement
GT Karakoram Elite 2014 Karakoram Elite 2014 Mountain Bike | GT | Wheelies Direct Bike Replacement
GT Avalanche Elite 2014 Avalanche Elite 2014 Mountain Bike | GT | Wheelies Direct Bike Replacement

Thanks
Old 07-05-14, 08:13 AM
Fricklefrack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its hard to give you an answer since it is your bike and not mine. Without riding them its a shot in the dark. I would decide what your max is that you want to pay and then find the bike with the best components in your price range. Honestly, half of those brands ive never heard of and must be UK only brands. The Scott and the GTs are nice, but in the end you have to make the final decision.
Old 07-05-14, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Just pick the one that looks nicest, currently unless you are looking well above £1K, most bikes are very similar in spec, esp if you are looking at 29ers or 26". Only thing to really look at at this price range ould be looking for a 650B/27.5 bike like this Talon 27.5 2 2014 Mountain Bike | Giant | Wheelies Direct Bike Replacement , as both 29ers and 26" wheel sizes are living on borrowed time.

Also, would avoid full suspension at this price level, as you need double the budget to start to make it worth while.