Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anybody keep their car at work?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-14, 05:10 PM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,504 Times in 2,601 Posts

Some of us commute only occasionally, some of us commute enough to drop to N-1 cars, but my solution has been to park "my" car at work indefinitely.

It prevents me from wussing out and driving on those days where I feel lazy, or don't want to get wet (not often in San Diego), and I can still pop out for mid-day errands, or pick up the kids after school if something comes up with the wife (I joke that I would use the bike, but I can't get more than two of them on there with me). Very occasionally, the wife & I need to be in very different places at the same time, in which case I drive "my" car home and leave the bike at work overnight, and we've got two cars to get things done. But otherwise, it lives in the parking deck for months at a time, and the family gets by with the minivan.

Today a friend of mine that often bikes to work told me he liked the idea and started keeping his car at work, so that makes the second person I've ever heard of doing this.

Anybody else keep a car at work instead of keeping it at home?
Old 08-07-14, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't even feel safe with my car parked at my office during the day (and I have a window that overlooks the parking lot where I park it). The only time I will consider leaving it unattended overnight will be when I want to get rid of it (and collect on the insurance).
Old 08-07-14, 06:07 PM
Keepin it Wheel

I am fortunate that my whole work, including our private parking deck, is inside a fence, with 24hr security, and even that is within a quiet suburban office park.
Old 08-07-14, 07:48 PM

Bikes: '97 Cannondale M500; '14 Specialized Secteur Compact; '21 Trek Roscoe 7

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I am fortunate that my whole work, including our private parking deck, is inside a fence, with 24hr security, and even that is within a quiet suburban office park.

having a secure lot makes a world of difference. i do like your point of view though.
Old 08-07-14, 08:40 PM

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Trek 7.3FX, Trek 4.7 Madone, Trek Crossrip

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do, on occasion. We have security cameras and my car is 11 years old, so not too worried about someone taking it. We have two offices ~10 miles apart, so sometimes I get a request to head from one building to the other. Having the car there helps in those situations.
Old 08-08-14, 07:48 AM

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Yes, I keep my car at work sometimes. I need it to do my job, so I pedal home and then pedal back to work in the AM. It is a late model corrolla, not much to worry about someone stealing it.
Old 08-08-14, 09:40 AM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
I don't, but I like your thinking.

It prevents me from wussing out and driving on those days where I feel lazy, or don't want to get wet (not often in San Diego), and I can still pop out for mid-day errands, or pick up the kids after school if something comes up with the wife (I joke that I would use the bike, but I can't get more than two of them on there with me). Very occasionally, the wife & I need to be in very different places at the same time, in which case I drive "my" car home and leave the bike at work overnight, and we've got two cars to get things done. But otherwise, it lives in the parking deck for months at a time.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-08-14, 09:56 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Thx, we bought a house closer to work specifically so I could bike commute. We thought we would actually sell the car and get down to just one, but practically speaking, it just wouldn't work out. With the insurance and registration and virtually no gas, I guess we're paying a few hundred a year to have a second car we can use occasionally, rather than borrowing or renting a car.
Old 08-08-14, 10:22 AM

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I used to leave my car overnight and split my commute between days. But that required keeping the bike rack on the car ALL THE TIME which sucks on the gas mileage and stuff. For nearly a year now I've been doing my full commute each day, twice a week. Car stays at home. I do stuff sometimes on the weekends that requires use of my car so I can't really leave it at work.

My car is 20 years old but it's still one of the top stolen cars in the nation so I don't like leaving it unattended for long periods of time. I *never* take my car to the mall or movie theaters, we always take my wife's car.

We have a few company-owned vehicles so I can easily go to meetings or job sites, etc. on days I ride the bike to work.
Old 08-08-14, 11:03 AM
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Apparently there are people where I work that do the opposite and leave their bikes at work. We have a covered, chain-link fenced bike cage that requires an access badge to open. There are about ten bikes down there that never move! Can't figure it out.
Old 08-08-14, 11:08 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
I leave my car to split the commute. I'm working up to commuting more regularly, but really need a better shower situation.

Parking lot isn't covered, but well secured. Bike fits in the trunk, so I just load/unload the bike when needed.
Old 08-08-14, 02:48 PM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
Thx, we bought a house closer to work specifically so I could bike commute. We thought we would actually sell the car and get down to just one, but practically speaking, it just wouldn't work out. With the insurance and registration and virtually no gas, I guess we're paying a few hundred a year to have a second car we can use occasionally, rather than borrowing or renting a car.
Very Mustachian! Would it be possible to sell/trade your car for a smaller one that might have cheaper insurance, or did you already take care of that?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-08-14, 03:56 PM
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Very Mustachian! Would it be possible to sell/trade your car for a smaller one that might have cheaper insurance, or did you already take care of that?
Nice one I was indeed influenced by MMM... (that was the only emoticon I could find with a mustache...). We live pretty frugally in general (the house move was a downsize from 4br detached to 3br townhome, less sqft). But I haven't given up cable TV yet, and I won't be retiring early.

The car is a 2002 VW GTI, so it's already small, and old (by American ******wagon standards). I don't know the exact numbers but we got the insurance as low as possible by reporting the truly miniscule annual mileage. (Not sure where I'm at so far, but I bet less than 1000mi this year)