Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Surly Straggler 650B - Constructeur Homage Bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-14, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Pic:

From Surly's Description:

"We think by now, most of you get what Straggler is. It’s a Cross Check with disc brakes instead of rim brakes. We also think you get why that’s good. The Straggler is a madly versatile bike that can be used for most types of riding and riding surfaces. It can be set up as a hauler or a mauler and so can Straggler. Better still is that you now have the option of 650b wheel size. 650b wheels were popular for a long time many years ago on ‘Constructeur’ style bicycles and we all know how real **** was back in the day…. 650b wheels strike a nice balance between the benefits of both 26” and 700c sizes. The smaller wheel allows smaller riders to fit well on smaller frames, produces a stronger wheel, makes fitting big ass tires easier and are more agile than their larger counterparts."

Wicked cool! Why would one consider a Surly tribute to the beloved Rene Herse?

"Straggler shares all of the Cross-Check’s braze-ons for fenders, racks and bottle cages. The Straggler's geometry is slightly different, with angles and tube lengths very close but not identical to the Cross-Check, but like the Cross-Check it's ready to take you just about anywhere. It’s a day tripper and a weekender. It’s a ‘rough road’ road bike. It’s a cyclocross bike with no pretense about racing. It’s a utilitarian townie. It’s a light-duty touring bike. It’s an all-weather commuter. And when you get tired of one set up, you can swap parts around and turn it into something else."

I'm all in for their utilitarian townie, day tripper, weekender, "rough road" bike, light duty touring bike and yup - all weather commuter sh*t. Easier you love it or or you hate it! I'm smitten with Surly's take on the classic French vielle de velo/constructeur bike of the 1940s and 1950s. Good things always come back in style! Thanks, Surly!
Old 08-08-14, 07:45 PM
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Gorgeous!
Thanks for posting!

Old 08-10-14, 05:54 PM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,573 Posts
I was just thinking of this the other day; with disc brakes, is there any reason not to just take a "700C" straggler and put 650 wheels on it? I mean, is a 54cm "700C Straggler" any different than a 54cm "650B Straggler" other than rims, spokes, tires and tubes?
Old 08-10-14, 05:56 PM
apocryphal sobriquet

Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "The Truckerino"

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I was just thinking of this the other day; with disc brakes, is there any reason not to just take a "700C" straggler and put 650 wheels on it? I mean, is a 54cm "700C Straggler" any different than a 54cm "650B Straggler" other than rims, spokes, tires and tubes?
Yeah, the bottom bracket will drop a bit, all things equal ~19mm or so
Old 08-10-14, 06:01 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
One would hope the geometry is slightly different. You'd ideally like a shorter wheelbase and chainstays to reflect the smaller wheel. Which they did 16.9cm (700c) vs 16.1 cm (650b).
Old 09-22-14, 09:12 AM
Aspiring curmudgeon

Bikes: Guerciotti, Serotta, Gaulzetti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
I'm smitten with Surly's take on the classic French vielle de velo/constructeur bike of the 1940s and 1950s. Good things always come back in style! Thanks, Surly!
Other than the size of the wheels, how is this an homage to constructeur bikes? The sloping top tube, compact geometry front to back, and especially the black components are rubbing this retro grouch the wrong way.
Old 09-22-14, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Literally the ONLY features that the 650B Straggler shares with "constructeur" bikes: 1. It is a bike. 2. It has 650B wheels.

As a 650B bike, fine, I can understand that. Calling it an homage to French constructeur bikes just makes no sense at all. They have altered the geometry somewhat to be better suited for the smaller wheels, but it's still a very conventional mid-trail geometry design. About as un-French as it gets. Nothing wrong with that by itself, but calling it "Surly's take on the classic constructeur bikes" doesn't make sense in that context. It's not at all constructeurish.
Old 09-22-14, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
"Constructeur"
"Homage"
"vielle de velo"

Srsly?
Old 09-22-14, 09:48 AM
one life on two wheels

Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I see the semantics army is out in full force this morning lol

OP; take a look at Boulder Bicycles, if you haven't already.
Old 09-22-14, 09:58 AM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,115 Times in 1,378 Posts
I like this bike. It would fit with the convertible idea I was testing out with my tubeless topic: 679 mm ≈ 47-584 ≈ 28-622 (and ≈ 60-559 if you have the width).

I feel it still has the same Surly oddness of short head and seat tube to lower the top tube for a given length, which then results in a lot of head tube spacers and exposed seat post. I think they do this from the top on the seat and head tubes to keep the standover under control with fatter tires, and still use modern rake & trail*, and then they shorten the head tube from the bottom a bit more to raise the tire clearance. The new 650b, less so than the 700c version. The 700c 54cm has a head tube of 107mm and a standover of 792mm, the 650B 54cm version 145, 806. Why the 650B version is overall taller, I couldn't tell you. It seems like they should have come out the same.

* My Super Sport has tons of clearance to use center pull brakes and fenders over 630-32 tires. This is possible due to having plenty of rake & trail, which puts the wheel much further forward. There's no toe overlap either. But it's not modern handling.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 09-22-14 at 10:05 AM. Reason: reword
Old 09-22-14, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by cobrabyte
I see the semantics army is out in full force this morning lol
I see. You are apparently under the impression that words do not have actual definitions that mean something real, but instead represent whatever it is that a copywriter wants them to. Yeah, that's not how it works. Saying that it's not a constructeur style bike isn't "semantics," it's just the facts. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the bike, but it bears literally no resemblance to and shares no heritage with an interwar French bicycle apart from 650B wheels. I don't have any particular affection for or emotional attachment to French-style constructeur bikes of the mid 20th century (and think there's a certain wax-mustachioed silliness about the people who do), but calling this a constructeur homage amounts to false advertising.
Old 09-23-14, 12:39 AM

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grolby
Literally the ONLY features that the 650B Straggler shares with "constructeur" bikes: 1. It is a bike. 2. It has 650B wheels.

As a 650B bike, fine, I can understand that. Calling it an homage to French constructeur bikes just makes no sense at all. They have altered the geometry somewhat to be better suited for the smaller wheels, but it's still a very conventional mid-trail geometry design. About as un-French as it gets. Nothing wrong with that by itself, but calling it "Surly's take on the classic constructeur bikes" doesn't make sense in that context. It's not at all constructeurish.
This.

And this is for Surly:

Quoted for truth:
I see. You are apparently under the impression that words do not have actual definitions that mean something real, but instead represent whatever it is that a copywriter wants them to. Yeah, that's not how it works. Saying that it's not a constructeur style bike isn't "semantics," it's just the facts. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the bike, but it bears literally no resemblance to and shares no heritage with an interwar French bicycle apart from 650B wheels. I don't have any particular affection for or emotional attachment to French-style constructeur bikes of the mid 20th century (and think there's a certain wax-mustachioed silliness about the people who do), but calling this a constructeur homage amounts to false advertising.
Old 09-23-14, 07:17 AM
one life on two wheels

Such vitrol!
Old 09-23-14, 09:48 AM
Disco Infiltrator

I see. You are apparently under the impression that words do not have actual definitions that mean something real, but instead represent whatever it is that a copywriter wants them to.
That's what Humpty Dumpty told Alice, anyhow.
Old 09-23-14, 11:33 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 527 Post(s)
Quoted: 3271 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 1,475 Posts
To me, the most shocking thing about that picture is that it's a Surly with a sloping top tube. I guess that happens in the smaller sizes?
Old 09-23-14, 12:53 PM

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cobrabyte
Such vitrol!
Would you like to buy an "i"?
Old 09-23-14, 01:13 PM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,573 Posts
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky
Other than the size of the wheels, how is this an homage to constructeur bikes? The sloping top tube, compact geometry front to back, and especially the black components are rubbing this retro grouch the wrong way.
For the record, the description from the Surly page ONLY makes the wheelsize link to constructeur bikes.

As for the rest of you piling on OP's enthusiasm, way to poop on a party.

Unsubscribe!
Old 09-23-14, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Surly should have called it the Straggleur.
Old 09-23-14, 01:32 PM
one life on two wheels

Originally Posted by Medic Zero
Would you like to buy an "i"?
Nah, I prefer the Olde French spelling myself
Old 09-23-14, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Surly should have called it the Straggleur.
LOL!

As for the French terms being bandied about, I live in France and I've never heard anyone use the terms constructeur, homage, and vielle de velo when talking about bikes. Well, maybe if they're referring to bikes in a museum. I do occasionally see old Peugeots and Motobecanes, though (real ones, not the kind from Bikes Direct!).
Old 09-23-14, 02:09 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by Andy_K
To me, the most shocking thing about that picture is that it's a Surly with a sloping top tube. I guess that happens in the smaller sizes?
In any given wheel size at smaller frame sizes. The head tube end sort of bottoms out - you can't make a negative length head tube. They shorten the seat tube to get the standover. Going to smaller wheel sizes fixes it. Find a picture of a Terry bike and cover up the rear triangle, and it looks normal because it's normal geometry in miniature, instead of trying to fit the forward frame over a wheel that's too big.