Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rear wheel / rim for my CX commuter

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-14, 09:35 AM
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, nearly three years since my last post (and I used to post five times a day!). Ahem. I've broken a number of spokes on the rear wheel of my commuter, a 2012 Kona Jake (cyclocross bike). I think it's time for a new wheel (or rim, I'll keep the hub I suppose!) as it seems every time I ride, another spoke pops. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-22-14, 10:44 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
You can have the existing factory wheel rebuilt by hand and have the LBS builder use a premium brand name Double butted spoke

Wheelsmith, Sapim, DT .. if the rim remains un warped ..

OEM spokes and machine tensioned wheels were used, based on cost ... part of hitting the price you were willing to pay.
Old 08-22-14, 06:57 PM

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you are wanting to do a complete new wheel/set the Velocity Dyad is a great commuter rim laced to whatever hub your budget allows and built by a good builder. If you want something light enough to race cross with but still strong you can look at the A23 rim, it even will go tubeless easily too!

The key is quality spokes and a good builder if you want it to last.

If you are trying to do it on the cheap, if your rim is of decent quality and in good shape you can just replace it with new spokes.
Old 08-23-14, 07:50 AM
Banned

Actually just getting a same sort of hub., to reuse same cassette, but not worrying about identical rim will be quick [off the peg at LBS] &
pretty cheap .. beat it up and get another ..

Regular commuting, wheels rims/spokes are consumables, like chains and the other drive train parts ..

the machines skip the hand built wheel people, though..
Old 08-23-14, 08:08 AM
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
You could try to up the spoke count via new hub and rim (and maybe get a deeper more robust rim). In the mean, you could have a local shop de-tension and true the wheel, replacing the one most recent broken spoke. Another option with existing rim and hub, is as suggested getting double butted spokes, and trying a more supportive lacing pattern. If it is 2x, you may be able to get it laced 3x.

The one issue with rim depth, is the deeper it is, the less it will deflect, which means a harsher ride for you.

- Andy
Old 08-23-14, 09:50 AM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked 1,310 Times in 903 Posts
If you are breaking spokes on a regular basis, time to relace the wheel.
The other spokes will continue breaking since they have exceeded their fatigue life.
The bike was supposed to have DB spokes, but a poor quality build can trump good parts.
Old 08-23-14, 10:48 AM
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
DT Swiss TK540 is a tank of a rim.
Old 08-23-14, 10:57 AM
Banned

Have you ever brought the bike back for after sale service , which would include checking the spoke tension ?

the loose ones flex more, than tight enough ones do & break off at the head/hook end.
Old 08-24-14, 04:39 PM

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Regular commuting, wheels rims/spokes are consumables, like chains and the other drive train parts ...
i think this is only true if you run rim brakes. i have wheels with well over 50K on them that are still going strong.
Old 08-25-14, 10:10 AM
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the thoughtful replies! I'm taking the wheel to my local guy who's replaced the spokes as they break and asking his opinion on a full rebuild. He's done it for me on my folding bike and done a nice job. In the previous case I had to get a new rim and not a new wheel because of the fancy internally geared hub (wasn't replacing that!). He also rebuilt my road bike wheel when I mangled the spokes and hub with a rear derailleur issue (got a replacement hub from the manufacturer, IIRC). The point is I think he's good for this task. I don't get down the to shop where I bought it very often. Not many Kona dealers in NYC back when I did and the shop where I got it was on my way to work at the time. I mostly work from home now so... you get the idea. Thanks again everyone.
Old 08-25-14, 10:48 AM
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, that was fast. My guy recommended getting a whole new wheel for the following reasons: it's probably cheaper and he's very busy with summer work and is unlikely to be able to get a full wheel build done for my timeline (NYC Century in just under two weeks). So I'm back to finding a new wheel! FWIW, the tires I run are, IIRC, 32mm Marathon Supremes (wonderful tires).

This seems about right?
Old 08-25-14, 01:28 PM

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chriskmurray
If you are trying to do it on the cheap, if your rim is of decent quality and in good shape you can just replace it with new spokes.
I'm tough on rear wheels and whenever I've gotten to the point I was popping spokes, it was because the rim was shot.

I did have good luck getting a local wheel builder to lace a new higher-quality rim to my old hub and got 6 years of pretty hard use out of that arrangement - until it just died last month.

Originally Posted by chriskmurray
If you are wanting to do a complete new wheel/set the Velocity Dyad is a great commuter rim laced to whatever hub your budget allows and built by a good builder.
I am glad to hear you say the Dyad is a good commuter rim because that's what I just got.
I did get 36 spokes too, so I'm hoping that will make it more bombproof.
Not totally sure about the builder this time though - my LBS ordered this one from one of those big mega-bike-supply places... QMR? QBP? something like that. The wheel came with a big label that said "hand tensioned," whatever that means. Hopefully I will get good service life out of it.
Old 08-25-14, 01:42 PM

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oboeguy
Well, that was fast. My guy recommended getting a whole new wheel for the following reasons: it's probably cheaper and he's very busy with summer work and is unlikely to be able to get a full wheel build done for my timeline (NYC Century in just under two weeks). So I'm back to finding a new wheel! FWIW, the tires I run are, IIRC, 32mm Marathon Supremes (wonderful tires).

This seems about right?
That wheel looks pretty good to me.

You might want to have a look at Prowheelbuilder.com and spec one yourself.
If you put in your intended use and body weight, you will get recommendations as you go through the selection process.
FWIW, if you say you're going to do unloaded touring (my approximation of commuter use) and you weigh 200lbs or more, their website recommends 36 or more spokes.
Old 08-25-14, 02:01 PM
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alathIN
That wheel looks pretty good to me.

You might want to have a look at Prowheelbuilder.com and spec one yourself.
If you put in your intended use and body weight, you will get recommendations as you go through the selection process.
FWIW, if you say you're going to do unloaded touring (my approximation of commuter use) and you weigh 200lbs or more, their website recommends 36 or more spokes.
Thanks! Prowheelbuilder looked like it had a long lead time without paying an extra chunk of cash. I'll take a closer.
Old 08-25-14, 05:20 PM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,505 Times in 2,602 Posts
I've heard good things about handspun, you'll probably get a very good wheel. At 36 spokes it is easier to make it bombproof. And Dyad should be fine. I run Dyads with Marathon Supreme 700x50 on my crosscheck, they haven't given me a lick of trouble. And those are 32-hole front&rear, supporting my 250-lb fat-a$$. Daily commuting for 19mo now, probably 4000-5000mi.
Old 08-25-14, 05:34 PM

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alathIN
I'm tough on rear wheels and whenever I've gotten to the point I was popping spokes, it was because the rim was shot.

I did have good luck getting a local wheel builder to lace a new higher-quality rim to my old hub and got 6 years of pretty hard use out of that arrangement - until it just died last month.

I am glad to hear you say the Dyad is a good commuter rim because that's what I just got.
I did get 36 spokes too, so I'm hoping that will make it more bombproof.
Not totally sure about the builder this time though - my LBS ordered this one from one of those big mega-bike-supply places... QMR? QBP? something like that. The wheel came with a big label that said "hand tensioned," whatever that means. Hopefully I will get good service life out of it.
Most of the QBP stuff is reasonably good. If they are comfortable with building wheels you can ask them to stress relieve the wheel and double check tensions, if that is all good you will have a wheel that will last a very long time!
Old 08-25-14, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oboeguy

This seems about right?
What's the intended use for the bike? For heavier-duty or commuting use I'd personally want a heavier rim than a DT Swiss R450. Not a bad rim, but it's a lighter-weight simple old-style narrow box rim and I'd want something wider for that kind of use, and probably heavier-duty, too.

It doesn't matter how inexpensive it is if it won't last under the use you're going to put it to.
Old 08-27-14, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Sugar Wheel Works | Handbuilt Bicycle Wheels

Give em a call. They'll give advice and build whatever you want...