Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

changing from a 52/36 and 11/25 to compact 50/34 11/28

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

changing from a 52/36 and 11/25 to compact 50/34 11/28

Old 04-08-15, 11:00 AM
  #1  
zvez
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
zvez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 536

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace,2014 Specialized S-Works Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
changing from a 52/36 and 11/25 to compact 50/34 11/28

I did a search, probably didn't word it right but had no luck in finding an answer tho I'm sure it's been discussed ad nauseum.

Is it possible to convert my R5 to the same gearing as on my Roubaix. I ride lots of rolling hills and the Roubaix seems to work much better for me, I find myself leaving the R5 at home most of the time.

THe R5 has 52/36 and 11/25 which I believe is called semi-compact. the S-works Roubaix has 50/34 and 11/28 which is compact.

So is this an easy change? I would guess besides the cassette and chain rings you'd also need a new chain?

Thansk!
Chris,

Again sorry I couldn't find in a search but I tend to be inept at wording searches!
zvez is offline  
Old 04-08-15, 12:12 PM
  #2  
nfmisso
Nigel
 
nfmisso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,990

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Should be an easy change; IF your rear derailleur (RD) can handle a 28T cog.

The 36T ring indicates that you most likely have 110mm BCD cranks, so you just need to purchase a new 50T ring. For now, I would recommend trying the 50/36 combination with 11/28 cassette.

Going down two teeth on the big ring, if the chain is newish, I would leave it when trying on the 11-28 (if you could get a 11-27 or 12-27, so much the better - as the total tooth count is the same 52+25 = 50+27). You may find you like 50/36 better than 50/34. On one of my bikes I went from 50/34 to 50/38 - much less stress on the knees when shifting front rings.
nfmisso is offline  
Old 04-08-15, 12:18 PM
  #3  
dsbrantjr
Senior Member
 
dsbrantjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 6,384

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 88 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by nfmisso View Post
...Going down two teeth on the big ring, if the chain is newish, I would leave it when trying on the 11-28 (if you could get a 11-27 or 12-27, so much the better - as the total tooth count is the same 52+25 = 50+27). You may find you like 50/36 better than 50/34. On one of my bikes I went from 50/34 to 50/38 - much less stress on the knees when shifting front rings.
+1, 2 teeth on a 52 ring is less than 4% change; also agree that a 12-tooth small cog is more useful than 11, or at least should give an additional useful cog in the middle.
dsbrantjr is offline  
Old 04-08-15, 12:50 PM
  #4  
Black wallnut 
Senior Member
 
Black wallnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ellensburg,WA
Posts: 2,939

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As long as your rear derailleur will accommodate a 28t cog you should be fine. You will likely have to move your FD down. You may or may not need a new chain.
__________________
Sir Mark, Knight of Sufferlandria
Black wallnut is offline  
Old 04-08-15, 01:53 PM
  #5  
Bill Kapaun
Senior Member
 
Bill Kapaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
Posts: 10,910

Bikes: 86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 36 Posts
Just get a 12-27 cassette and save your money.
You'll get about the "desired" gearing and not have to mess with the front rings/DER.
50-50 chance you'll need a longer chain.
Bill Kapaun is offline  
Old 04-08-15, 01:59 PM
  #6  
dr_lha
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Central PA
Posts: 4,824

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun View Post
Just get a 12-27 cassette and save your money.
You'll get about the "desired" gearing and not have to mess with the front rings/DER.
50-50 chance you'll need a longer chain.
That all depends if the "desired" gearing is a granny gear for hills. 34-28 is a lot easier on the legs uphill than 36-27 in my experience.
dr_lha is offline  
Old 04-08-15, 02:38 PM
  #7  
dsbrantjr
Senior Member
 
dsbrantjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 6,384

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 88 Times in 75 Posts
Rather than approxiamting or doing mental calculations, here's a calculator which makes it easy to compare two sets of gearing choices: kstoerz.com | visual drivetrain comparison tool
dsbrantjr is offline  
Old 04-08-15, 03:22 PM
  #8  
Bill Kapaun
Senior Member
 
Bill Kapaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
Posts: 10,910

Bikes: 86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post
That all depends if the "desired" gearing is a granny gear for hills. 34-28 is a lot easier on the legs uphill than 36-27 in my experience.
OP stated "...I ride lots of rolling hills and the Roubaix seems to work much better for me..."
OP didn't state he has a difficult time getting up the hill(s).
My suggestion will seem to work better too and is a hell of a lot cheaper.
Bill Kapaun is offline  
Old 04-15-15, 04:28 PM
  #9  
zvez
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
zvez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 536

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace,2014 Specialized S-Works Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks everyone for all the very useful info! I opted to let the bike shop change out to the 50/34 and 11/28 so my r5 will be geared just like the roubaix. For the predominant roads I ride, rollers, the compact gearing is much better. I found myself seldom riding the cervelo because of it. Hoping to get it back. Since I've got around2500 miles on the chain, rings and cassette I went ahead and opted for new parts. Probably overkill but way I wanted to do it.

Chris
zvez is offline  
Old 04-15-15, 05:04 PM
  #10  
alcjphil
Senior Member
 
alcjphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 3,069
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by zvez View Post
thanks everyone for all the very useful info! I opted to let the bike shop change out to the 50/34 and 11/28 so my r5 will be geared just like the roubaix. For the predominant roads I ride, rollers, the compact gearing is much better. I found myself seldom riding the cervelo because of it. Hoping to get it back. Since I've got around2500 miles on the chain, rings and cassette I went ahead and opted for new parts. Probably overkill but way I wanted to do it.

Chris
Don't look back. You did what you were comfortable with. Now get out there and enjoy your season
alcjphil is offline  
Old 04-25-15, 10:41 AM
  #11  
zvez
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
zvez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 536

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace,2014 Specialized S-Works Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put 150 miles on it this week, so glad I made the change, now I'm actually happy to get out on it!
Originally Posted by alcjphil View Post
Don't look back. You did what you were comfortable with. Now get out there and enjoy your season
zvez is offline  
Old 05-21-15, 06:43 AM
  #12  
yogie464
Junior Member
 
yogie464's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zvez View Post
THe R5 has 52/36 and 11/25 which I believe is called semi-compact. the S-works Roubaix has 50/34 and 11/28 which is compact.
My previous bike has a triple 52/43/30 and my new bike has a compact 50/34 11t-28t. I am happy with the 34 on the new bike but cant seem to get use to the 50. Feels like I am peddling too much and not moving enough but when I change gear, it seems too hard. I feel like I need a gear in between. I am now considering changing to the semi-compact 52 on the new bike.
yogie464 is offline  
Old 05-21-15, 10:12 AM
  #13  
zvez
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
zvez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 536

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace,2014 Specialized S-Works Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a lot depends on what type roads you're on. I ride on a lot of moderate sized rollers and I just never like 52/36 on the R5, rode it again last nite and love the change. I'm going to have the pinarello I ordered which comes semi-compact to compact.

Originally Posted by yogie464 View Post
My previous bike has a triple 52/43/30 and my new bike has a compact 50/34 11t-28t. I am happy with the 34 on the new bike but cant seem to get use to the 50. Feels like I am peddling too much and not moving enough but when I change gear, it seems too hard. I feel like I need a gear in between. I am now considering changing to the semi-compact 52 on the new bike.
zvez is offline  
Old 05-21-15, 10:28 AM
  #14  
Willbird
Senior Member
 
Willbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Very N and Very W Ohio Williams Co.
Posts: 2,458

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zvez View Post
Put 150 miles on it this week, so glad I made the change, now I'm actually happy to get out on it!
The most important 6" in cycling is between the riders ears, if that 6" is happy the whole rest of the mess comes around hehe.

Bill
Willbird is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
TheRef
Road Cycling
21
02-20-18 03:04 PM
MAK
General Cycling Discussion
6
08-31-14 09:43 AM
Gyro_T
Recumbent
26
06-01-11 01:34 PM
cpsqlrwn
Road Cycling
0
05-03-08 03:26 PM
monkey69
Bicycle Mechanics
1
04-07-05 04:45 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.