Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brake cable release thingy

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Brake cable release thingy

Reply

Old 04-19-15, 09:41 PM
  #1  
Gresp15C
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Gresp15C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,149
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Brake cable release thingy

I upgraded my spouse's bike from drop to flat bars. It's an old roadie with "Exage" brakes and levers. The brake release buttons were built into the levers, which I had to replace with MTB style levers. So, there is no release mechanism any more, making it a hassle to remove the front wheel for e.g., putting the bike in the car.

Is there an after market release lever thingy that I can add to the existing brakes?
Gresp15C is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-15, 09:47 PM
  #2  
Jamminatrix
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yup, they're called inline quick release. They back off the cable tension. A couple different brands make them. You can also try eBay. I'm sure there are no-name Asialand versions for cheap if you want to give them a go.

Shimano CB90 Cable Adjuster for Direct Mount Brake
NOTE: I'm not endorsing this site, just providing a link to show you what they look like.
Jamminatrix is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-15, 09:50 AM
  #3  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 35,754

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5119 Post(s)
You went from drop bars> to> flat bars ?, typically flat bar Brake levers have a song threaded cable adjuster as part of the Lever .

You can use screwing that out, to the riding It, brake adjustment making it tighter (pad to Rim), and screwing it IN to male it looser to remove the wheel.
fietsbob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-15, 10:39 AM
  #4  
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member
 
Wilfred Laurier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,025
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
You went from drop bars> to> flat bars ?, typically flat bar Brake levers have a song threaded cable adjuster as part of the Lever .

You can use screwing that out, to the riding It, brake adjustment making it tighter (pad to Rim), and screwing it IN to male it looser to remove the wheel.
You couldn't really use the barrel adjuster to remove the wheels.
Wilfred Laurier is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-15, 10:43 AM
  #5  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 35,754

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5119 Post(s)
Maybe You could not ..

I could , particularly if it's just a skinny road bike wheel.. You can also just remove one brake shoe/pad.

and put it back in once the wheel is in place again..
fietsbob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-15, 10:47 AM
  #6  
cale
Senior Member
 
cale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,250

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Gresp15C View Post
I upgraded my spouse's bike from drop to flat bars. It's an old roadie with "Exage" brakes and levers. The brake release buttons were built into the levers, which I had to replace with MTB style levers. So, there is no release mechanism any more, making it a hassle to remove the front wheel for e.g., putting the bike in the car.

Is there an after market release lever thingy that I can add to the existing brakes?
Are your MTB-style levers compatible with Exage brake calipers? Standard MTB levers are long-pull. Road components are short pull.
cale is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-15, 04:00 PM
  #7  
Gresp15C
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Gresp15C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,149
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cale View Post
Are your MTB-style levers compatible with Exage brake calipers? Standard MTB levers are long-pull. Road components are short pull.
Yes. Good question. I'm not sure if they were labeled as MTB style, but they are for straight bar rather than drop bar. I don't know the terminology but I checked the length between the fulcrum and the point where the cable attaches, and it's similar to the original levers.
Gresp15C is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-15, 04:24 PM
  #8  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 35,754

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5119 Post(s)
Cantilever MTB levers would be ideal .. V Brake the long cable pull, would mean a lot of rim to Pad spacing can be left as the lever has a lot of pull ,

then the wheel would be even easier to remove. so that may prove Useful too..
fietsbob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-15, 04:50 PM
  #9  
cale
Senior Member
 
cale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,250

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Cantilever MTB levers would be ideal .. V Brake the long cable pull, would mean a lot of rim to Pad spacing can be left as the lever has a lot of pull ,

then the wheel would be even easier to remove. so that may prove Useful too..
Agreed. I'd have steered him that way, frame permitting.
cale is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-15, 05:04 PM
  #10  
cale
Senior Member
 
cale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,250

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Gresp15C View Post
Yes. Good question. I'm not sure if they were labeled as MTB style, but they are for straight bar rather than drop bar. I don't know the terminology but I checked the length between the fulcrum and the point where the cable attaches, and it's similar to the original levers.
Put it this way. You need flat bar levers that are designed for road calipers. Like the brake lever on the page I link here. Note the compatibility info. Universal Cycles -- Shimano BL-4600 Tiagra Brake Levers
cale is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-15, 05:41 PM
  #11  
Gresp15C
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Gresp15C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,149
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cale View Post
Put it this way. You need flat bar levers that are designed for road calipers. Like the brake lever on the page I link here. Note the compatibility info. Universal Cycles -- Shimano BL-4600 Tiagra Brake Levers
Ah, I checked the part number that we got. They are BL-R550 from Shimano, which are listed as being for road brakes.

I only remember being very careful about this, because I was still stinging from getting the same thing wrong on another bike.
Gresp15C is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-15, 06:19 PM
  #12  
cale
Senior Member
 
cale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,250

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Gresp15C View Post
Ah, I checked the part number that we got. They are BL-R550 from Shimano, which are listed as being for road brakes.

I only remember being very careful about this, because I was still stinging from getting the same thing wrong on another bike.
RRRRRRRRRR like a pirate. A road pirate at least. Good to hear on the levers front. Now to solve the brake problem you could use the adjustment screws but they weren't designed to get a lot of use and I doubt they'll hold up well. Just my gut instinct for the usual experience I have when trying to "re=purpose" some part. I think cable de-couplers would be better. They are designed to be used the way you intend. They're called Easy-Split In-line Cable Separators.

Cable splitters for S&S Coupled travel bikes
cale is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-15, 06:28 PM
  #13  
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 31,041

Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cale View Post
RRRRRRRRRR like a pirate. A road pirate at least. Good to hear on the levers front. Now to solve the brake problem you could use the adjustment screws but they weren't designed to get a lot of use and I doubt they'll hold up well. Just my gut instinct for the usual experience I have when trying to "re=purpose" some part. I think cable de-couplers would be better. They are designed to be used the way you intend. They're called Easy-Split In-line Cable Separators.

Cable splitters for S&S Coupled travel bikes
Yep, those things work. I had them on an S&S coupled Co-Motion and they made packing the bike much easier. However, be CERTAIN to use the brake couplers on brake cables, don't substitute the shift couplers. The brake couplers have double set screws to assure they lock the cable in firmly. The last thing you want is for the brake cable to separate in a hard stop.
HillRider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-15, 06:32 PM
  #14  
Gresp15C
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Gresp15C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,149
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Now that looks like a nifty idea!
Gresp15C is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-15, 06:44 PM
  #15  
bikepro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 1,914

Bikes: Look 585

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
You went from drop bars> to> flat bars ?, typically flat bar Brake levers have a song threaded cable adjuster as part of the Lever .

You can use screwing that out, to the riding It, brake adjustment making it tighter (pad to Rim), and screwing it IN to male it looser to remove the wheel.
This will work. I once had Campy brakes with Shimano levers. I had no quick release since the Campy release is on the levers and Shimano is on the brakes. Loosening the brake adjustment worked, but it became tiresome long before I switched to SRAM RED brakes and levers.
bikepro is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service