Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Question on mising different speed road group parts

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Question on mising different speed road group parts

Old 09-19-15, 05:13 PM
  #1  
Charlie Whiskey
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question on mising different speed road group parts

Would last generation's Tiagra (4600) shifters shift a Sora RD (3500) on a 10-speed cassette properly? I believe the indexing is done in the shifters?
Charlie Whiskey is offline  
Old 09-19-15, 05:58 PM
  #2  
Slash5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 1,888
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Indexing is done in the shifter but the derailleur pull ratio has to match. But almost any Shimano road rear derailleur less than 11 speed will work with almost any Shimano road shifter - certain old Dura Ace being the exception. Any Shimano MTB rear derailleur and shifter less than 10 speed will work as well.
Slash5 is offline  
Old 09-19-15, 07:23 PM
  #3  
alcjphil
Senior Member
 
alcjphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 3,780
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
Indexing is done in the shifter but the derailleur pull ratio has to match. But almost any Shimano road rear derailleur less than 11 speed will work with almost any Shimano road shifter - certain old Dura Ace being the exception. Any Shimano MTB rear derailleur and shifter less than 10 speed will work as well.
I believe the other exception is the Tiagra 4700 10 speed group. I think that it uses the same pull ratio as 11 speed so that the derailleur could be upgraded to 11 speed shifters but would not work with older 10 speed shifters
I could be wrong however
alcjphil is offline  
Old 09-20-15, 06:32 AM
  #4  
Charlie Whiskey
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like it'll work. Cheers.
Charlie Whiskey is offline  
Old 09-20-15, 08:14 AM
  #5  
Slash5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 1,888
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil View Post
I believe the other exception is the Tiagra 4700 10 speed group. I think that it uses the same pull ratio as 11 speed so that the derailleur could be upgraded to 11 speed shifters but would not work with older 10 speed shifters
I could be wrong however
Googled that when I saw your post. Couldn't find anything definitive but sure sounds like you are correct. That is going screw the world up a few years down the road. Have to be real careful mixing and matching after so many years of pretty well anything working. Have to think of that buying used, swap meets.
Slash5 is offline  
Old 09-20-15, 08:43 AM
  #6  
alcjphil
Senior Member
 
alcjphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 3,780
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
Googled that when I saw your post. Couldn't find anything definitive but sure sounds like you are correct. That is going screw the world up a few years down the road. Have to be real careful mixing and matching after so many years of pretty well anything working. Have to think of that buying used, swap meets.
Another way of looking at it is that the new Tiagra will offer a much less expensive route for riders who eventually want to move to 11 speeds. As long as wheels are compatible,and increasingly new wheels will be 11 speed compatible, it will only be a question of changing shifters, cassette, and chain instead of having to pretty much replace everything
alcjphil is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
imobilinpedalus
Bicycle Mechanics
23
05-18-18 12:59 PM
spectastic
Bicycle Mechanics
5
04-06-15 08:50 PM
Downtownfish
Bicycle Mechanics
2
11-21-13 09:38 AM
concentriq
Bicycle Mechanics
6
01-12-12 11:39 AM
mazdaspeed
Bicycle Mechanics
5
10-20-10 01:58 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.