Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Side swiped by truck..

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Side swiped by truck..

Old 09-26-15, 12:41 AM
  #1  
heysmellthis
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Side swiped by truck..

I'm fine thank God and most of my bike too but now I need new wheels I don't know what 32h means or 700x30c is I know the wheels that came on the bike were double wall and machined I know or I think double wall makes for stronger which I need because I'm 230lbs and the streets here are busted and till today no troubles so I'm hoping to hit up Amazon for a deal and fit a 9spd casette. Just need to know the jargon. Any tips? It's a 2015 specialized sirrus elite
heysmellthis is offline  
Old 09-26-15, 01:03 AM
  #2  
skimaxpower
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: WA
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
700x32 means your wheel diameter is 700c (standard modern road size) diameter, and 32mm tire width. This is a common size of commuter/touring tire. 32h means that your rim has 32 holes for spokes (and, consequently, it has 32 spokes.)

You have a very common and standard size of wheel, so it should be easy to find replacements.

The car that hit you (or it's insurance company) should buy you some very nice new wheels. That's a small price to pay for their indifference to your safety. Go to you local bike shop and buy an upgraded wheelset with the inattentive driver's money.
skimaxpower is offline  
Old 09-26-15, 03:23 AM
  #3  
GravelMN
Senior Member
 
GravelMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rural Minnesota
Posts: 1,604
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just curious, how did getting sideswiped take out both of your wheels but not cause other serious damage?

Contact your Specialized dealer and they will be able to get you exact replacements. Or if you wish, you can upgrade. I suggest 36h, double wall/double eyeletted rims,laced with butted spokes on Deore or 105 hubs. These would be very durable wheels for you.

Not to talk legalities here, but did you get the driver's insurance info and report the accident?
GravelMN is offline  
Old 09-26-15, 05:23 AM
  #4  
jyl
Senior Member
 
jyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 7,642

Bikes: 61 Bianchi Specialissima 71 Peugeot G50 7? P'geot PX10 74 Raleigh GranSport 75 P'geot UO8 78? Raleigh Team Pro 82 P'geot PSV 86 P'geot PX 91 Bridgestone MB0 92 B'stone XO1 97 Rans VRex 92 Cannondale R1000 94 B'stone MB5 97 Vitus 997

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 42 Times in 27 Posts
You mentioned wanting a 9 speed cassette. Does the bike currently have 9 speeds?
jyl is offline  
Old 09-26-15, 05:48 AM
  #5  
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member
 
Bill Kapaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
Posts: 12,675

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1339 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 425 Posts
Since that's a hybrid, you likely have 135mm "mountain" spacing on the rear hub VS 130mm "road" spacing.
Does the bike have disc brakes?
Bill Kapaun is offline  
Old 09-26-15, 07:24 AM
  #6  
heysmellthis
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
700x32 means your wheel diameter is 700c (standard modern road size) diameter, and 32mm tire width. This is a common size of commuter/touring tire. 32h means that your rim has 32 holes for spokes (and, consequently, it has 32 spokes.)

You have a very common and standard size of wheel, so it should be easy to find replacements.

The car that hit you (or it's insurance company) should buy you some very nice new wheels. That's a small price to pay for their indifference to your safety. Go to you local bike shop and buy an upgraded wheelset with the inattentive driver's money.
Thanks this was very informative. He was an old guy I told him "hey you hit me" and he didn't believe me and drove off. I couldn't call the cops it just didn't feel right I hope he pays more attention and I'm fine besides some bruised legs and elbows weird the third time I wipe out and every time no helmet and no head injury I'll never go helmet less again.
heysmellthis is offline  
Old 09-26-15, 07:36 AM
  #7  
heysmellthis
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelMN View Post
Just curious, how did getting sideswiped take out both of your wheels but not cause other serious damage?

Contact your Specialized dealer and they will be able to get you exact replacements. Or if you wish, you can upgrade. I suggest 36h, double wall/double eyeletted rims,laced with butted spokes on Deore or 105 hubs. These would be very durable wheels for you.

Not to talk legalities here, but did you get the driver's insurance info and report the accident?
He came up from behind me I was on the right side far right to give plenty of passing room so I know he saw me he was going slow I thought you are in a truck you pass me pleas hurry I thought maybe he's letting me pass for some reason I didn't think he might about to be turning into this parking lot but still he came up behind me had to know to check his mirrors and he just started turning I'm not sure how my bike got caught but I started banging in the truck he wouldn't stop then for a second I thought I was gonna make a clean break heard some pops went down looked up he kept rolling on and my front spokes were all bent and a couple on the back popped loose. my front brake pads are really ripped too.. Any way I thought did he see me?? I walked up a bit and sure enough he was at a dry cleaners I told him "excuse me sir you hit me" he ignored I told him again to which he replied "I didn't see you I didn't hit you" got in his truck and drove off he was very old I thought maybe he really doesn't know he hit me I told him please let me get your insurance I don't want to call cops he drove off and I called cops only to say never mind... I just couldn't do it I hope he never hurts anyone including himself other than my wheels and brake of and serfas light a few bruises I'm fine and I'll think twice before riding without my helmet next time.
heysmellthis is offline  
Old 09-26-15, 07:42 AM
  #8  
heysmellthis
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyl View Post
You mentioned wanting a 9 speed cassette. Does the bike currently have 9 speeds?
Yes just want to make sure whatever wheel I but fits perfect I have 0 complaints about this bike I absolutely enjoy it shifts sketch bit rides great don't want that to change
heysmellthis is offline  
Old 09-26-15, 08:46 AM
  #9  
heysmellthis
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelMN View Post
Just curious, how did getting sideswiped take out both of your wheels but not cause other serious damage?

Contact your Specialized dealer and they will be able to get you exact replacements. Or if you wish, you can upgrade. I suggest 36h, double wall/double eyeletted rims,laced with butted spokes on Deore or 105 hubs. These would be very durable wheels for you.

Not to talk legalities here, but did you get the driver's insurance info and report the accident?
Hey thanks for the advice I found 36h with 105 hubs mavics 239.00 double wall but single eyelet what's the eyelets job? Pros of single and double ?

Last edited by heysmellthis; 09-26-15 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Misspell
heysmellthis is offline  
Old 09-26-15, 08:52 AM
  #10  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 31,869

Bikes: 2010 Catrike Expedition, 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 484 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by heysmellthis View Post
I'm fine thank God and most of my bike too but now I need new wheels I don't know what 32h means or 700x30c is I know the wheels that came on the bike were double wall and machined I know or I think double wall makes for stronger which I need because I'm 230lbs and the streets here are busted and till today no troubles so I'm hoping to hit up Amazon for a deal and fit a 9spd casette. Just need to know the jargon. Any tips? It's a 2015 specialized sirrus elite
You should go to the Police Station and fill out an accident report.
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is offline  
Old 09-26-15, 10:33 AM
  #11  
reddog3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: River City, OR
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still have his license plate #, and possibly a witness or two? Go after him. Really. He should probably not be on the road. I see it all the time. We can't let these drivers run around blind to bicycle traffic.
reddog3 is offline  
Old 09-26-15, 10:38 AM
  #12  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 31,869

Bikes: 2010 Catrike Expedition, 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 484 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by reddog3 View Post
Still have his license plate #, and possibly a witness or two? Go after him. Really. He should probably not be on the road. I see it all the time. We can't let these drivers run around blind to bicycle traffic.
The dry cleaners may have some ID on the driver.
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is offline  
Old 09-26-15, 10:43 AM
  #13  
fthomas
Fred E Fenders
 
fthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Again! Philippines & S. California
Posts: 1,453

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by heysmellthis View Post
He came up from behind me I was on the right side far right to give plenty of passing room so I know he saw me he was going slow I thought you are in a truck you pass me pleas hurry I thought maybe he's letting me pass for some reason I didn't think he might about to be turning into this parking lot but still he came up behind me had to know to check his mirrors and he just started turning I'm not sure how my bike got caught but I started banging in the truck he wouldn't stop then for a second I thought I was gonna make a clean break heard some pops went down looked up he kept rolling on and my front spokes were all bent and a couple on the back popped loose. my front brake pads are really ripped too.. Any way I thought did he see me?? I walked up a bit and sure enough he was at a dry cleaners I told him "excuse me sir you hit me" he ignored I told him again to which he replied "I didn't see you I didn't hit you" got in his truck and drove off he was very old I thought maybe he really doesn't know he hit me I told him please let me get your insurance I don't want to call cops he drove off and I called cops only to say never mind... I just couldn't do it I hope he never hurts anyone including himself other than my wheels and brake of and serfas light a few bruises I'm fine and I'll think twice before riding without my helmet next time.
Your failure to immediately call the police for a hit and run allows this person to continue to drive. It almost cost you your life and represents a continuing danger for motorists and cyclist from a driver that appears to have no business on the road. I don't think being altruistic is the way to go here. You may have already given up the chance to obtain any legal and financial relief by failing to report it immediately.

Don't know why, but your failure to take appropriate action by contacting the police immediately is really upsetting to me. I cannot think of a good reason not to act appropriately and report a hit and run.
__________________
F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
fthomas is offline  
Old 09-26-15, 11:29 AM
  #14  
Chief
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 379

Bikes: SR, Bianchi, Raleigh, Bertin, Kona, Schwinn, Eisentraut, Zunow, Columbine, Naked, Nishiki, Phillips, Specialized, Giant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heysmellthis View Post
He came up from behind me I was on the right side far right to give plenty of passing room so I know he saw me he was going slow I thought you are in a truck you pass me pleas hurry I thought maybe he's letting me pass for some reason I didn't think he might about to be turning into this parking lot but still he came up behind me had to know to check his mirrors and he just started turning I'm not sure how my bike got caught but I started banging in the truck he wouldn't stop then for a second I thought I was gonna make a clean break heard some pops went down looked up he kept rolling on and my front spokes were all bent and a couple on the back popped loose. my front brake pads are really ripped too.. Any way I thought did he see me?? I walked up a bit and sure enough he was at a dry cleaners I told him "excuse me sir you hit me" he ignored I told him again to which he replied "I didn't see you I didn't hit you" got in his truck and drove off he was very old I thought maybe he really doesn't know he hit me I told him please let me get your insurance I don't want to call cops he drove off and I called cops only to say never mind... I just couldn't do it I hope he never hurts anyone including himself other than my wheels and brake of and serfas light a few bruises I'm fine and I'll think twice before riding without my helmet next time.
How's that "hope" thing working out?

Just kidding... I'm sure the old man went home and promptly called a charity to come get his donated car. He's no longer a menace on the roads... yeah!

I'm always shocked at the stories I hear from other cyclists who irrationally dismiss serious criminal actions committed against them.
Chief is offline  
Old 09-26-15, 12:40 PM
  #15  
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 22,553

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,216 Times in 767 Posts
Originally Posted by heysmellthis View Post
I need new wheels I don't know what 32h means or 700x30c is I know the wheels that came on the bike were double wall and machined I know or I think double wall makes for stronger which I need because I'm 230lbs
"32h" refers to the number of spoke holes on the hub. Well built 32 spoke wheels should be just fine for someone your size. "700 x 30C" is a tire designation, referring to a 30mm wide tire for a 700C (622mm bead seat diameter) rim. The important number for your replacement wheels is the 700C, as using a different rim diameter could lead to clearance problems with the frame or difficulty in setting the brake pads to land on the braking surface of the rim. The rim itself can be much narrower than the tire; you'd have no problems using a 30mm wide tire on an 18mm wide rim, for example. Double wall rims are strong, as you have surmised. Machined brake surfaces are a relatively recent fashion and not strictly necessary (the machined surface makes for somewhat smoother braking at the expense of less wear tolerance), but non-machined rims aren't that common anymore.
JohnDThompson is offline  
Old 09-26-15, 03:58 PM
  #16  
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 15,280

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2932 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 222 Posts
Don't forget inner rim width.
wphamilton is offline  
Old 09-26-15, 04:54 PM
  #17  
heysmellthis
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reddog3 View Post
Still have his license plate #, and possibly a witness or two? Go after him. Really. He should probably not be on the road. I see it all the time. We can't let these drivers run around blind to bicycle traffic.
One witness who asked if I was okay made sure then took off the dry cleaners didn't see the problem last time I was in a police station I was doused in pepper spray taxed and left with no charges
heysmellthis is offline  
Old 09-26-15, 04:56 PM
  #18  
heysmellthis
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
"32h" refers to the number of spoke holes on the hub. Well built 32 spoke wheels should be just fine for someone your size. "700 x 30C" is a tire designation, referring to a 30mm wide tire for a 700C (622mm bead seat diameter) rim. The important number for your replacement wheels is the 700C, as using a different rim diameter could lead to clearance problems with the frame or difficulty in setting the brake pads to land on the braking surface of the rim. The rim itself can be much narrower than the tire; you'd have no problems using a 30mm wide tire on an 18mm wide rim, for example. Double wall rims are strong, as you have surmised. Machined brake surfaces are a relatively recent fashion and not strictly necessary (the machined surface makes for somewhat smoother braking at the expense of less wear tolerance), but non-machined rims aren't that common anymore.
Thank you so much for the detailed info thru error and effort and help I'm becoming more savy and confident
heysmellthis is offline  
Old 09-26-15, 05:05 PM
  #19  
heysmellthis
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
How's that "hope" thing working out?

Just kidding... I'm sure the old man went home and promptly called a charity to come get his donated car. He's no longer a menace on the roads... yeah!

I'm always shocked at the stories I hear from other cyclists who irrationally dismiss serious criminal actions committed against them.
One thing I've excepted when I leave my house there is no guarantee I'm coming back unsaved or at all in a car on a bike or on foot we take a risk the jails are full of folks who have no business in there and murderes get 5 if that I've never thought of 911 as help or seen blue and red lights and felt safe, as I said I tried to get his insurance info he drove off my tire was too warped to pursue and press the issue putting him in jail wouldn't help me or him or make our streets any safer just more flesh in cages, maybe he shouldn't drive he was really old but I'm no judge and I'm not perfect I survived and I have no fear of getting back on the saddle riding a bike has really impacted me for the better and brought excitement to sobriety and though I'm sure there are many good cops I'd rather not involve them in my bike life, ironically I was riding to a meeting. And I still made it to that meeting spinning up hills has helped teach me perseverance and I'd hate to sully that with guilt. However if you have any pointers on a good brand of wheel for a fat guy I'd be happy to shop around one day out the saddle is too much.
heysmellthis is offline  
Old 09-26-15, 05:21 PM
  #20  
heysmellthis
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aerodynamics within everybody's reach The aerodynamic Mavic CXP 22 offers a pin joined rim extrusion and an impactful graphic approach. Technologies: • UB Control: Usiné Brut Control. The braking surfaces are milled to improve braking friction and eliminate shuddering. Features: • 6106 aluminium alloy • Pinned • Traditional drilling • UB Control • Aerodynamic profile • Clincher Front Hub: Shimano Claris HB-2400, 32 Holes, Black, 100 mm. Rear Hub: Shimano Claris FH-2400, 32 Holes, Black, 130 mm 7*/8/9/10 speed compatible. Note:7 speed needs a 4.5mm spacer.

do these seem like good wheels? They are double wall single eyelet
heysmellthis is offline  
Old 09-26-15, 06:32 PM
  #21  
Dsprok
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 250

Bikes: Hybrid and Folding

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by reddog3 View Post
Still have his license plate #, and possibly a witness or two? Go after him. Really. He should probably not be on the road. I see it all the time. We can't let these drivers run around blind to bicycle traffic.
If he cant see you on a bike how can he see pedestrians. Get him off the road.
Dsprok is offline  
Old 09-26-15, 07:01 PM
  #22  
Soody
Senior Member
 
Soody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 585

Bikes: Gunnar crosshairs, F Moser Forma, Pete Tansley Sport Tourer, Rocky Mountain Summit, Cinelli mtb, Diamant, Marin Eldridge Grade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 48 Posts
I'm really sorry this happened to you dude. Sounds awful and i understand where you're coming from. I've let drivers off the hook before in a similar circumstance. I don't trust the police now either. I used to, infact i've had some friends who were cops. The under-sensai at my old jujutsu dojo was a Cop, and he was the nicest fella imaginable. He bantered with us about a party and had some laughs (illegal details), then the next day, we asked, where's Bruce Sensai? We got told he was out busting a Meth lab and he was a narco. Wow we were shocked. There are some cops who are really nice people, but atleast in New Zealand, cyclists are generally a joke to them.

The other night i called the cops at the scene after i was very very nearly killed by wreckless endangerment, they were very helpful until the questionl;

Are you on a motorbike or a pushbike?

I've been driving on our roads for a long time, and i know my rights. I own a car. After that question though, the cop asked a few more , but his tone completely changed, and he told me they can't do anything about it because they're too busy. It was just a joke to him and in his eyes I don't belong on the road.

I'm white and polite so I get it easy, but some people get a really hard time from the police. A really nice guy I know, who's an electronics macguaver, but has schizophrenia, is homeless, crossdresses, and is all round 'weird', was pepper sprayed by the police while he was having a seizure, because it was scaring people.

When it comes down to it, you're the victim. Don't forget that, and don't do victim blaming. It's not your fault, and you shouldn't justify their actions. BUT, as the victim, you do what you want man. Sometimes you want to just put this stuff behind you, and i totally get it. I just hope you won't regret your decision in the future, or let that *******, or any *******, ruin cycling for you.

Good luck fixing your bike & stay safe.
Soody is offline  
Old 09-26-15, 07:57 PM
  #23  
heysmellthis
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Soody View Post
I'm really sorry this happened to you dude. Sounds awful and i understand where you're coming from. I've let drivers off the hook before in a similar circumstance. I don't trust the police now either. I used to, infact i've had some friends who were cops. The under-sensai at my old jujutsu dojo was a Cop, and he was the nicest fella imaginable. He bantered with us about a party and had some laughs (illegal details), then the next day, we asked, where's Bruce Sensai? We got told he was out busting a Meth lab and he was a narco. Wow we were shocked. There are some cops who are really nice people, but atleast in New Zealand, cyclists are generally a joke to them.

The other night i called the cops at the scene after i was very very nearly killed by wreckless endangerment, they were very helpful until the questionl;

Are you on a motorbike or a pushbike?

I've been driving on our roads for a long time, and i know my rights. I own a car. After that question though, the cop asked a few more , but his tone completely changed, and he told me they can't do anything about it because they're too busy. It was just a joke to him and in his eyes I don't belong on the road.

I'm white and polite so I get it easy, but some people get a really hard time from the police. A really nice guy I know, who's an electronics macguaver, but has schizophrenia, is homeless, crossdresses, and is all round 'weird', was pepper sprayed by the police while he was having a seizure, because it was scaring people.

When it comes down to it, you're the victim. Don't forget that, and don't do victim blaming. It's not your fault, and you shouldn't justify their actions. BUT, as the victim, you do what you want man. Sometimes you want to just put this stuff behind you, and i totally get it. I just hope you won't regret your decision in the future, or let that *******, or any *******, ruin cycling for you.

Good luck fixing your bike & stay safe.
Thanks bro. I'm wish my vocabulary was more intact there's a word for what's happening in this comment you posted I can't think of it but I do thank you and I'll keep on pushing. When the guy at the bike shop insisted I test ride and led me to light down hill he knew what he was doing I was hooked and still am up hill hurts so much but geez the reward is unlike anything else I don't mind sweating now and the sun and rain and clouds and cool breezes even the humidity it's all more appreciated even a head wind as long as it's behind me... Take care and be safe and yes I don't resent them anymore they're human like me and they're are plenty of good cops out there thanks for the encouragement.
heysmellthis is offline  
Old 09-27-15, 05:56 AM
  #24  
habilis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Morris County, NJ
Posts: 1,102

Bikes: 90's Bianchi Premio, Raleigh-framed fixed gear, Trek 3500, Centurion hybrid, Dunelt 3-spd, Trek 800

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know where you live, but in the U.S., there's a crime called "leaving the scene of an accident." The old man left twice: once when he crunched your wheels (don't worry, he felt it), and again when he left the store. Next time, call the cops, get a report, get insurance info from the other guy.

Your old man may be driving without insurance on an expired license - a menace to more people than just you. I've had bad encounters with cops, too, but they generally do their job in a case like yours (visible scrapes and damaged property. Also, get witnesses names and numbers. People are more cooperative than you think, but you need to ask them.
habilis is offline  
Old 09-27-15, 09:58 AM
  #25  
GravelMN
Senior Member
 
GravelMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rural Minnesota
Posts: 1,604
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by heysmellthis View Post
Hey thanks for the advice I found 36h with 105 hubs mavics 239.00 double wall but single eyelet what's the eyelets job? Pros of single and double ?
I didn't read every answer above, so someone may have addressed this. Eyelets are reinforcements around the spoke holes in the rim. Single eyelets reinforce only the outer wall of a double walled rim, double eyelets are cup shaped and reinforce both the inner and outer walls. Doubles add a tiny bit of weight but also provide a bit more strength against cracking and pull through at the spoke holes. Rims without eyelets are generally a bit thicker in the area of the spoke holes to compensate. There are great rims made without eyelets, with singles or doubles. When building a wheel for durability, I tend to lean toward double eyelets like the Mavic A719 or Open Pros, but I've used single eyelete RhynoLites as well and have never had a problem with either.

Last edited by GravelMN; 09-27-15 at 10:04 AM.
GravelMN is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.