Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano 105 Chain Installation

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimano 105 Chain Installation

Old 10-12-15, 09:13 PM
  #1  
mrblue
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mrblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 503

Bikes: Two Colnagos & A Cinelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano 105 Chain Installation

I was replacing my Shimano 105 chain and when I finished I realized I had installed it backwards (writing not facing toward drive-side). So I popped the chain pin out (the one Shimano gives you to connect your chain ends) and re-installed the chain correctly with a new chain pin.

So, my question is: Since I removed the chain pin and replaced it in the same hole (more than once) has the likelihood of my chain exploding increased exponentially?

Thanks.
mrblue is offline  
Old 10-12-15, 09:18 PM
  #2  
cale
Senior Member
 
cale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,250

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrblue View Post
I was replacing my Shimano 105 chain and when I finished I realized I had installed it backwards (writing not facing toward drive-side). So I popped the chain pin out (the one Shimano gives you to connect your chain ends) and re-installed the chain correctly with a new chain pin.

So, my question is: Since I removed the chain pin and replaced it in the same hole (more than once) has the likelihood of my chain exploding increased exponentially?

Thanks.
You'll probably find out. I usually do and they turn out to be fine.
cale is offline  
Old 10-13-15, 06:12 AM
  #3  
shelbyfv
Senior Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,009
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Shimano seems to think you shouldn't do that. Use a KMC link if you are concerned.
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 10-13-15, 08:59 AM
  #4  
Crankycrank
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,315
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
Use a KMC link if you are concerned.
This. You have everything to gain by using a re-usable link. No more farking around with a chain tool every time you r/r your chain, no more special replacement pins and this will solve your dicey link dilemma.
Crankycrank is offline  
Old 10-13-15, 10:45 AM
  #5  
dsbrantjr
Senior Member
 
dsbrantjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 6,050

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank View Post
This. You have everything to gain by using a re-usable link. No more farking around with a chain tool every time you r/r your chain, no more special replacement pins and this will solve your dicey link dilemma.
+10 You may find that you are inclined to clean your chain more often if it is convenient (and no-cost) to remove/replace it.
dsbrantjr is offline  
Old 10-13-15, 03:35 PM
  #6  
RoadGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,334

Bikes: 89 Schwinn 754, 90 Trek 1100, 93 Trek 2300, 94 Trek 1400 (under construction), 94 Trek 930, 97 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrblue View Post
I was replacing my Shimano 105 chain and when I finished I realized I had installed it backwards (writing not facing toward drive-side). So I popped the chain pin out (the one Shimano gives you to connect your chain ends) and re-installed the chain correctly with a new chain pin.

So, my question is: Since I removed the chain pin and replaced it in the same hole (more than once) has the likelihood of my chain exploding increased exponentially?

Thanks.

The replacement Shimano "joining pins" are a larger diameter that the original chain pins. The replacement pins are not designed to be removed and replaced because the holes in the side plates get enlarged by using the replacement joining pin. Which is why, Shimano Instructions say to take out a different pin each time you break the chain. It you are going to use the KMC, SRAM, or other replaceable link, it's best to push out the Shimano replacement pin and use the links that have the enlarged hole with the replaceable link.

Do not repeatedly push out and reinstall a replacement pin. The sideplate holes will get too big to reliable hole the replacement pin and the chain may separate at the worst possible time.
RoadGuy is offline  
Old 10-13-15, 07:09 PM
  #7  
mrblue
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mrblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 503

Bikes: Two Colnagos & A Cinelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, everyone! I kind of figured it wasn't a good idea to replace the connecting pin in the same hole. I decided to replace it with a KMC Master Link. Now I can sleep better
mrblue is offline  
Old 10-13-15, 08:13 PM
  #8  
bikeaday
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadGuy View Post
The replacement Shimano "joining pins" are a larger diameter that the original chain pins. The replacement pins are not designed to be removed and replaced because the holes in the side plates get enlarged by using the replacement joining pin. Which is why, Shimano Instructions say to take out a different pin each time you break the chain. It you are going to use the KMC, SRAM, or other replaceable link, it's best to push out the Shimano replacement pin and use the links that have the enlarged hole with the replaceable link.

Do not repeatedly push out and reinstall a replacement pin. The sideplate holes will get too big to reliable hole the replacement pin and the chain may separate at the worst possible time.
.. in a 10% grade, out of the saddle
bikeaday is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.