Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel Bearing Question

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wheel Bearing Question

Old 08-28-16, 08:54 PM
  #1  
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels
Thread Starter
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 3,124

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Wheel Bearing Question

I was under the assumption that there were 1/4 on rear and 3/16 on the front standard for ball bearings in wheels. I had a grind in my front wheel so I figured I had a broken axle, but it was not. But in the process I lost a wheel bearing so I figured I should just clean, put in new bearings and re lube. I took a bearing to my LBS and purchased the correct bearing after measuring. there were 9 on each side and measured 1/4? Is this possible or right.
Bike is a Cannondale CaadX with Maddux CX 2.1 wheels and I don't know what hub they used not listed where I can find it anyways. The bearing look right and rolls great after reassembly.


Any thoughts?
sdmc530 is offline  
Old 08-28-16, 09:22 PM
  #2  
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic
 
Jeff Wills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: other Vancouver
Posts: 9,696
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 304 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I was under the assumption that there were 1/4 on rear and 3/16 on the front standard for ball bearings in wheels. I had a grind in my front wheel so I figured I had a broken axle, but it was not. But in the process I lost a wheel bearing so I figured I should just clean, put in new bearings and re lube. I took a bearing to my LBS and purchased the correct bearing after measuring. there were 9 on each side and measured 1/4? Is this possible or right.
Bike is a Cannondale CaadX with Maddux CX 2.1 wheels and I don't know what hub they used not listed where I can find it anyways. The bearing look right and rolls great after reassembly.


Any thoughts?
It works. Don't mess with it.
__________________
Jeff Wills

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Jeff Wills is offline  
Old 08-29-16, 05:24 AM
  #3  
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes
 
_ForceD_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Rhode Island (sometimes in SE Florida)
Posts: 2,159

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 367 Posts
Failed bearings also usually include a damaged bearing cone and thus I always replace it too. Failure to replace damaged cones may render your otherwise good repair short-lived. You may want to take it back apart to check the condition of the cones (if you didn't do it initially).

Dan
_ForceD_ is offline  
Old 08-29-16, 05:37 AM
  #4  
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless
 
Bike Gremlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Novi Sad
Posts: 4,339

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I was under the assumption that there were 1/4 on rear and 3/16 on the front standard for ball bearings in wheels. I had a grind in my front wheel so I figured I had a broken axle, but it was not. But in the process I lost a wheel bearing so I figured I should just clean, put in new bearings and re lube. I took a bearing to my LBS and purchased the correct bearing after measuring. there were 9 on each side and measured 1/4? Is this possible or right.
Bike is a Cannondale CaadX with Maddux CX 2.1 wheels and I don't know what hub they used not listed where I can find it anyways. The bearing look right and rolls great after reassembly.


Any thoughts?
Odd sizes are, like the name says, odd, but they do exist. Some (older) hubs come with 5/32 as well.

+1 @Forced - do check the cups and cones for damage, pitting.
Bike Gremlin is offline  
Old 08-29-16, 05:52 AM
  #5  
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels
Thread Starter
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 3,124

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Thanks it works so I won't mess with it. I had my lbs look at the cones and they said they were good. But bearings didn't fail i just lost one when i took it apart so i just had to replace them. Just my bad luck i guess.
sdmc530 is offline  
Old 08-29-16, 06:03 AM
  #6  
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator
 
AlexCyclistRoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,202

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Failed bearings also usually include a damaged bearing cone and thus I always replace it too. Failure to replace damaged cones may render your otherwise good repair short-lived. You may want to take it back apart to check the condition of the cones (if you didn't do it initially).

Dan
Yes. Whenever doing bearing overhauls, after I clean the races and cones, I always check their condition with a 10x loupe and a flashlight.
AlexCyclistRoch is offline  
Old 08-29-16, 07:58 AM
  #7  
revcp 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,294

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
Yes. Whenever doing bearing overhauls, after I clean the races and cones, I always check their condition with a 10x loupe and a flashlight.
Easier way to check races and cones is with the tip of a ball point pin. If smooth flowing, you're good to go. If "scratchy" they may be done or going.
__________________
Don't complain about the weather and cower in fear. It's all good weather. Just different.
revcp is offline  
Old 08-29-16, 06:58 PM
  #8  
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels
Thread Starter
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 3,124

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
rode today, went perfectly very smooth no issues at all. took all the tools with me just in case and checked it often but smooth rolling......
sdmc530 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
maartendc
Bicycle Mechanics
16
03-18-19 10:37 AM
spectastic
Bicycle Mechanics
15
04-04-17 10:21 PM
storckm
Bicycle Mechanics
9
11-06-14 11:45 AM
MrLucky
Bicycle Mechanics
12
10-30-13 12:30 PM
Ttime
Bicycle Mechanics
3
09-15-12 02:07 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.