Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/)
-   -   Which bottom bracket for Cannondale 3.0 frame? (https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/1101868-bottom-bracket-cannondale-3-0-frame.html)

maartendc 03-20-17 07:19 AM

Which bottom bracket for Cannondale 3.0 frame?
 
Hello everyone,

I have a 1989 Cannondale 3.0 frame, currently with the original Shimano 105 square taper crankset on it.

One of the chainrings is bent, and the bottom bracket needs servicing, so I am going to swap out the crankset for a Dura Ace 7800 that I have lying around. This is a Hollowtech II crankset.

Question: Can I just use a modern Hollowtech II bottom bracket on this frame, like a Shimano Ultegra 6800 BB:
Shimano Ultegra 6800 Bottom Bracket | Chain Reaction Cycles

I am assuming the frame is English thread. Did anything change over time to the length standards of the bottom bracket area? Or will this just fit fine?

EDIT: This is the crankset I am currently using: http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.as...34a99&Enum=115

Thanks!

bradtx 03-20-17 08:19 AM


Originally Posted by maartendc (Post 19454061)
Hello everyone,

I have a 1989 Cannondale 3.0 frame, currently with the original Shimano 105 square taper crankset on it.

...I am assuming the frame is English thread. Did anything change over time to the length standards of the bottom bracket area? Or will this just fit fine? ...

Thanks!

It is English threaded so this should be an easy swap.

Brad

Barabaika 03-20-17 09:10 AM


Originally Posted by maartendc (Post 19454061)
I am assuming the frame is English thread. Did anything change over time to the length standards of the bottom bracket area? Or will this just fit fine?

You must measure the width of the shell where a bottom bracket screws in.

The bottom bracket in your link is 68mm. It's a standard width.

maartendc 03-20-17 10:11 AM


Originally Posted by Barabaika (Post 19454315)
You must measure the width of the shell where a bottom bracket screws in.

The bottom bracket in your link is 68mm. It's a standard width.


Originally Posted by bradtx (Post 19454188)
It is English threaded so this should be an easy swap.

Brad

Thanks guys. Yes, I know I need to make sure its either English or Italian.

I was mainly wondering about the bottom bracket Length though (meaning the distance between the left and right crankarms).

When you look at a square taper bottom bracket you can buy, they give you many different lengths, ranging from 107mm to 127mm:
Shimano UN55 Bottom Bracket > Components > Drivetrain > Threaded | Jenson USA

Does this not apply to the Hollowtech II bottom brackets? Why does it only come in 1 length?? Will it fit, no matter what the length of my Square taper is? (Which is 113mm according to the Velobase article).

Thanks!

Barabaika 03-20-17 10:43 AM


Originally Posted by maartendc (Post 19454481)
Does this not apply to the Hollowtech II bottom brackets? Why does it only come in 1 length?? Will it fit, no matter what the length of my Square taper is? (Which is 113mm according to the Velobase article).

A crankset defines the length of a bottom bracket that fits the crankset.
You change a crankset, you get a bottom bracket that works with it.

However, multiple lengths of square taper bottom brackets allow you to modify the chainline. Ideally, the chain must run from your favorite front chainring to your favorite rear cog without bending. But it's a minor issue.
Then, the smallest chainring shouldn't touch the right chainstay.

corrado33 03-20-17 10:50 AM


Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 19454504)
Crankset choice is an important Factor in the BB spindle length..

Unless you get one of the latest tube spindle, external bearing BB, Which you Show..

Then the BB spindle is part of the Right Crank arm.. And no Choice needed, or available..

You have to buy a new Crankset of that kind, you show an OLd Square taper Crank ..


the 2 pieces you show are incompatible.. What do you want to Keep..?


The Crank? then the UN BB is the Type... Right length ? I on the faceless internet, Have no Clue, go to a Bike Shop that has many lerngths to test fit.

What bob said. Hollowtech BBs and cranksets don't have an adjustable "spindle length" They're one length. Just make sure you buy the right BB that'll fit your shell (68 mm vs 70 mm) and the hollowtech crankset should fit. (I make no guarantees.)

With that said, I don't often work with hollowtech II BBs or cranksets, so I could be wrong. Best to do your own research.

maartendc 03-20-17 11:43 AM


Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 19454504)
Crankset choice is an important Factor in the BB spindle length..

You have to buy a new Crankset of that kind, you show an OLd Square taper Crank ..


the 2 pieces you show are incompatible.. What do you want to Keep..?

....

Thanks, but you did not read my initial post: I have a square taper crankset installed now, but I have a Hollowtech crankset lying around that I will swap out for it. I know they are incompatible.


Originally Posted by corrado33 (Post 19454607)
What bob said. Hollowtech BBs and cranksets don't have an adjustable "spindle length" They're one length. Just make sure you buy the right BB that'll fit your shell (68 mm vs 70 mm) and the hollowtech crankset should fit. (I make no guarantees.)

With that said, I don't often work with hollowtech II BBs or cranksets, so I could be wrong. Best to do your own research.

Thanks, that makes sense.

I was just wondering whether my old frame is somehow incompatible with the modern Bottom Brackets. I know Hollowtech BB always works with Hollowtech crankset, etc. etc.

(the reason I ask is because I know older frames have different spacing in the rear triangle 126 mm vs 130mm etc., so I was wondering if standards around the BB have changed too)

Homebrew01 03-20-17 11:54 AM

Cannondales are 68mm, English thread

corrado33 03-20-17 01:48 PM


Originally Posted by maartendc (Post 19454743)
Thanks, but you did not read my initial post: I have a square taper crankset installed now, but I have a Hollowtech crankset lying around that I will swap out for it. I know they are incompatible.



Thanks, that makes sense.

I was just wondering whether my old frame is somehow incompatible with the modern Bottom Brackets. I know Hollowtech BB always works with Hollowtech crankset, etc. etc.

(the reason I ask is because I know older frames have different spacing in the rear triangle 126 mm vs 130mm etc., so I was wondering if standards around the BB have changed too)

Ah. I think you'd be fine. I don't think it'd be so out of alignment that it wouldn't work. Sure, the middle of the crankset may not line up perfectly with the middle of the cassette/freewheel (I'm not sure either way), but small misalignments are tolerable. Especially in mountain biking.

The way to truly be sure though, is to look up the chainline for your old crankset + BB combination and your new crankset + bb combination. (That's probably not going to be easy.) What I would do is try to look up the chainline for a hollowtech II BB + crankset you want since it should be consistent, then simply measure yours.

But then again, there has been a chainline "standard" for MTBs for many years. All About Bicycle Chainline

bradtx 03-20-17 01:50 PM


Originally Posted by maartendc (Post 19454481)
...I was mainly wondering about the bottom bracket Length though (meaning the distance between the left and right crankarms).
...Does this not apply to the Hollowtech II bottom brackets? Why does it only come in 1 length?? Will it fit, no matter what the length of my Square taper is? (Which is 113mm according to the Velobase article).

Thanks!

The BB shell width is the standard 68 mm. The HollowtechII provides it's own spindle so the length is already accounted for.

Brad

fietsbob 03-20-17 03:06 PM

Ok You got your money's worth of Advice..

Threaded BB , + external bearing races , Works.. stick the right crank thru & put on the left arm..

many Component Designs are about faster assembly line procedures..





....

Ronno6 03-20-17 08:23 PM

I have several Cannondale frames that predate yours.
I use Shimano Hollowtech BB's as well as FSA MegExpo BB's.
Your threading is English threaded 68mm width.
You should encounter no problems, as everyone else has affirmed.

turkey9186 03-21-17 05:59 PM

Hollowtech II will work fine. I built a 1985 ST500, for my wife, and used 5700 components and a standard 5700 bottom bracket.

maartendc 03-31-17 01:54 PM


Originally Posted by turkey9186 (Post 19458268)
Hollowtech II will work fine. I built a 1985 ST500, for my wife, and used 5700 components and a standard 5700 bottom bracket.


Originally Posted by Ronno6 (Post 19456053)
I have several Cannondale frames that predate yours.
I use Shimano Hollowtech BB's as well as FSA MegExpo BB's.
Your threading is English threaded 68mm width.
You should encounter no problems, as everyone else has affirmed.


Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 19455317)
Ok You got your money's worth of Advice..

Threaded BB , + external bearing races , Works.. stick the right crank thru & put on the left arm..

many Component Designs are about faster assembly line procedures..

....

Thanks guys, thats helpful. I will give it a shot!

shelbyfv 04-01-17 05:25 AM

You will love Hollowtech II, so easy.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:39 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.