Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cannondale 300m handlebars turn if you hold the tire

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cannondale 300m handlebars turn if you hold the tire

Old 06-06-17, 09:00 PM
  #1  
Bartmuley
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale 300m handlebars turn if you hold the tire

Hi, sorry for the confusing title but I was recently given an old 300m. It's in good shape but I was just going over everything and Checking it over and found the handlebars will turn even if you're holding the front wheel in place.

I've tightened the bolt that goes down into the stem as tight as it will go but the handlebars can still be turned while holding the wheel. They aren't extremely loose but it's enough to make me wary of riding it obviously.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bartmuley is offline  
Old 06-06-17, 09:10 PM
  #2  
AndreyT
Senior Member
 
AndreyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
http://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-me...t-tighten.html
AndreyT is offline  
Old 06-06-17, 09:13 PM
  #3  
MikeOK
Yo
 
MikeOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ozark Mountains
Posts: 1,607

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't tighten the stem bolt as hard as you can, it isn't for keeping your bars straight. There are pinch bolts on the side of your stem, those are the ones that keep it from turning.
MikeOK is offline  
Old 06-06-17, 09:51 PM
  #4  
Bartmuley
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeOK View Post
You don't tighten the stem bolt as hard as you can, it isn't for keeping your bars straight. There are pinch bolts on the side of your stem, those are the ones that keep it from turning.
Thanks for the reply but I don't see any bolts on the side of the stem.
Bartmuley is offline  
Old 06-06-17, 10:17 PM
  #5  
SkyDog75
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 3,797

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bartmuley View Post
Hi, sorry for the confusing title but I was recently given an old 300m. It's in good shape but I was just going over everything and Checking it over and found the handlebars will turn even if you're holding the front wheel in place.
There are a few different possible causes.

If the bike has a threadless stem, common for the last 15 years or so, then MikeOK mentioned a likely problem. Since you said there are no bolts on the side of the stem, you probably have a threaded steerer and a quill stem.

How far down is the quill stem inserted into the fork's steerer tube? If it's bottoming out, the stem's wedge may be resting on the butted (angled) part of the steerer tube. Sheldon Brown's web site has an easy-to-understand illustration HERE. You'd need to raise the stem a little bit to get off the butted section and then it'll grab a whole lot better.

If you're not bottoming out, I'd suggest removing the stem and wedge to inspect them and the inside of the steerer tube. If there are no cracks or other apparent problems, put it back together, taking care not to bottom out the stem on the butted section of the steerer tube.
SkyDog75 is offline  
Old 06-06-17, 11:03 PM
  #6  
maddog34
Senior Member
 
maddog34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NW Oregon
Posts: 1,373

Bikes: !981 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, and a trek 6700 with updates

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyDog75 View Post
There are a few different possible causes.

If the bike has a threadless stem, common for the last 15 years or so, then MikeOK mentioned a likely problem. Since you said there are no bolts on the side of the stem, you probably have a threaded steerer and a quill stem.

How far down is the quill stem inserted into the fork's steerer tube? If it's bottoming out, the stem's wedge may be resting on the butted (angled) part of the steerer tube. Sheldon Brown's web site has an easy-to-understand illustration HERE. You'd need to raise the stem a little bit to get off the butted section and then it'll grab a whole lot better.

If you're not bottoming out, I'd suggest removing the stem and wedge to inspect them and the inside of the steerer tube. If there are no cracks or other apparent problems, put it back together, taking care not to bottom out the stem on the butted section of the steerer tube.
it's an old cannondale, with a tange 1" threaded headset.... stem will be a QUILL type steering stem...

to the OP... loosen the bolt at the top of the part that goes into the fork tube( the bolt you already tightened)SEVERAL TURNS....... tap it downward with a light hammer... it SHOULD drop to the top of the stem when you do this... IF it doesn't drop down, reply here.

if it DOES drop down, then you should slide the stem out of the fork's top tube, and CLEAN it... then, inspect the threads inside of it... are they funky looking? stripped out?

reply back with what you find, ok?
maddog34 is offline  
Old 06-06-17, 11:14 PM
  #7  
MikeOK
Yo
 
MikeOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ozark Mountains
Posts: 1,607

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't think of a threaded steer tube. If you have a threaded one you won't have pinch bolts on the side. The center bolt is the only one you'll have and it goes down to a wedge that the bolt jams together down in the steer tube. Try what Skydog and maddog suggested.
MikeOK is offline  
Old 06-07-17, 01:41 AM
  #8  
MikeOK
Yo
 
MikeOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ozark Mountains
Posts: 1,607

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does yours look like the picture in this thread?
http://www.bikeforums.net/framebuild...uill-stem.html
That's a stem that uses a wedge like we are talking about.
MikeOK is offline  
Old 06-07-17, 08:46 PM
  #9  
Bartmuley
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34 View Post
it's an old cannondale, with a tange 1" threaded headset.... stem will be a QUILL type steering stem...

to the OP... loosen the bolt at the top of the part that goes into the fork tube( the bolt you already tightened)SEVERAL TURNS....... tap it downward with a light hammer... it SHOULD drop to the top of the stem when you do this... IF it doesn't drop down, reply here.

if it DOES drop down, then you should slide the stem out of the fork's top tube, and CLEAN it... then, inspect the threads inside of it... are they funky looking? stripped out?

reply back with what you find, ok?
I've taken everything apart and as far as I can tell it all looks good. The threads on the wedge look fine. I haven't put it back together yet, I have to get grease for it tomorrow. The inside of the tube looks good to me, but I'm not sure if that's something you can tell with the naked eye or not.

Thanks for the replies. After I get it put together again I'll give an update.
Bartmuley is offline  
Old 06-09-17, 08:28 PM
  #10  
Bartmuley
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cleaned and regreased everything. After I got it put back together I tried to turn the handlebars while holding the tire and couldn't. So so far so good. I'm about to take it on its maiden ride. Thanks for the help and replies, I really appreciate it.
Bartmuley is offline  
Old 06-10-17, 01:17 AM
  #11  
maddog34
Senior Member
 
maddog34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NW Oregon
Posts: 1,373

Bikes: !981 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, and a trek 6700 with updates

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bartmuley View Post
I cleaned and regreased everything. After I got it put back together I tried to turn the handlebars while holding the tire and couldn't. So so far so good. I'm about to take it on its maiden ride. Thanks for the help and replies, I really appreciate it.
cool!
happy riding!
maddog34 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
PigGirl
Blogger's Forum
0
08-17-09 07:44 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.