Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can I take one bike chain off one bike and put it on another?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Can I take one bike chain off one bike and put it on another?

Old 10-01-17, 09:21 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can I take one bike chain off one bike and put it on another?

I have a pure fix bike with a Z chain KMC, and a Schwinn ranger. I want to take off the pure fix chain and put it onto the Schwinn ranger 6/7 speed, whcih I am trying to operate as a one speed bike. I have no derailleur on the ranger. I was going to have it set up as middle to middle on the ranger. Middle in the front and 3rd or 4th in the back. The problem is I don't know if the pure fix chain will be the right length and width for the ranger, don't have the measurement tools. Also I don't see the quick link on the pure fix. Not sure how to take the chain off. I have a chain tool though. Can I use the chain tool to take out one of the chain bolts and then place that chain on the ranger and pop that chain bolt back in with the chain tool?


Thank you
Honda_03 is offline  
Old 10-01-17, 09:35 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
trailangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 4,848

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Leave the chain on the first bike, buy a new chain for the second bike, otherwise.........you will be buying 2 chains.
trailangel is offline  
Old 10-01-17, 09:44 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13

Bikes: Ross eurosport, lotus elite,

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes you can when removing the pin on the chain you want to back the pin out just enough to separate the chain makes it easy to reassemble. It can be a pain to get the pin back in if it's all the way out. Also a good time to shorten it if needed
Smlitz12 is offline  
Old 10-01-17, 10:44 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
maddog34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NW Oregon
Posts: 3,167

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Liked 822 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Smlitz12
Yes you can when removing the pin on the chain you want to back the pin out just enough to separate the chain makes it easy to reassemble. It can be a pain to get the pin back in if it's all the way out. Also a good time to shorten it if needed
No, that "FIX" chain is TOO WIDE to use on the Schwinn Ranger sprockets.

the OP has already been dealing with false shifts, and the wider FIXIE chain will increase that problem.

Honda_3 ... go get a new chain for a 6-7-8 Speed bike... have a good bike mechanic help you install it onto the Ranger, ok?
I still think you should repair the Ranger correctly with whatever parts it needs, not turn it into a single speed bike.... USED derailleurs cost about 10 dollars... cables cost about 3 dollars... a chain to replace the one you shortened costs more... if you are not capable of doing the repair yourself, seek assistance.... any long term bicyclist should be able to help you.

And there is a large chance that the FIXIE chain will also be too short... at least count the links before you remove it for no reason... then count the links on the chain that you ruined trying to repair your Ranger.

Last edited by maddog34; 10-01-17 at 10:49 AM.
maddog34 is online now  
Old 10-01-17, 10:55 AM
  #5  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13

Bikes: Ross eurosport, lotus elite,

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
No, that "FIX" chain is TOO WIDE to use on the Schwinn Ranger sprockets.

the OP has already been dealing with false shifts, and the wider FIXIE chain will increase that problem.

Honda_3 ... go get a new chain for a 6-7-8 Speed bike... have a good bike mechanic help you install it onto the Ranger, ok?
I still think you should repair the Ranger correctly with whatever parts it needs, not turn it into a single speed bike.... USED derailleurs cost about 10 dollars... cables cost about 3 dollars... a chain to replace the one you shortened costs more... if you are not capable of doing the repair yourself, seek assistance.... any long term bicyclist should be able to help you.

And there is a large chance that the FIXIE chain will also be too short... at least count the links before you remove it for no reason... then count the links on the chain that you ruined trying to repair your Ranger.
Oh I see when he said he was ganna run the ranger as a single speed I thought he was ganna change the cassette to a single speed cog.
Smlitz12 is offline  
Old 10-01-17, 11:01 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Posts: 30,225

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Might work, but I doubt it. The odds of a chain from one single speed bike being exactly the right length to fit another single speed bike are pretty long.

Measure from the centerline of the crank to the centerline of the rear cog. If those measurements are exactly the same, count the number of teeth on both cranksets and both rear cogs. If everything is equal, and the chain width is the same, you're in!
__________________
My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 10-01-17 at 11:05 AM.
Retro Grouch is offline  
Old 10-01-17, 11:52 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
maddog34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NW Oregon
Posts: 3,167

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Liked 822 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Might work, but I doubt it. The odds of a chain from one single speed bike being exactly the right length to fit another single speed bike are pretty long.

Measure from the centerline of the crank to the centerline of the rear cog. If those measurements are exactly the same, count the number of teeth on both cranksets and both rear cogs. If everything is equal, and the chain width is the same, you're in!
"fixie" chain is 1/8"... multi-gear bike chain is 3/32"... they LOOK similar, but are not... and if the fixie's chain uses an old school master link, MORE problems, eh? like, the chain coming off, damage to yet another chain, etc.
maddog34 is online now  
Old 10-01-17, 02:01 PM
  #8  
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 24,915

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,526 Times in 1,998 Posts
If the chain on the Pure Fix is 1/8" wide, as many chains on single speed/fixed gear bikes are, it can work on cogs and chainrings designed for 3/32" wide chain. If there is more than one cog on the back, there may not be enough space between the cogs for the wider chain to fully seat. A single-cog conversion cassette kit or single freewheel would address this issue, or just use the 3/32" chain that's currently on the Schwinn. As Retro Grouch notes, it's likely that the chain will need to be shortened to work with a single gear.
JohnDThompson is offline  
Old 10-01-17, 03:25 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
maddog34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NW Oregon
Posts: 3,167

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Liked 822 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
If the chain on the Pure Fix is 1/8" wide, as many chains on single speed/fixed gear bikes are, it can work on cogs and chainrings designed for 3/32" wide chain. If there is more than one cog on the back, there may not be enough space between the cogs for the wider chain to fully seat. A single-cog conversion cassette kit or single freewheel would address this issue, or just use the 3/32" chain that's currently on the Schwinn. As Retro Grouch notes, it's likely that the chain will need to be shortened to work with a single gear.
The OP already shortened the original chain too far... and i'm assuming he then disposed of the removed section...

IF he DIDN'T dispose of that removed chain section, he could simply add a portion of that section back into the chain with a Quick link/missing link master link.
he continues to want to use the existing 7 speed freewheel, so a 1/8" chain will not work, it will false shift on bumps or when tossing the bike side to side while climbing/accelerating.

this is his second thread on the chain issue..... had the chain mounted on the small front, and 4th gear, which he mistakenly call the 3rd gear.... cross chaining plus bumps/swinging lead to a sudden shift to a larger rear gear, and severe tightness of the chain. He is now attempting to mount the chain onto the middle/4th, since that will be the best chain line for SS'ing a multi geared MTB.

Last edited by maddog34; 10-01-17 at 03:28 PM.
maddog34 is online now  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
george25923
Bicycle Mechanics
9
01-20-15 09:58 PM
j814wong
Bicycle Mechanics
38
02-22-14 12:41 PM
NewbieWithBikes
Bicycle Mechanics
3
08-18-12 01:04 AM
Tony Pham
Bicycle Mechanics
20
06-20-11 10:16 AM
notoriouslyKEN
Hybrid Bicycles
9
11-10-10 07:05 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.