Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Freehub Removal Giant Toughroad SLR1

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Freehub Removal Giant Toughroad SLR1

Reply

Old 12-05-17, 07:01 PM
  #1  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,000

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Freehub Removal Giant Toughroad SLR1

I have the Toughroad with 10-speed cassette. i try to service the freehub but can't find a way to take it off. what i saw on the internet doesn't seem to match what I have (10mm hex etc.)

There is some sort of hex (or octa... hard to see) inside the hub, but that seems to be larger than my 10mm hex can fit and 10mm is the largest I have. Do I need some special tool? I read some hubs get removed from the non-drive side, but I didn't see something. I didn't do anything violent because wanted to have your advice first. I'm sure it is something really mundane I oversee here.






After I (hopefully) remove it I wanted to at least lube it. Not sure I really like to soak it in solvent at all. I did read "Zinn & Art of MTB Maintenance" and he makes it sound lubing should work without removing. however, I wanted to remove it anyway to know how to do it and to see better how it works and what condition it is on (or if I ever need to replace it)
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 09:57 PM
  #2  
Eggman84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 269

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
To get the correct answer, provide the manufacturer and model number. If it a shimano hub, they have used different size hex wrenches. Take it the hub as is to ACE Hardware or equivalent and see what hex wrench fits.
Eggman84 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 10:15 PM
  #3  
wschruba 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,320
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Either an 11 or 12mm hex key is likely what you need.

Bondhus sells keys in that size

Removing the freehub won't actually help much--it's a self-contained unit, held together by the silver cup with the two notches you can see in your pictures. The proper tool to remove that is a drag-link socket (really, an obsolete tool that Shimano no longer makes, but the drag-link socket works fine), but is still not necessary/nor advised, as Zinn points out.

Drip a few drops of heavy oil between the moving gap/stationary core, and reap all the benefits that you could for opening it up, anyway.
wschruba is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 07:59 AM
  #4  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,000

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Eggman84 View Post
To get the correct answer, provide the manufacturer and model number. If it a shimano hub, they have used different size hex wrenches. Take it the hub as is to ACE Hardware or equivalent and see what hex wrench fits.
There is no model number visible. I assume it is a generic Giant free hub that they re-labelled (or didn't label in this case). I assume the freehub is proprietary to the actual hub? So if I ever need to replace it I either replace the whole hub inc. freehub, or have to go to giant LBS. Or am i wrong and there is another way to get a repalcement?

I have to order a 12 mm key, none of the local stores have larger than 10 mm actually in the store.

Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
Either an 11 or 12mm hex key is likely what you need.

Bondhus sells keys in that size

Removing the freehub won't actually help much--it's a self-contained unit, held together by the silver cup with the two notches you can see in your pictures. The proper tool to remove that is a drag-link socket (really, an obsolete tool that Shimano no longer makes, but the drag-link socket works fine), but is still not necessary/nor advised, as Zinn points out.

Drip a few drops of heavy oil between the moving gap/stationary core, and reap all the benefits that you could for opening it up, anyway.
Yeah, I figured for servicing i don't need to take it off. Just wanted to know how to do it in case i need to. At least now i can get the tools i will need. i put in wet-chain oil and it got quieter, so that helped. it wasn't loud, but is almost noiseless now. Wet chain lube is what I had and it hopefully stick in there for a while.

Maybe for next time I buy the freehub tool, but not sure it is worthwhuile and i need to use their expesnive lube from a syrenge.
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 08:12 AM
  #5  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 35,655

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5091 Post(s)
Like all bike companies, Giant made the frames, they buy everything else..
they buy a lot, so those vendors add the Giant logo for their customer..

You don't know who made the hub? ask the dealer you bought it from, or your favorite bike shop.

10mm hex wrench , long end, should unscrew the sleeve bolt if that is what it uses, that is what Shimano has used..





...

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-06-17 at 08:19 AM.
fietsbob is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 08:42 AM
  #6  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,000

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Like all bike companies, Giant made the frames, they buy everything else..
they buy a lot, so those vendors add the Giant logo for their customer..

You don't know who made the hub? ask the dealer you bought it from, or your favorite bike shop.

10mm hex wrench , long end, should unscrew the sleeve bolt if that is what it uses, that is what Shimano has used..
...
the dealer isn't gonna know who made the hub since it is a "Giant XXX" hub. Giant either just buys them from some manufacturer, or has one made them to their specs and has all label removed. They likely can get me a new one, but at LBS prices and it will take forever.
And last time i went to my LBS to ask for something: first, I had to go there, then the first person doesn't know where to look it up, then they look it up somehow but can't find it and say they call me once they find it.... but never do, then I go there again, and they say they will call me... until I give up and go online. I went through that with cones and other stuff that I even brought in and they couldn't get me some and I was able to find them online myself.

10 mm key still has plenty of room. So if it is hex, then probably 12 mm.
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 08:44 AM
  #7  
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 31,036

Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
10mm hex wrench , long end, should unscrew the sleeve bolt if that is what it uses, that is what Shimano has used.
As noted above, this is most likely not a Shimano hub and a 10 mm hex is too small.
HillRider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 08:53 AM
  #8  
wschruba 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,320
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
Maybe for next time I buy the freehub tool, but not sure it is worthwhuile and i need to use their expesnive lube from a syrenge.
NB, the Freehub Buddy is also an obsolete tool, since the large majority of better freehubs have gone away from the Shimano design. Also, Paul Morningstar died--he no longer produces the tools/parts. Also also, if you read carefully, that listing is for a part of the main tool, not the tool itself.

You could pump whatever you wanted through that, not just the half-grease/half-oil that Paul sold.
wschruba is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 09:18 AM
  #9  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 4,359

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Giant 8/9/10 Speed Loose Ball Freehub Body, GDC102-301, FH04
Product Detail

This shows allen



https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057764372
This might also be your style freehub.
dedhed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 09:29 AM
  #10  
Scooty Puff Jr
Senior Member
 
Scooty Puff Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: St. Petersburg, Fl
Posts: 924

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Not trying to sound negative but it looks to be a generic “non serviceable” free-hub, I had one on my 2016 Fuji Crosstown, you need a tool that looks like this to get it off. If it were a Shimano hub, then you would definitely and clearly be able to see the “Shimano” logo on it somewhere.



But beware when you remove it because there’s about 50 very tiny loose ball bearings that will come pouring out if there’s no grease to hold them in. I was forced to ride through waste high water during a bad storm and it messed up my freehub, no Allen wrench would fit it. There’s a old bike mechanic that works out of his garage, and he happened to have the tool. We had to mount the tool in a vise and it took both of us turning on the wheel to break it loose.

Last edited by Scooty Puff Jr; 12-06-17 at 09:35 AM.
Scooty Puff Jr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 10:45 AM
  #11  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,000

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
NB, the Freehub Buddy is also an obsolete tool, since the large majority of better freehubs have gone away from the Shimano design. Also, Paul Morningstar died--he no longer produces the tools/parts. Also also, if you read carefully, that listing is for a part of the main tool, not the tool itself.

You could pump whatever you wanted through that, not just the half-grease/half-oil that Paul sold.
Thanks, that spared me from buying a useless tool. I think the just dripping in some oil like I did will be OK anyway. I think 99% of people never do anything to the freehub, so I'm already ahead

Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
Yes, looks exactly like that M13 spline tool the guy said. I assume an allen can be misused too.

Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr View Post
Not trying to sound negative but it looks to be a generic “non serviceable” free-hub, I had one on my 2016 Fuji Crosstown, you need a tool that looks like this to get it off. If it were a Shimano hub, then you would definitely and clearly be able to see the “Shimano” logo on it somewhere.

But beware when you remove it because there’s about 50 very tiny loose ball bearings that will come pouring out if there’s no grease to hold them in. I was forced to ride through waste high water during a bad storm and it messed up my freehub, no Allen wrench would fit it. There’s a old bike mechanic that works out of his garage, and he happened to have the tool. We had to mount the tool in a vise and it took both of us turning on the wheel to break it loose.
Yup, looks like the tool that would open the freehub. I saw a youtube video of a guy who made one like these from a socket. That guy showed how he took it apart... but clearly I don't want to take it apart. I just lube as i did and hope it lives along time. Seems to be a throwaway item. But like with cartridge bearings, someone on the internet can make a case for servicing them instead of replacing.

Thanks for all your help. I now have a silent lubed freehub and at least know how I could replace it if i ever had to (hopefully never) and know my bicycle a bit better.
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 10:51 AM
  #12  
Scooty Puff Jr
Senior Member
 
Scooty Puff Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: St. Petersburg, Fl
Posts: 924

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post

Thanks for all your help. I now have a silent lubed freehub and at least know how I could replace it if i ever had to (hopefully never) and know my bicycle a bit better.
Glad you got it lubed, but just plan on replacing and upgrading the hub when the freehub gives up the ghost. There's no replacement freehub out there, I looked as did my bike mechanic and LBS, ended upgrading to XT hubs that I know are serviceable.
Scooty Puff Jr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 12:11 PM
  #13  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,000

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr View Post
Glad you got it lubed, but just plan on replacing and upgrading the hub when the freehub gives up the ghost. There's no replacement freehub out there, I looked as did my bike mechanic and LBS, ended upgrading to XT hubs that I know are serviceable.
how many miles did you get out of yours and what conditions? did you lube it?
I think once I replace the hub I go for one with cartridge bearings and maybe whole new wheel since I have to re-lace it anyway.

The fact that as a kid and a youth I rode a lot and never even knew this has to be serviced gives me some hope it will last a while. it wasn't before i came to this forum that I have this drive to disassemble my bike all the time and service everything I can - needed or not. Maybe reading more books and the internet make me paranoid
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 12:31 PM
  #14  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 4,359

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
I take my Ultegra FH off my commuter every winter, run it through the parts washer, then brake cleaner and air to dry, drip 30W synthetic oil in it to relube. I don't know that I would try to disassemble it. 30K miles so far and quiet as a mouse.
dedhed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 12:31 PM
  #15  
davidad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,590
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
http://www.formulahubs.com/technology.php


I can only guess, but I think the wrench would be 11mm. That's my experience with Trek hubs of a friends.
davidad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 01:23 PM
  #16  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,000

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Originally Posted by davidad View Post
Formula
I can only guess, but I think the wrench would be 11mm. That's my experience with Trek hubs of a friends.
what you linked shows a hub with sealed cartridge bearings, mine is cup/cone. So unlikely they would be similar.
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 03:30 PM
  #17  
Scooty Puff Jr
Senior Member
 
Scooty Puff Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: St. Petersburg, Fl
Posts: 924

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
how many miles did you get out of yours and what conditions? did you lube it?
I think once I replace the hub I go for one with cartridge bearings and maybe whole new wheel since I have to re-lace it anyway.
It only had a couple thousand miles on it, though it had been raining here for a week solid and was flooding everywhere and I got caught in a nasty storm, and thought I’d be riding through 6 inches of water turned out to be knee deep. It basically washed the grease out of the freehub. Yes I repacked it, but its something I’d never attempt again, 25 tiny ball bearings on each side that had to be packed and reset very carefully. I ended up having a nice set of wheels built with sealed bearing XT hubs later on.

Your hub should be fine for a long time unless you ride through a lot of water and very dirty trails.
Scooty Puff Jr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 03:32 PM
  #18  
Scooty Puff Jr
Senior Member
 
Scooty Puff Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: St. Petersburg, Fl
Posts: 924

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
I take my Ultegra FH off my commuter every winter, run it through the parts washer, then brake cleaner and air to dry, drip 30W synthetic oil in it to relube. I don't know that I would try to disassemble it. 30K miles so far and quiet as a mouse.
Yup, you can do that with Shimano hubs, though that’s not the case with the OP hubs.
Scooty Puff Jr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 04:29 PM
  #19  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 35,655

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5091 Post(s)
Yea There is a range of possibilities.. “non serviceable” free-hub, would be a parts pick
to keep the price down to what you were willing to pay for the bike.
fietsbob is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 11:42 AM
  #20  
davidad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,590
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
I know, but the hubs are basically the same. Chuck has two Trek wheelsets and one is cup and cone and the other has radial bearings. Other than that the hubs are nearly the identical.
davidad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-18, 07:42 PM
  #21  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,000

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
deleted-responded to wrong thread

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 02-24-18 at 08:10 PM.
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-18, 10:24 PM
  #22  
davidad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,590
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
!! mm alien wrench should remove it. I take them apart and replace the pawl spring with a heavier piano wire spring so I can pump fresh grease into the freehub every 5k miles or so.
davidad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 04:33 PM
  #23  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,000

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
I'm resurrecting this thread since my new problem is related. I had an issue that my cassette would wiggle a bit sideways. Due to a little lose freehub. Back in spring it still was under warranty, so I took the wheel to the LBS (in case it needs warranty freehub replacement) instead of fixing myself. They tightened it a bit, which improved the situation.

now the same problem of the cassette is wiggling appeared again. I bought an 11mm Park Allen key and tightened the freehub myself with help of a large Crescent wrench. Problem is i may have over tightened it (it is 45 Nm or so) as it got looser. There was no goo way to use a torque wrench. I removed the freehub and saw some metal grit, but the threads still looked good. So I re-installed the freehub and made it less tight (there seems to be a point to tighten it without overtighten). so from the outside the situation still the same as before my "repair". Rode around the block, cassette still wiggles the same, but not worse.

I'm kind of preparing myself to buy a new hub (and build new wheel while I'm at it since i need new spokes anyway) since I don't want to get stranded with a broken freehub when the threads actually give up. Or is that overkill? I mean the freehub is as tight as before and I don't know if a human creates enough force to over-tighten it again to strip it out more? I go on up to 100 mile day-trips, so being stranded somewhere isn't great.

I wasn't planning to build a new wheel right now (was waiting for next year to upgrade to 1x12 or something and then go to shimano spline or xD depending on how the market develops) now building a new wheel with HG hub is't really great.

i realize the safer way is to replace, and over the Internet no one can tell for sure. but wonder if you guys have experience with overtightening freehubs.
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 10:12 PM
  #24  
MarcusT
Senior Member
 
MarcusT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NE Italy
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
All I know, is when I was considering the SLR1, I had some questions about the hub and emailed Giant. Their reply was very brief: "They are proprietary hubs". That convinced me to not buy it.
MarcusT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-18, 01:25 PM
  #25  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,000

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Originally Posted by MarcusT View Post
All I know, is when I was considering the SLR1, I had some questions about the hub and emailed Giant. Their reply was very brief: "They are proprietary hubs". That convinced me to not buy it.
Most manufacturers play that game with their own branded parts. All the Trek/giant/specialized hubs, stems etc. are better than Walmart products, but not like actually good brands (DT, shimano et al). The only manufacturer/vendor that actually uses and lists real brand names (regardless of if they are good) is bikesdirect.
If you really care about specific gearing, parts, etc, you are better off buying a frame and building your own bike. Which is what my next bike will be.

Someone somewhere gave me a link for a replacement freehub for probably this hub..... it cost more than an all new shimano Deore (or even SLX) hub. Lol, and the Dore hub has much better seals and is a complete hub inc. freehub.
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service