Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need A 32mm Headset Wrench Now But Which One For Possible Future Use?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Need A 32mm Headset Wrench Now But Which One For Possible Future Use?

Old 02-08-18, 10:06 AM
  #1  
estasnyc
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Need A 32mm Headset Wrench Now But Which One For Possible Future Use?

Needing a 32mm headset wrench for a threaded steerer, I took a look at what Park Tool has. They offer 3 double-ended wrenches having 32mm on one side and 15mm, 30mm and 36mm on the opposite. Meanwhile, Pedro's offers a single-ended 32mm wrench that's a little cheaper.

Might anyone here say if or when I may come to need either 30mm or 36mm? I already have a 15mm wrench and won't need another.

BTW, I already have an adjustable wrench but, for those who don't already know from experience, will need a second dedicated headset wrench to insert into a tight space of about 1/8" or 3.5mm.
estasnyc is offline  
Old 02-08-18, 10:13 AM
  #2  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,339 Times in 847 Posts
32 + the 15 will go on pedals and track nuts. 36 for 1.125" threaded headsets..
fietsbob is offline  
Old 02-08-18, 12:00 PM
  #3  
estasnyc
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks. I'll go with the Park Tool 32mm/36mm headset wrench then.
estasnyc is offline  
Old 02-08-18, 12:32 PM
  #4  
capnjonny 
Senior Member
 
capnjonny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Saratoga calif.
Posts: 903

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 315 Times in 135 Posts
Or you could go down to your local neighborhood Harbor Freight and by a 16" crescent wrench for under $10 . A 15mm open end wrench from same place will work on most pedals. I use a short 15 mm wrench . With a couple taps from a ball peen hammer on the wrench the pedals always come off.
capnjonny is online now  
Old 02-08-18, 12:36 PM
  #5  
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 8,373

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2409 Post(s)
Liked 1,618 Times in 1,124 Posts
You did not mention the length of the 15mm wrench you have. Assuming it is a common combination with a box 15 on one end and an 15 open on the other, you may not have met your match in the leverage wars when removing pedals. Good for you if that's the case. You may be stronger than the rest of us. A long 15, such as the Park 32/15, can be very handy when a pedal is reluctant to break loose.
thumpism is offline  
Old 02-08-18, 12:49 PM
  #6  
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 11,021

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3706 Post(s)
Liked 2,548 Times in 1,667 Posts
Originally Posted by capnjonny View Post
Or you could go down to your local neighborhood Harbor Freight and by a 16" crescent wrench for under $10 . A 15mm open end wrench from same place will work on most pedals. I use a short 15 mm wrench . With a couple taps from a ball peen hammer on the wrench the pedals always come off.
A little off topic but ... there is absolutely no reason to have pedals on so tight they require anything unusual to remove. Their thread directions are chosen so they self tighten as you ride. In the rare case where the pedal bearings freeze up, a not so tight pedal thread means the pedal cleated to your foot will unscrew instead of rotating you. (Pedal wrenches are as big as they are so shop mechanics can deal with someone else's over-tightening, no so they can honk the pedal on that tight o though some of them do.)

I used to tighten my pedals fairly tight. Now a 6" wrench is plenty. A real bonus with pedal removal/swapping becoming an everyday occurrence instead every few years. Heck, now we take pedals off just to weigh our bikes!

Ben
79pmooney is offline  
Old 02-08-18, 01:22 PM
  #7  
HillRider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 33,462

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 904 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
A little off topic but ... there is absolutely no reason to have pedals on so tight they require anything unusual to remove. Their thread directions are chosen so they self tighten as you ride. In the rare case where the pedal bearings freeze up, a not so tight pedal thread means the pedal cleated to your foot will unscrew instead of rotating you. (Pedal wrenches are as big as they are so shop mechanics can deal with someone else's over-tightening, no so they can honk the pedal on that tight o though some of them do.)

I used to tighten my pedals fairly tight. Now a 6" wrench is plenty. A real bonus with pedal removal/swapping becoming an everyday occurrence instead every few years. Heck, now we take pedals off just to weigh our bikes!

Ben
The above is excellent advice. There is absolutely no reason to tighten pedals so much they require huge leverage or impact to remove. Grease the threads to prevent corrosion and just tighten them good a snug. Remember, a lot of current pedals don't even have 15 mm wrench flats but use a 6 mm or 8 mm hex on the inboard side of the axle. You can't super tighten these or loosen a ridiculously tight pedal with those Allen wrenches, even long handle one or an Allen bit in a ratchet and you shouldn't need to.

Note to the OP: The 32/36 headset wrench is more likely to be the most useful. However, threaded headsets and forks are becoming increasing rare and 1-1/8" threaded headsets were never been made in great numbers. Threadless forks and headsets have become almost universal standards on bikes since the late '90's. So, unless you are working on a fleet of older bikes, don't splurge on the headset wrench.
HillRider is offline  
Old 02-08-18, 09:18 PM
  #8  
xenologer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,589
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
...1-1/8" threaded headsets were never been made in great numbers...
They're ridiculously common today on inexpensive hybrid/comfort bikes in the 200-400$ range. About 90% of the stock at the shop I work at falls into that category.

cheaper (walmart) bikes, 1" threaded
while more expensive (real) bikes, 1 1/8" threadless

but right in the middle, 1 1/8" threaded persists.

Of course, good odds most of the demographic on this forum doesn't ride bikes in that range.... but for casual riders its very common
xenologer is offline  
Old 02-08-18, 09:28 PM
  #9  
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 21,320

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24261 Post(s)
Liked 7,953 Times in 5,576 Posts
.
...Park makes several headset wrenches, and they might all be OK now. But in the past I have had some complaints about the precision with which they have been cut to size. This is old experience, and I haven't bought a headset wrench in many years.
3alarmer is online now  
Old 02-08-18, 10:01 PM
  #10  
HillRider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 33,462

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 904 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer View Post
They're ridiculously common today on inexpensive hybrid/comfort bikes in the 200-400$ range. About 90% of the stock at the shop I work at falls into that category........Of course, good odds most of the demographic on this forum doesn't ride bikes in that range.... but for casual riders its very common
Yeah, that's a good point. However, I also expect the demographic riding those bikes also doesn't repair or maintain their own bikes so the need for good threaded, particularly 1-1/8" threaded, headset wrenches is limited to bike shops and very few actual owners.

The OP didn't say but if he works at a Bike Co-op or something similar he may indeed need good threaded headset wrenches.
HillRider is offline  
Old 02-08-18, 11:02 PM
  #11  
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Posts: 30,225

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 358 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism View Post
You did not mention the length of the 15mm wrench you have. Assuming it is a common combination with a box 15 on one end and an 15 open on the other, you may not have met your match in the leverage wars when removing pedals. Good for you if that's the case. You may be stronger than the rest of us. A long 15, such as the Park 32/15, can be very handy when a pedal is reluctant to break loose.
Also, depending on the pedals, some require a skinnier than typical 15 mm open end wrench.
The 36 mm headset wrench sounds more useful than it probably is because 1 1/8 threaded headsets weren't popular for very long.
__________________
My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.
Retro Grouch is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Dana Shifflett
Classic & Vintage
19
04-09-18 04:50 AM
joedab
Bicycle Mechanics
20
09-06-17 08:44 PM
Duane Behrens
Bicycle Mechanics
5
09-29-14 06:52 PM
cal_gundert05
Bicycle Mechanics
23
02-07-11 01:32 PM
kmcrawford111
Bicycle Mechanics
24
02-12-10 08:13 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.