Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/)
-   -   FSA crank compatibility (https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/1137300-fsa-crank-compatibility.html)

Bikewer 03-03-18 10:30 AM

FSA crank compatibility
 
A friend bought a 2006 Specialized Roubaix Comp. This has the FSA external-bearing crankset (triple) and the right crankarm has the pedal threads stripped.
I understand these carbon crank-arms are not repairable with bushings or helicoils...

So likely hell need a new crankset and I doubt I can find a used one for a bike this old. Are any more contemporary cranks compatible with the external-bearing BB?

If necessary, can I just install a conventional taper-spindle BB?

Marcus_Ti 03-03-18 10:43 AM

Which exact FSA ext-bearing BB does he have? Spindle diameter and width is what we need to know. I'm guessing a 24mm

Being a 2006 it'll probably by English threaded....so tons of options if you replace the BB. Presuming my "probably" is true. Taper or external (Hollowtech, MegaExo, BB386EVO etc)--although you'll need NOS probably for the external cranks as triples ceased being sold on road cranks after 10spd.

SkyDog75 03-03-18 12:39 PM


Originally Posted by Bikewer (Post 20202540)
So likely hell need a new crankset and I doubt I can find a used one for a bike this old.

2006 isnt old. My main road bike is an 06 and Id have no problem finding new or used cranks for it today.

For that matter, its not much of a problem finding cranksets that would fit my older bikes, too. (My oldest was made in 1972.)


Originally Posted by Bikewer (Post 20202540)
Are any more contemporary cranks compatible with the external-bearing BB?

Lots of different cranksets use external bearings nowadays. Do any current models use the exact same external bearings? Maybe. Exactly what bearings do you have?

A more appropriate question, though, is what kind of bottom bracket shell does the frame have? When selecting a new crankset, just pick one that has a bottom bracket that can be mated to the frame. Buy both the crankset and bottom bracket, and problem solved.

(Many bottom bracket types are inexpensive.)


Originally Posted by Bikewer (Post 20202540)
If necessary, can I just install a conventional taper-spindle BB?

That depends on the frames bottom bracket shell type. English threaded? BB30? Something else?

Being a 2006, Id guess English threaded. If so, youve got TONS of options.

fietsbob 03-03-18 01:13 PM

Agree .. Normal threaded frame, get the whole package... potentially , priced like your new bearings are free..

bikeme 03-04-18 03:07 AM

FWIW, I had fit issues mixing a 24mm FSA crank with a 24mm Shimano external BB (BB-MT800)...the bike originally came with a FSA BB but I opted for the Shimano due to familiarity with its installation and performance. The FSA crank was tight going into and through it but it ended spinning fine.

T Stew 03-04-18 09:10 AM


Originally Posted by bikeme (Post 20203718)
FWIW, I had fit issues mixing a 24mm FSA crank with a 24mm Shimano external BB (BB-MT800)...the bike originally came with a FSA BB but I opted for the Shimano due to familiarity with its installation and performance. The FSA crank was tight going into and through it but it ended spinning fine.

Was it a carbon crankset? I had thought of sticking to one BB to cover a few different cranks (got a few dura ace BB9000 as they were cheap). Looked into FSA and lots of reports that their carbon 24mm cranks are slightly different than their alloy 24mm and apparently the alloy ones are more compatible with Shimano Hollowtech II BBs. But for 24mm I've stuck to Shimano so far so haven't got to try the FSA compatibility.

bikeme 03-04-18 11:54 AM


Originally Posted by T Stew (Post 20204010)
Was it a carbon crankset? I had thought of sticking to one BB to cover a few different cranks (got a few dura ace BB9000 as they were cheap). Looked into FSA and lots of reports that their carbon 24mm cranks are slightly different than their alloy 24mm and apparently the alloy ones are more compatible with Shimano Hollowtech II BBs. But for 24mm I've stuck to Shimano so far so haven't got to try the FSA compatibility.

Hi T, it is a 24mm alloy one--just a cheap one branded for Giant on a Liv/Giant mtb (my wife's). It was a booger to install--a few hits with a soft mallet to get it going until it stopped 5mm short of fully extending on the other side. My LBS suggested installing the arm which did indeed pull it through like butter (I'm not sure if that's normally needed). Spins great. Removing it later might be interesting, lol. I checked both BB and spindle with a caliper and the spindle was just a minute hair larger than the ID of the BB.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:15 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.