Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

1" fork options

Reply

Old 08-18-18, 11:53 PM
  #1  
amazinmets73
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
1" fork options

I'm planning to build a Serotta Colorado ti frame. The bike came equipped with an F3 fork. The max recommend tire clearance was 23mm, being that I desired to run 28mm+ I removed the fork and sold it.



My conundrum was that I had to locate a carbon (I'm not fond of the weight or aesthetics of steel) 1" fork which would accommodate 28mm (or, failing that 25mm). This proved no easy task as 1 1/8 is now industry standard.


Any leads for suitable forks?
amazinmets73 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-18, 12:34 AM
  #2  
cpach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 1,118

Bikes: Too many. Cannondale SuperSix, Trek Remedy 8, Trek Crossrip+ get the most ride time.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
The only higher end option that you can purchase new that I can think of WoundUp, which does have a steel steerer. These do have a great reputation and I'm pretty certain on those the caliper will set clearance more than the fork. Weight is 600-800g. Nashbar also makes a carbon 1" road for inexpensively. Need 1" Carbon Fork w/ Clearance for 28mm Tires indicates it'll probably work well.

Other than that you'll probably have to buy used/NOS and I don't have the background to recommend any particular models.
cpach is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-18, 07:52 AM
  #3  
amazinmets73
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I'm assuming this won't fit a 700c wheel?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KINESIS-650C-1-Inch-Carbon-Threadless-Bike-Fork-26-NEW-Softride-Old-Stock-/112922159023
amazinmets73 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-18, 08:36 AM
  #4  
Colnago Mixte
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Center of Central CA
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
I'm planning to build a Serotta Colorado ti frame. The bike came equipped with an F3 fork. The max recommend tire clearance was 23mm, being that I desired to run 28mm+ I removed the fork and sold it.



My conundrum was that I had to locate a carbon (I'm not fond of the weight or aesthetics of steel) 1" fork which would accommodate 28mm (or, failing that 25mm). This proved no easy task as 1 1/8 is now industry standard.


Any leads for suitable forks?
Is this 1" threaded or threadless?

I bought the threaded 1" Nashbar Carbon fork a while back, the $80 one. Put it on my Miyata fixed gear dirt road bike. The good news is that It will definitely fit 28's.

The bad news is the thing is close to the weight of a steel fork (my jaw dropped when I open the box and picked it up for the first time) and I'm not sure there even is any carbon fiber in this thing. I accidentally chipped the paint in several places and it's while it's got a nice painted CF pattern, it's solid aluminum under there as far as I could tell.

I felt cheated even for $80.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
512 2.jpg (432.2 KB, 169 views)
Colnago Mixte is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-18, 08:57 AM
  #5  
Crankycrank
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,232
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Ritchey Carbon Comp and I believe it takes a 28mm tire. https://planetcyclery.com/ritcheycompcarbonroadfork700cqr1-steererblack?
&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp15583&sc_intid=15583&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-YPL4q353AIVVbnACh1ZxQ6ZEAQYASABEgJqL_D_BwE


Tifosi . I know nothing about the quality of this or whether it takes a 28 tire but it is a 1" steerer. wiggle.com | Tifosi Carbon Road Bike Forks 1 Inch | Road Forks

Columbus Minimal. Only takes 25mm tires though. http://www.henryjames.com/minimal-ca...r-painted.html
Crankycrank is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-18, 09:45 AM
  #6  
jimc101
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,289
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
This proved no easy task as 1 1/8 is now industry standard.
1 1/8" is just about dead as well, most bikes are now tapered, which has become the standard for mainstream/mass market road, MTB and Gravel bikes, surprisingly for an industry which loves a multitude of standards, the steerer is one that they seem to have settled on.

One thing you haven't mentioned, is the frame, can this take 28mm tires? as these have only become common in the last couple of years, anything older than a 2016/7 bike may struggle with anything over 25mm, looking at images of the Serotta, thinking it may be tight.
jimc101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-18, 10:08 AM
  #7  
amazinmets73
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Originally Posted by jimc101 View Post
1 1/8" is just about dead as well, most bikes are now tapered, which has become the standard for mainstream/mass market road, MTB and Gravel bikes, surprisingly for an industry which loves a multitude of standards, the steerer is one that they seem to have settled on.

One thing you haven't mentioned, is the frame, can this take 28mm tires? as these have only become common in the last couple of years, anything older than a 2016/7 bike may struggle with anything over 25mm, looking at images of the Serotta, thinking it may be tight.
Yea, the frame is another issue... I have an 853 steel Lemond which I run 28s on with ample room to spare. When I purchased the Serotta I noticed the seatstays were significantly narrower and wondered whether it would even accommodate 28s. I figured worst comes to worst I could run 28s on the front tire (assuming I find a suitable fork!) and 25s on the rear.
amazinmets73 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-18, 11:12 AM
  #8  
jeffreythree
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: DFW
Posts: 215

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I have the Nashbar fork on a bike, and it is a bit of a porker. 700 grams or something I think? I also have a 500 gram Hylix (ebay) carbon fork with a carbon steerer here. It fits a 28mm, but with less room to spare under the bridge than the Nashbar. For reference that steel may not be that much heavier, a frame I just received has a 750 gram Tange Champion steel fork.
jeffreythree is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-18, 11:47 AM
  #9  
amazinmets73
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
The Hylix fork caught my attention early in my search. However, I was advised it was a poor option:

"I believe that you will NOT be happy with either CF fork that you suggested ...

A 7" threadless steerer may be too short for your frames ... by 2-to-3 inches ..."

For reference my frames are a 56cm Serotta and 57cm Lemond.

If the steerer isn't too short it certainly seems to be my best option based on the unsatisfactory reviews of the nashbar fork.
amazinmets73 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-18, 11:55 AM
  #10  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 36,813

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5396 Post(s)
Wound Up forks, ask for details there .. No They are not at Nashbar prices ,,
they are MUSA..

https://woundupcomposites.com/gravel...-grinder-fork/
fietsbob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-18, 12:18 PM
  #11  
amazinmets73
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Wound Up forks, ask for details there .. No They are not at Nashbar prices ,,
they are MUSA..

https://woundupcomposites.com/gravel...-grinder-fork/
Thanks for the option, but those forks far exceed my budget
amazinmets73 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-18, 12:27 PM
  #12  
amazinmets73
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kestrel-EMS...-/153136990886




https://www.ebay.com/itm/Road-Bike-C...-/332764513181
amazinmets73 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-18, 12:40 PM
  #13  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 36,813

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5396 Post(s)
a Serotta Colorado Ti frame, ain't cheap now you, because of that , want a chinese priced CF fork ?

know all the specs? crown race seat, to fork tip, and rake / offset ... to not change the steering ?

so what was that data on the fork you sold off ?

NB: longer blades will raise the head tube, to be less degrees,

you plan on seeking a different fork rake to compensate for that.. ?

or that does not matter.. ?
fietsbob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-18, 05:12 PM
  #14  
wsteve464
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Not sure where the 7 inch steerer came from, the one Hylix I looked at the steerer is 300mm long close to 12 inches

Hylix Road Bike Full Carbon Threadless Fork-1"(25.4mm)*700C-490g+Lower headset
wsteve464 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-18, 05:15 PM
  #15  
wsteve464
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
This might be an error but it is priced for $20 plus $10 shipping and has a 300mm steerer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hylix-Road-...MAAOSwsc5beTUU
wsteve464 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-18, 05:42 PM
  #16  
3alarmer
******
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 16,863

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12675 Post(s)
...you could contact the person who bought the fork and see if they want to buy the frame.
3alarmer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-18, 06:25 PM
  #17  
amazinmets73
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Originally Posted by wsteve464 View Post
This might be an error but it is priced for $20 plus $10 shipping and has a 300mm steerer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hylix-Road-...MAAOSwsc5beTUU
wow, that's unbeatable thanks for the link. I just bought 2
amazinmets73 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-18, 07:39 PM
  #18  
jeffreythree
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: DFW
Posts: 215

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Originally Posted by wsteve464 View Post
Not sure where the 7 inch steerer came from, the one Hylix I looked at the steerer is 300mm long close to 12 inches

Hylix Road Bike Full Carbon Threadless Fork-1"(25.4mm)*700C-490g+Lower headset
Same here, I just put mine on a frame and the steerer is about a foot long. The only thing I am not crazy about is the included lower headset bearing that has bevels for a one way fit, and may be hard to source a replacement in the future.
jeffreythree is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-18, 07:40 PM
  #19  
amazinmets73
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Found a fork on Craigslist which may work:

The stem has a 1" / 25 mm diameter.
-- The stem measures 8 1/16" or 204 mm from the top of the stem to the bottom of the lower bearing race.
-- The width between the fork legs at the bottom (whee the wheel goes) is 199 mm
-- The axle to crown measurement is 37 cm, take or leave a mm or two. Or,
-- It works with a 700 mm wheel, showing 1 cm or 1/2" of clearance above the top of the tire.
-- It was previously on a 56 cm road bike frame.
amazinmets73 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-18, 08:10 PM
  #20  
TallRider
Senior Member
 
TallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 4,417
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
a Serotta Colorado Ti frame, ain't cheap now you, because of that , want a chinese priced CF fork ?
know all the specs? crown race seat, to fork tip, and rake / offset ... to not change the steering ?
so what was that data on the fork you sold off ?
NB: longer blades will raise the head tube, to be less degrees,
you plan on seeking a different fork rake to compensate for that.. ?
or that does not matter.. ?
These are my thoughts exactly.
TallRider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-18, 09:28 PM
  #21  
amazinmets73
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TallRider View Post
These are my thoughts exactly.
didn't measure. Only have this picture:

https://ibb.co/nnhHv6
amazinmets73 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-18, 09:43 PM
  #22  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 36,813

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5396 Post(s)
you're boned.. pictures aint data.
fietsbob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-18, 10:56 PM
  #23  
TallRider
Senior Member
 
TallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 4,417
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
didn't measure. Only have this picture:
https://ibb.co/nnhHv6
Option 1: get in touch with the person who bought the fork from you
Option 2: if you have any very nice straight-from-the-side photos of the bike with original fork, you can do some approximate measures of angles and calculate other stuff from the photo
Option 3: measure the bike really carefully with some significant assumptions
Option 4: go to a framebuilder and get a nice steel fork, which may be your best bet anyway given the clearance you want
TallRider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-18, 11:42 PM
  #24  
amazinmets73
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TallRider View Post
Option 1: get in touch with the person who bought the fork from you
Option 2: if you have any very nice straight-from-the-side photos of the bike with original fork, you can do some approximate measures of angles and calculate other stuff from the photo
Option 3: measure the bike really carefully with some significant assumptions
Option 4: go to a framebuilder and get a nice steel fork, which may be your best bet anyway given the clearance you want

amazinmets73 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-18, 11:46 PM
  #25  
TallRider
Senior Member
 
TallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 4,417
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
I don't think this image is good enough for Option 2. For what I'm thinking, you'd need the full bike, and from far enough away (so the bike will be small, or shot with a zoom) that you aren't looking at parts of the bike from below and others from above.
TallRider is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service