Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Nexus 3 spd

Reply

Old 09-13-18, 12:47 PM
  #1  
AtNjineer
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Nexus 3 spd peddles lock

my three speed works for first and second gear but in third gear the peddles lock up not the wheels the bike keeps rolling but the peddles themselves lock up. I had to extend the push rod because I put the three speed wheels on a 7 spd schwinn with vertical dropouts. By the looks of it I thought the push rod would be short. So I screwed a small screw into the end of the push rod and cut off the screw head. Could it be pushing in too far?

Last edited by AtNjineer; 09-13-18 at 12:50 PM.
AtNjineer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-18, 02:09 PM
  #2  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 35,818

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5137 Post(s)
not an online solution.. where blind guessing helps..

ask visit at a bike shop where they can see it in person..
fietsbob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-18, 07:06 PM
  #3  
AtNjineer
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I am the bike shop lol automobile technicians and Mechanics have technical forums where they discuss things amongst each other. Why does this forum suck so bad
AtNjineer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-18, 07:10 PM
  #4  
AtNjineer
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
not an online solution.. where blind guessing helps..

ask visit at a bike shop where they can see it in person..
why waste your time here if you have no experience of the mechanical workings of a bike because your the ďsend it to the lbsĒ type of guy. Iím not. This thread is a call for help for anyone with first hand experience. If havenít had it and canít help keep it moving.
AtNjineer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-18, 10:11 PM
  #5  
Dan Burkhart 
Senior member
 
Dan Burkhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 6,905
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Originally Posted by AtNjineer View Post
my three speed works for first and second gear but in third gear the peddles lock up not the wheels the bike keeps rolling but the peddles themselves lock up. I had to extend the push rod because I put the three speed wheels on a 7 spd schwinn with vertical dropouts. By the looks of it I thought the push rod would be short. So I screwed a small screw into the end of the push rod and cut off the screw head. Could it be pushing in too far?
Extending the push rod is not a solution for adapting to a different dropout width. The push rod must extend 14mm beyond the end of the axle when inserted and resting against the stop. Any longer, and the shifting can't be adjusted to function properly.
Dan Burkhart is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-18, 10:30 AM
  #6  
Slaninar
Bike Gremlin
 
Slaninar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Novi Sad
Posts: 3,931

Bikes: Custom made on Scott Speedster frame, Custom made on a 1996. steel MTB frame (all but frame changed at least once in the past 20 years).

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
Extending the push rod is not a solution for adapting to a different dropout width. The push rod must extend 14mm beyond the end of the axle when inserted and resting against the stop. Any longer, and the shifting can't be adjusted to function properly.
This.

Although, more thinking out loud and guessing than correcting (pardon the Tarzan English):
If the OP somehow put the wheel in wider dropouts, compensating with spacers, the thing that pushes the pushrod might be positioned a bit further out relative to the axle center. If it can even be locked tightly/firmly in place, it would call for a bit longer pushrod.

Pushrod spring is to allow a "buffer" for trying to push/change gears without any pedal/sprocket motion. Spring gets loaded and as soon as the pedals are turned, the gear change is done (if it can't be done stationary). Without the spring, as long as one doesn't force gear changes, (properly) shortenet nail or spoke of appropriate diameter can be used in stead.
Slaninar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-18, 05:29 PM
  #7  
AtNjineer
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Slaninar View Post
This.

Although, more thinking out loud and guessing than correcting (pardon the Tarzan English):
If the OP somehow put the wheel in wider dropouts, compensating with spacers, the thing that pushes the pushrod might be positioned a bit further out relative to the axle center. If it can even be locked tightly/firmly in place, it would call for a bit longer pushrod.

Pushrod spring is to allow a "buffer" for trying to push/change gears without any pedal/sprocket motion. Spring gets loaded and as soon as the pedals are turned, the gear change is done (if it can't be done stationary). Without the spring, as long as one doesn't force gear changes, (properly) shortenet nail or spoke of appropriate diameter can be used in stead.
right on the money! Yes the lever mechanism for the push rod is fastened tightly. Iíll post pictures today
AtNjineer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-18, 06:43 AM
  #8  
gate28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
There are two lengths of pushrod depending on the model of nexus 3 speed. I once had a bike that came with a nexus 3 speed and had the wrong one - only worked in two gears until I made it shorter.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130926...od%20chart.pdf

Last edited by gate28; 09-20-18 at 06:52 AM.
gate28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-18, 06:50 AM
  #9  
gate28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Slaninar View Post
This.

Although, more thinking out loud and guessing than correcting (pardon the Tarzan English):
If the OP somehow put the wheel in wider dropouts, compensating with spacers, the thing that pushes the pushrod might be positioned a bit further out relative to the axle center. If it can even be locked tightly/firmly in place, it would call for a bit longer pushrod.

Pushrod spring is to allow a "buffer" for trying to push/change gears without any pedal/sprocket motion. Spring gets loaded and as soon as the pedals are turned, the gear change is done (if it can't be done stationary). Without the spring, as long as one doesn't force gear changes, (properly) shortenet nail or spoke of appropriate diameter can be used in stead.
Pushrod 'spring' doesn't act a buffer. It's to hold oil and so if left standing the rod doesn't rust tight in the axle.
Here are the parts
There are two lengths of push rods / pushrods
for this IGH Internally Internal Geared Hub I.G.H.

1) 168mm axle is 81.85mm Shimano Part #Y 33R 98080
2) 175mm axle brake hub Shimano Part #Y 33S 98190

I had the longer one and just cut it down to the correct length.
gate28 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service