Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chainstay removal

Reply

Old 10-31-18, 10:31 PM
  #1  
Lister
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Lister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Chainstay removal

I'm wanting to replace the chainstay bearings in my 2013 Trek Slash 8 but can't see how to remove the spindle. On the left side is a 10mm allen head, beneath a cover which I have removed, on the right there is no device for securing the spindle; no hex head, allen or phillips head. I can easily rotate the allen head on the left side but the spindle rotates with it.
Lister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-18, 11:27 PM
  #2  
alcjphil
Senior Member
 
alcjphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 2,736
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Chainstays do not have bearings. What crankset does your bike have?
alcjphil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-18, 03:15 AM
  #3  
dabac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,807
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Originally Posted by alcjphil View Post
Chainstays do not have bearings.
Trek Slash 8 is a full-suspension MTB. It has a fully articulated rear triangle. Plenty of bearings in there.https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...ash-8/p/24328/
dabac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-18, 03:28 AM
  #4  
dabac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,807
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Lister View Post
I'm wanting to replace the chainstay bearings in my 2013 Trek Slash 8 but can't see how to remove the spindle. On the left side is a 10mm allen head, beneath a cover which I have removed, on the right there is no device for securing the spindle; no hex head, allen or phillips head. I can easily rotate the allen head on the left side but the spindle rotates with it.
Should be an answer to that here:https://www.sram.com/sites/default/f...m_brackets.pdf

That's for the crankset that's spec:ed for a 2013 Trek Slash 8. If that doesn't help, you have to determine what crankset you have first.
There are plenty of cranksets these days where the bb axle is permanently bonded to one of the crank arms. So basic disassembly is to pull the removable arm off, then the axle and remaining arm goes out as one piece. Arms are - to varying degree - press fit and may need a puller to come off.
dabac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-18, 10:28 AM
  #5  
alcjphil
Senior Member
 
alcjphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 2,736
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Originally Posted by dabac View Post
Trek Slash 8 is a full-suspension MTB. It has a fully articulated rear triangle. Plenty of bearings in there.https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...ash-8/p/24328/
You are correct of course. No idea what I was thinking. The mention of a spindle seems to have confused me
alcjphil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-18, 11:01 AM
  #6  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 36,897

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5417 Post(s)
in over your head?

You ask your Trek dealer to help yet,? I'm not there.. to see anything..

you own all the tools mentioned on page 2 of the above sram link?

They should, if they sell those bikes..






....

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-01-18 at 11:06 AM.
fietsbob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-18, 01:47 PM
  #7  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 4,465

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
http://www.trekbikes.com.ua/doctrek/...n_diagrams.pdf
dedhed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-18, 07:54 PM
  #8  
Lister
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Lister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Originally Posted by alcjphil View Post
You are correct of course. No idea what I was thinking. The mention of a spindle seems to have confused me
I'm quite new to the whole mtb thing and am still grappling with terminology, in my own estimation it's a swingarm but I never see, or hear, that being referenced. I made a short mp4 to illustrate the issue but couldn't include that so I created a couple of jpeg's from the mp4, not allowed to use them either (sigh). The swingarm (help!) pivots in the seat tube some 2" - 3" above the bb.

Last edited by Lister; 11-04-18 at 05:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Lister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-18, 08:12 PM
  #9  
Lister
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Lister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
You ask your Trek dealer to help yet,? I'm not there.. to see anything..

you own all the tools mentioned on page 2 of the above sram link?

They should, if they sell those bikes..

It's not the crankset that's the issue, I'm still learning mtb terminology and what I described is confusing, my apologies, it's the lower part of the suspension triangle (swingarm??) pivoting in the seat tube just above the bb. I could certainly just take the bike to a dealer but was hoping to do the work myself, so, yes, in over my head but waving!
Lister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-18, 08:55 PM
  #10  
Bozock
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Lister,

Sorry you know who I am so just get a motorcycle and come over for Pizza .... it's too confusing ...
IF you reply to this and get your post count up to 10 you should be able to put up that video so people can see the issue your are having.

Last edited by Bozock; 11-01-18 at 09:00 PM.
Bozock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-18, 09:10 PM
  #11  
Bozock
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Lister View Post
10 posts required? this is 4
This is 2 or 3 for me ...
Bozock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-18, 09:17 PM
  #12  
Bozock
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The requirement for waiting for posts is standard It is just a sensible security process to make people wait and prevent spamming of forums ... I think the members here can wait until you can upload pictures and then will know what the part looks like.
Apologies to all assisting with this for the post guff on this thread - This is a genuine question to the more knowledgeable among you just assisting my friend in using forums.
Bozock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-18, 11:11 AM
  #13  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 36,897

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5417 Post(s)
Show/list, how many tools you have and your shop space,
You may not have what you need.


as I was suggesting in 6th post.

want to buy more tools to use once?






...
fietsbob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-18, 05:38 PM
  #14  
trailangel
Senior Member
 
trailangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 3,175

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
I'm not a mechanic but I play one on the internet. Looks from Dedhed's posted diagrams, there is a hollow bolt within a hollow bolt put together with medium strength threadlocker. I would heat the thing up with a soldering iron and wrap a screwdriver with an old inner tube and jam it on the side without hex. Then try to unscrew the thing.
trailangel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-18, 05:38 PM
  #15  
Lister
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Lister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm finally able to post my URL, Here is the issue.
Lister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-18, 08:02 PM
  #16  
Lister
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Lister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
I'm not a mechanic but I play one on the internet. Looks from Dedhed's posted diagrams, there is a hollow bolt within a hollow bolt put together with medium strength threadlocker. I would heat the thing up with a soldering iron and wrap a screwdriver with an old inner tube and jam it on the side without hex. Then try to unscrew the thing.
Thanks Trailangel, just looking over those diagrams it seems that's the only solution, I'll give it a shot. As an aside, I went through all the tools listed on Trek's website (16 pages!) and couldn't find a special tool for this job. The torque setting for the 10 mm is 25 ft-lb so the tube wrapped screwdriver will have its work cut out! I'm also thinking of a rubber sleeve fitted over a small diameter bolt held in place with a nut and washer and fitting that assembly into the spindle and, somehow, tightening the nut to expand the rubber sleeve to lock it in place; surely the factory has a simpler option??
Lister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-18, 11:17 AM
  #17  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 4,465

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Any chance you can get a C clamp on there with a small block of wood or rubber to hold it and still access the Allen on the other side?
dedhed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-18, 12:09 PM
  #18  
trailangel
Senior Member
 
trailangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 3,175

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
That might work. When I searched the internet for this problem I found 2 others with the same question, but no resolution.
trailangel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-18, 12:13 PM
  #19  
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered
 
WizardOfBoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Eastern PA, USA
Posts: 1,477

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
Any chance you can get a C clamp on there with a small block of wood or rubber to hold it and still access the Allen on the other side?
kind of the same idea: if you can find a close-fitting dowel, insert it in the non-hex side, and pull it radially (so you are bending the dowel slightly, and so that the torque on the inserted part of the dowle is really wrenching the id and creating friction), you may get enough purchase.

Else you could use a something like a pipe nipple wrench if you can find the right size. Gently does it so that you don't score the id.

WizardOfBoz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-18, 03:12 PM
  #20  
Asi
Engineer
 
Asi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bucharest, Romania, Europe
Posts: 589

Bikes: 1989 Krapf (with Dura-ace) road bike, 1973 Sputnik (made by XB3) road bike , 1961 Peugeot fixed gear, 2010 Trek 4400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I'd suggest some impact action from an air tool (or electric if decent). The impact action will generally loosen nuts even if the bolt is turning. I put shock* absorber nuts with an air tool where the whole shaft is turning inside and the special tool that grips the top end is nowhere to be found, but an air tool and some vice grips (with a thick clean rubber mat on the stanchion) works every time.
*on cars, plenty strong.

So in your case, a light duty impact driver while holding some rubber pressed on the end can work that thing loose. - but be aware that aluminium is soft, but in your favor, if the spindle spins it acts as a self limiting maximum force.. so i'd give it a go in short bursts.

Also on the cheap: wrap inner tube on an expanding bolt/stud for concrete. They are very cheap and found everywhere. just be gentle with the turns.. those things can warp the spindle bore, but with a soft touch and plenty of inner tube wrapped they can work a treat if you can fit one in. Idk about the bore diameter.
Also plastic anchors with an appropriate screw can provide plenty of grip with minimal damage as it's plastic against metal. - but the low friction of plastic is not the best here.. so wrap that in rubber as well.
Asi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 09:51 AM
  #21  
Lister
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Lister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
Any chance you can get a C clamp on there with a small block of wood or rubber to hold it and still access the Allen on the other side?
That's certainly the simplest option yet, the spindle will take huge internal pressure quite safely and I'd think enough to secure against 25 ft-lb's. I guess the only question is whether the wood sticking out the end of the spindle could be secured without splintering. Watch this space (as they say).
Lister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 09:59 AM
  #22  
trailangel
Senior Member
 
trailangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 3,175

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Are you turning this into a 6-pack job or what?
trailangel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 10:03 AM
  #23  
Lister
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Lister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Asi View Post
I'd suggest some impact action from an air tool (or electric if decent). The impact action will generally loosen nuts even if the bolt is turning. I put shock* absorber nuts with an air tool where the whole shaft is turning inside and the special tool that grips the top end is nowhere to be found, but an air tool and some vice grips (with a thick clean rubber mat on the stanchion) works every time.
*on cars, plenty strong.

So in your case, a light duty impact driver while holding some rubber pressed on the end can work that thing loose. - but be aware that aluminium is soft, but in your favor, if the spindle spins it acts as a self limiting maximum force.. so i'd give it a go in short bursts.

Also on the cheap: wrap inner tube on an expanding bolt/stud for concrete. They are very cheap and found everywhere. just be gentle with the turns.. those things can warp the spindle bore, but with a soft touch and plenty of inner tube wrapped they can work a treat if you can fit one in. Idk about the bore diameter.
Also plastic anchors with an appropriate screw can provide plenty of grip with minimal damage as it's plastic against metal. - but the low friction of plastic is not the best here.. so wrap that in rubber as well.
Thanks Asi, some excellent ideas here. As you said, the limiting factor here will be the ID measurement which I haven't checked but won't be bigger than 12 mm, so not much to work with.
Lister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 10:20 AM
  #24  
Lister
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Lister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
WizardOfBoz
The system wouldn't allow me to post a proper reply, I think, because of the attachment, even though I now have more than the prerequisite ten posts.
Haven't seen one of these before, I wouldn't mind betting that something along these lines is what the factory would use, I'll try something home made first but may well wind up getting one, thanks for the tip.

Last edited by Lister; 11-06-18 at 10:26 AM.
Lister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 10:32 AM
  #25  
Lister
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Lister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
Are you turning this into a 6-pack job or what?
I'm more of a scotch man, myself.
Lister is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service