Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What Tool for Late 1980s old school headset?

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What Tool for Late 1980s old school headset?

Reply

Old 01-05-19, 06:21 PM
  #1  
michaelm101
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 132

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Cannondale Flash 3 29er MTB, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Haanjo Metro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
What Tool for Late 1980s old school headset?

Late 1990's Mongoose Iboc Pro has old-school headset. 1) Are there any upgrade options? If not, 2) Where does one obtain the flat wrench that you need to hold the bottom nut while tightening the top one? Thanks in advance!
michaelm101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 06:28 PM
  #2  
Bill Kapaun
Senior Member
 
Bill Kapaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
Posts: 10,525

Bikes: 86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Park Tool sells bicycle specific tools.
Bill Kapaun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 06:34 PM
  #3  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 4,840

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (that will soon have DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
The J.A. Stein Headset Locknut Wrench in proper size for your top nut:
https://www.steintool.com/portfolio-...ocknut-wrench/
And a Park Tool HCW-7 also in proper size (They are dual sided so pick the size that makes sense for you) for your bottom nut.
https://www.parktool.com/product/headset-wrench-hcw-7

If your headset is 1" threaded then you can swap in a 1" threadless headset and fork (which can be harder to find especially for mountain) and if you have a 1 1/8" threaded headset you can swap in a 1 1/8 threadless headset and fork. I probably wouldn't replace anything unless it was worn out or broken. I would remove headset clean it and regrease it and put it back.
veganbikes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 07:23 PM
  #4  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 4,633

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...eadset-service
dedhed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 10:26 PM
  #5  
SurferRosa
Senior Member
 
SurferRosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 166

Bikes: old school roadies

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Probably a 32mm wrench, like this park tool hcw15 for $16.

​​​​​​There are cheaper alternatives to park tool. Search ebay for "headset wrench 32" and filter the location to north america if you want it shipped soon.
SurferRosa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-19, 05:03 PM
  #6  
wesmamyke 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
The J.A. Stein Headset Locknut Wrench in proper size for your top nut:
https://www.steintool.com/portfolio-...ocknut-wrench/
And a Park Tool HCW-7 also in proper size (They are dual sided so pick the size that makes sense for you) for your bottom nut.
https://www.parktool.com/product/headset-wrench-hcw-7

If your headset is 1" threaded then you can swap in a 1" threadless headset and fork (which can be harder to find especially for mountain) and if you have a 1 1/8" threaded headset you can swap in a 1 1/8 threadless headset and fork. I probably wouldn't replace anything unless it was worn out or broken. I would remove headset clean it and regrease it and put it back.
The Stein wrenches are pretty much unobtainable, he hasn't made any in a very long time. Crazy pants ebay prices only if you want a set.

Edit: Some of those era mountain bikes actually use an odd headset wrench. Tioga oversized headsets have a 6 sided nut instead of 8 like normal. You can still get at them, but many wrenches don't work well.

Last edited by wesmamyke; 01-07-19 at 05:44 PM.
wesmamyke is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-19, 05:28 PM
  #7  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 38,228

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5836 Post(s)
Late 1990's Mongoose Iboc Pro has old-school headset
They did not make the headset , only bought a lot of them .. so IDK what you have.. Picture link?

1" headsets use a 32mm open end wrench, 1 .125" use a 36mm headset wrenches are 1/8" (0.125") Thick..
fietsbob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-19, 07:43 PM
  #8  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 4,840

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (that will soon have DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Originally Posted by wesmamyke View Post
The Stein wrenches are pretty much unobtainable, he hasn't made any in a very long time. Crazy pants ebay prices only if you want a set.

Edit: Some of those era mountain bikes actually use an odd headset wrench. Tioga oversized headsets have a 6 sided nut instead of 8 like normal. You can still get at them, but many wrenches don't work well.
I just reached out to him because I work at a shop and he didn't say anything about not having any and gave me a price list.
veganbikes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-19, 10:10 PM
  #9  
wesmamyke 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
I just reached out to him because I work at a shop and he didn't say anything about not having any and gave me a price list.
That would be nice if you could still order them, maybe nobody has? Bike tools etc. doesn't even list them in the catalog anymore if I recall.
wesmamyke is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-19, 09:44 PM
  #10  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 4,840

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (that will soon have DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Originally Posted by wesmamyke View Post
That would be nice if you could still order them, maybe nobody has? Bike tools etc. doesn't even list them in the catalog anymore if I recall.
It is on his website but maybe he doesn't sell a whole ton these days with these new-fangled headsets without threads...LOL
veganbikes is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service