Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/)
-   -   Hydraulic Brake Hose - Reuse or Replace? (https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/1170554-hydraulic-brake-hose-reuse-replace.html)

TimothyH 04-14-19 08:41 AM

Hydraulic Brake Hose - Reuse or Replace?
 
Brakes are Shimano levers, calipers and hoses. I'm going to replace the Shimano calipers with Hope. Fluid type will not change - it will still be mineral oil.

Can the hoses be reused or should I plan on routing new, replacement hoses?


-Tim-

jimc101 04-14-19 11:31 AM

Will these even work, they use the same type of mineral oil (possibly not the same spec), but will the Shimano lever push enough for the Hope Caliper (on the basis this isn't the RX4 as you have given no specifics)

Also, Shimano hose comes in different versions, BH59 and BH90, do you know which/if it would be compatible with the Hope caliper?

TimothyH 04-14-19 02:46 PM

Hope calipers come with fittings. The bike has BH59 hoses.

I'm asking if the hoses themselves can be reused, completely apart from any fitment or compatibility issues;.

Do people generally reuse the hoses or are they assemble once and then replaced after disassembly or ends cut off?


-Tim-

DrIsotope 04-14-19 02:51 PM

So long as they're mechanically sound, and still long enough after you change out the Shimano caliper-end fittings with the Hope fittings, there's absolutely no need to change the hoses themselves.

dedhed 04-14-19 04:46 PM

If everything is compatible and in good condition I wouldn't change it.

I wouldn't buy a new brake hose on a car if I was replacing a caliper unless it needed it, why would I on a bike?

jimc101 04-14-19 11:02 PM


Originally Posted by dedhed (Post 20884635)
I wouldn't buy a new brake hose on a car if I was replacing a caliper unless it needed it, why would I on a bike?

Because every bike component company has different incompatible specs, even down to the seating for olives and hose bores, there are standards for bike parts, just everyone has a different one.

dsaul 04-15-19 05:01 AM

For those that don't know, Hope makes replacement calipers that are specific to either Shimano or SRAM brakes. There should not be any compatibility issues between the caliper and hose and no reason to replace the original hose.

jimc101 04-15-19 11:08 AM


Originally Posted by dsaul (Post 20885197)
For those that don't know, Hope makes replacement calipers that are specific to either Shimano or SRAM brakes. There should not be any compatibility issues between the caliper and hose and no reason to replace the original hose.


For Hope making replacement cross compatible caliper, they only do one, the RX4 (as previously mentioned), but we still don't really know what the OP is doing.

Given the OP still hasn't given any specifics on what they are planning to use, and on the basis that it's not RX4 calipers, found this post (it's the reverse (Hope levers/Shimano caliper)) someone contacted Hope, and the answer was no, which should still stand https://singletrackworld.com/forum/t...th-xt-caliper/

enveous 04-15-19 11:37 AM


Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20885678)
got Shimano want Hope (brand) ? buy it all , no half mix & mismatch ..

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...14edfe52a8.png

Hope does not make a complete road brake set so there is no option to "buy it all."

Hope does make road calipers that replace the stock Shimano/SRAM units, which is what informed folks are discussing.

enveous 04-15-19 11:42 AM


Originally Posted by jimc101 (Post 20885701)
but we still don't really know what the OP is doing.

Given the OP still hasn't given any specifics on what they are planning to use

Now you know.

https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...gut-check.html

dsaul 04-15-19 11:46 AM


Originally Posted by jimc101 (Post 20885701)
For Hope making replacement cross compatible caliper, they only do one, the RX4 (as previously mentioned), but we still don't really know what the OP is doing.

Given the OP still hasn't given any specifics on what they are planning to use, and on the basis that it's not RX4 calipers, found this post (it's the reverse (Hope levers/Shimano caliper)) someone contacted Hope, and the answer was no, which should still stand https://singletrackworld.com/forum/t...th-xt-caliper/

I know the OP hasn't made it clear here, but he has a thread in Cyclocross and Gravel Biking that indicates that he has purchased RX4 calipers.

pdlamb 04-15-19 12:13 PM

Will the hoses be long enough after cutting off the fittings?

enveous 04-15-19 02:33 PM


Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20885939)
SO?? Leave the shimano brakes as is.. doubt you will gain a perceptible thing but create a bunch of unnecessary bother..

What is the basis for your opinion?

TimothyH 04-15-19 03:21 PM

:lol:

You guys are amazing.

I have Shimano BR-RS805 calipers with Shimano ST-R785RL hydraulic Di2 levers. I'm changing the calipers to Hope RX4. Why is my own business.

The Hope calipers use Shimano mineral oil fluid. Fluid compatibility is not my concern but feel free to argue about it if it makes you happy.

My specific concern is disassembly and reassembly of the fittings at the caliper. I do not intend to cut off the fittings and would do so if the hoses were long enough, but they are not. I intend to remove the fittings from the hose and reuse the hose as is.

It is not a banjo type fitting. It is an insert, olive and 8mm(ish) hydraulic hose fitting.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...14e41eb2d0.jpg


Does installing the insert, olive and fitting on the end of the hose compress the hose or deform it in such a way as to render it unusable a second time? If the fittings on the hose are assembled and disassembled, can new fittings be placed on the same hose end a second time and expected to reliably hold pressure and not leak?

By the way, @DrIsotope. Thank you. :)


-Tim-

jimc101 04-15-19 03:31 PM


Originally Posted by enveous (Post 20886040)
What is the basis for your opinion?

Got to agree with fiestbob, realistically, all your going to gain is a bit of bling, if you have Shimano brakes, which the OP appears to have, as the RX4 are Post Mount, not Flat Mount, if performance is the aim, there are now plenty of Shimano 4 pot caliper options, which would be a very simple fit, as there would be no compatibility issues and greater performance than the stock 2 pot calipers.

TimothyH 04-15-19 03:38 PM


Originally Posted by jimc101 (Post 20886121)
the RX4 are Post Mount, not Flat Mount

No, they are flat mount.

https://www.hopetech.com/products/br...front-caliper/

https://www.hopetech.com/products/br...-rear-caliper/

Anyway, Hope is on your team Jim. They are manufactured within bike riding distance of West Yorkshire, in Barnoldswick. Maybe you could run up there and ask them for me. ;)


-Tim-

jimc101 04-15-19 03:49 PM


Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 20886127)
They are manufactured within bike riding distance of you Jim, in Barnoldswick. Take the A629 to Thorlby and turn left. ;)-Tim-

Into the badlands of Lancashire, got to be brave to do that.

TimothyH 04-15-19 04:03 PM


Originally Posted by jimc101 (Post 20886138)
Into the badlands of Lancashire, got to be brave to do that.

Let me know what they say.


-Tim-

enveous 04-15-19 04:25 PM


Originally Posted by jimc101 (Post 20886121)
Got to agree with fiestbob, realistically, all your going to gain is a bit of bling, if you have Shimano brakes, which the OP appears to have, as the RX4 are Post Mount, not Flat Mount, if performance is the aim, there are now plenty of Shimano 4 pot caliper options, which would be a very simple fit, as there would be no compatibility issues and greater performance than the stock 2 pot calipers.

Well, I can see why you would agree with fietsbob as it seems both of you are quite confused about what you are trying to post about.

Next time, you both could save yourselves by doing a simple web search. Knowledge is a wonderful basis for a discussion.

https://singletrackworld.com/gritcx/...han-six-pence/

jimc101 04-16-19 09:40 AM


Originally Posted by enveous (Post 20886176)
Well, I can see why you would agree with fietsbob as it seems both of you are quite confused about what you are trying to post about.

Next time, you both could save yourselves by doing a simple web search. Knowledge is a wonderful basis for a discussion.

https://singletrackworld.com/gritcx/...han-six-pence/

Dude, most of this was posted with very little to no useful info from the OP, my last (relevant) post was made almost at the same time as the OP came in with much more detailed info, which made alot of what everyone had said, including me pretty much irrelevant.

This is pretty normal on BF, that someone posts something, either with far to little info, or cross post throughout BF, with all the relevant info, but where generally most people will only see snippets.

Then at the end of it, we get people like you coming in saying that the people like myself and fietsbob are idiots (yes, you are saying that, not matter how you put it) when we and others have only given as much help a we could with the info provided.

Thank you for your positive and helpful comments throughout this thread.

enveous 04-16-19 10:39 AM


Originally Posted by jimc101 (Post 20887116)


Then at the end of it, we get people like you coming in saying that the people like myself and fietsbob are idiots


This thread currently has 23 posts. My first post was #11 . You are mischaracterizing what happened.


"fietsbob"'s contributions were not helpful. That lack of helpfullness resulted from a distinct lack of knowledge that wasn't dependent on whether the RX4 was called out in the first post, or not.


Thank you for your positive and helpful comments throughout this thread.

TimothyH 04-16-19 11:42 AM


Originally Posted by enveous (Post 20887205)
This thread currently has 23 posts.

And only three had anything to do with my actual question. :lol:


-Tim-

jimc101 04-16-19 03:29 PM


Originally Posted by enveous (Post 20887205)
This thread currently has 23 posts. My first post was #11 . You are mischaracterizing what happened.


"fietsbob"'s contributions were not helpful. That lack of helpfullness resulted from a distinct lack of knowledge that wasn't dependent on whether the RX4 was called out in the first post, or not.


Thank you for your positive and helpful comments throughout this thread.

And you prove my point, that this was a cross-posting mess. which has now devolved into a who can delete their post first, resulting in a thread which makes less and less sense and point; which the OP should take a good portion of the blame (I mentioned the RX4 in my first reply, and the OP failed confirmed this within this post at that time, which would have clarified everything subsequent), with yourself the rest (as you failed to see that I had already asked about the RX4, but with no reply in this thread).

Your SRSLY post was demeaning and unnecessary and to a point offensive to the other poster (who has deleted their posts), who posted in their normal manner, but after you 30 odd posts you wouldn't know that...

enveous 04-16-19 04:08 PM


Originally Posted by jimc101 (Post 20887672)
Your SRSLY post was demeaning and unnecessary and to a point offensive to the other poster (who has deleted their posts), who posted in their normal manner, but after you 30 odd posts you wouldn't know that...

Sharing the truth is demeaning? Correcting someone's erroneous posts is offensive?

That's nuts. As is fietsbob being embarrassed by his posts and deleting them. I've seen these nonsense outbursts by fietsbob and see no reason why his idle speculation shouldn't be corrected with facts.

p.s. I saw you mention the RX4, and I saw your subsequent erroneous claim that they were post mount. Much confusion and wringing of virtual hands about such a simple question.

jimc101 04-16-19 10:49 PM


Originally Posted by enveous (Post 20887724)
Sharing the truth is demeaning? Correcting someone's erroneous posts is offensive?

That's nuts. As is fietsbob being embarrassed by his posts and deleting them. I've seen these nonsense outbursts by fietsbob and see no reason why his idle speculation shouldn't be corrected with facts.

p.s. I saw you mention the RX4, and I saw your subsequent erroneous claim that they were post mount. Much confusion and wringing of virtual hands about such a simple question.

No. it's the way you said it, with the image, that was offensive. For my post about the PM vs FM, and being erroneous (your using big words now!) assumptions often have to be made with the infomation or lack of that is often supplied, they make both, the OP had failed to say which they were using, and when moving brake type, PM is still the most common for aftermarket calipers.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:28 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.