Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Record Carbon Crankset Faillure

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Campagnolo Record Carbon Crankset Faillure

Old 06-19-19, 05:00 AM
  #1  
3rg0
Member
Thread Starter
 
3rg0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campagnolo Record Carbon Crankset Failure

Hola,

I have a big problem with my Campy crankset...the alloy part (the one from BB) in the left arm has unglued from the carbon frame of the arm and now it moves. I don't know why..I didn't hit it or smth...can I repair this with rivets? Thank you!
3rg0 is offline  
Old 06-19-19, 05:22 AM
  #2  
nomadmax 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 47 Posts
I'm no carbon expert but if that happened to me, that crank would be trash.
nomadmax is offline  
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 06-19-19, 05:55 AM
  #3  
rhenning
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,259
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It is at this point a pretty piece of junk. Roger
rhenning is offline  
Likes For rhenning:
Old 06-19-19, 06:32 AM
  #4  
3rg0
Member
Thread Starter
 
3rg0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It won't move whole 360 degrees, it's still rideable, but it moves like one mm and it make some sounds... I love this crank so much...WHY GOOOOD WHYYYY??? ((((
3rg0 is offline  
Old 06-19-19, 06:45 AM
  #5  
wgscott
Occam's Rotor
 
wgscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The Timbers of Fennario (CL77)
Posts: 4,898

Bikes: Steel

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 130 Posts
Try glue. You have nothing to lose (except maybe your life when the thing catastrophically fails).

It was glued in there to begin with.

Some stuff really ought to be made out of metal.
wgscott is offline  
Old 06-19-19, 06:55 AM
  #6  
3rg0
Member
Thread Starter
 
3rg0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
["Mission Impossible" theme song playing]

My plan is to use rivets or screws (i have to drill holes in carbon material to reach the aluminium) so in this way i can pump some strong glue inside and fix the alloy with rivets or screws...Did i have a chance? I have nothing to lose now )

3rg0 is offline  
Old 06-19-19, 06:56 AM
  #7  
Leebo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 5,431

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Contact Campy?
Leebo is offline  
Likes For Leebo:
Old 06-19-19, 07:00 AM
  #8  
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 31,491

Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 21 Times in 20 Posts
How old is this crank? I assume several years since it's a square taper. Try contacting Campagnolo-USA and see if they will warranty it with a repair or replacement.

I agree with the others, I wouldn't ride it. It's only going to get worse and eventually fail completely and you don't want to be riding it when that happens. If the factory bond didn't hold, rivets won't either.
HillRider is online now  
Likes For HillRider:
Old 06-19-19, 07:05 AM
  #9  
3rg0
Member
Thread Starter
 
3rg0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I brought it second handed 2 years ago...is the 2002 model...so...I belive that's the normal lifespan..so no need to contact Campy...they will say the same...I must admit it...it died
3rg0 is offline  
Old 06-19-19, 07:52 AM
  #10  
dsbrantjr
Senior Member
 
dsbrantjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 6,231

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 46 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
Try glue. You have nothing to lose (except maybe your life when the thing catastrophically fails).

It was glued in there to begin with.

Some stuff really ought to be made out of metal.
+100 I hope that the OP's frame joints do not come unglued as well. :-(
dsbrantjr is offline  
Old 06-19-19, 08:22 AM
  #11  
Bandera 
~>~
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 5,806
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
Some stuff really ought to be made out of metal.
It's not 1969 anymore, fortunately.

Hardware, especially lightweight equipment designed for racing, fails in service at some point and needs to be replaced.
Remember the Campag drive-side crank-arms cracking back when? I do, and they were "metal".

Buying at the leading edge of tech gets you the privilege of having "cool stuff" and being a Beta tester.
Buying "second handed" once leading edge tech gets you someone else's problem and obsolescence.

-Bandera
__________________
'74 Raleigh Internat'l. '77 Trek TX900 FG. '90 Vitus 979. '10 Merckx EMX3. '13 Soma Stanyan

Last edited by Bandera; 06-19-19 at 08:42 AM.
Bandera is online now  
Likes For Bandera:
Old 06-19-19, 08:34 AM
  #12  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,928

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6833 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 215 Times in 179 Posts
Buy new cranks and get cold forged aluminum ones this time..

Get the Record Track crankset ,,,since it looks like you're probably a fixie rider...









....

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-19-19 at 12:46 PM.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 06-19-19, 09:06 AM
  #13  
biker222
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
It's not 1969 anymore, fortunately.

Hardware, especially lightweight equipment designed for racing, fails in service at some point and needs to be replaced.
Remember the Campag drive-side crank-arms cracking back when? I do, and they were "metal".

Buying at the leading edge of tech gets you the privilege of having "cool stuff" and being a Beta tester.
Buying "second handed" once leading edge tech gets you someone else's problem and obsolescence.

-Bandera
Even the Campy Record non drive arm had failures.

This was sliced for analysis in an electron microscope and failure pointed to the concave machining on opposite side during manufacturing to cause stress fracture.
biker222 is offline  
Likes For biker222:
Old 06-19-19, 09:21 AM
  #14  
Bandera 
~>~
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 5,806
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 38 Posts
Even the Campy Record non drive arm had failures.
Clearly we are not viewing these failures in service in the correct reverent C&V Luddite revisionist rose-tinted view of old tech which being "metal" and made by Campagnolo was both a Holy Icon and Indestructible. Heresy to say otherwise, worth a visit from the Period Correct Inquisition for posting that heretical pic.

-Bandera
__________________
'74 Raleigh Internat'l. '77 Trek TX900 FG. '90 Vitus 979. '10 Merckx EMX3. '13 Soma Stanyan
Bandera is online now  
Likes For Bandera:
Old 06-19-19, 09:34 AM
  #15  
3alarmer
******
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 17,274

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14537 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by 3rg0 View Post
It won't move whole 360 degrees, it's still rideable, but it moves like one mm and it make some sounds... I love this crank so much...WHY GOOOOD WHYYYY??? ((((
Originally Posted by God
Because it's made from plastic.
...
3alarmer is offline  
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 06-19-19, 09:38 AM
  #16  
3alarmer
******
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 17,274

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14537 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by 3rg0 View Post
["Mission Impossible" theme song playing]

My plan is to use rivets or screws (i have to drill holes in carbon material to reach the aluminium) so in this way i can pump some strong glue inside and fix the alloy with rivets or screws...Did i have a chance? I have nothing to lose now )

...that's a reasonable plan. I just have to wonder if you've ever busted a crank arm while you were standing up on the pedals. I'ts a very spectacular experience, and often leads to a comedic ending for everyone except the the rider. YOur estimate of what you have to lose ought to include your gonads.
3alarmer is offline  
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 06-19-19, 09:56 AM
  #17  
AnkleWork
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Llano Estacado
Posts: 3,327

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
...that's a reasonable plan. I just have to wonder if you've ever busted a crank arm while you were standing up on the pedals. I'ts a very spectacular experience, and often leads to a comedic ending for everyone except the the rider. YOur estimate of what you have to lose ought to include your gonads.
+1 And teeth.

OP: Racing and pseudo-racing parts have limited life and are disposable. You paid extra for that. Your plan weakens the crank arm at the worst possible place -- please reconsider.
AnkleWork is offline  
Likes For AnkleWork:
Old 06-19-19, 10:28 AM
  #18  
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member
 
Wilfred Laurier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,288
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 44 Posts
This rivet-or-screw plan sounds stupid - the area you indicate you intend to drill and put fasteners is probably the most highly stressed area of the part, and drilling will remove material and therefore strength.. Check ebay for a replacement left arm, or buy a new crankset.

There are a lot of equipment failures that you can happily walk away from. A broken crankarm is generally not one of them.
Wilfred Laurier is offline  
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 06-19-19, 11:10 AM
  #19  
fronesis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
To the OP: please buy a new crank.

I know that nearly 20 years ago that was a really nice carbon campy crank and it has "Record" printed on it, but it's not safe to ride it now – and you can easily replace it with a very nice, highly functional crank, without spending much money.
fronesis is offline  
Likes For fronesis:
Old 06-19-19, 11:32 AM
  #20  
AnkleWork
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Llano Estacado
Posts: 3,327

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
THIS!:
Originally Posted by fronesis View Post
To the OP: please buy a new crank.

I know that nearly 20 years ago that was a really nice carbon campy crank and it has "Record" printed on it, but it's not safe to ride it now – and you can easily replace it with a very nice, highly functional crank, without spending much money.

Originally Posted by 3rg0 View Post
I love this crank so much...WHY GOOOOD WHYYYY??? ((((
OP: It's time to fall out of love. You can keep the crank, admire it, caress it, just don't ride it.
AnkleWork is offline  
Old 06-19-19, 12:01 PM
  #21  
3rg0
Member
Thread Starter
 
3rg0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork View Post
THIS!:





OP: It's time to fall out of love. You can keep the crank, admire it, caress it, just don't ride it.
That's exactly what I'm going to do! Time for a new crank...I have 3 bicycles so there is no hurry
3rg0 is offline  
Old 06-19-19, 12:05 PM
  #22  
3rg0
Member
Thread Starter
 
3rg0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier View Post
This rivet-or-screw plan sounds stupid - the area you indicate you intend to drill and put fasteners is probably the most highly stressed area of the part, and drilling will remove material and therefore strength.. Check ebay for a replacement left arm, or buy a new crankset.

There are a lot of equipment failures that you can happily walk away from. A broken crankarm is generally not one of them.
You are perfectly right...I'm no engenieer but yeah...I was so upset that many "not-too-briliant-plans" have come up in my head...I will buy a new one
3rg0 is offline  
Old 06-19-19, 12:06 PM
  #23  
3rg0
Member
Thread Starter
 
3rg0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
...that's a reasonable plan. I just have to wonder if you've ever busted a crank arm while you were standing up on the pedals. I'ts a very spectacular experience, and often leads to a comedic ending for everyone except the the rider. YOur estimate of what you have to lose ought to include your gonads.
Yeah...the "cohones" will be no more))
3rg0 is offline  
Old 06-19-19, 12:08 PM
  #24  
3rg0
Member
Thread Starter
 
3rg0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Buy new cranks and get cold forged aluminum ones this time..
Yeah I know but with a muffed carbon frame ..nope..
3rg0 is offline  
Old 06-19-19, 12:40 PM
  #25  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,928

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6833 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 215 Times in 179 Posts
current campagnolo cranks are no longer square taper https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en

Maybe you can mail, yours to an authorized Campagnolo service center ??

5431 Avenida Encinas, Suite C ,
, Carlsbad California, 92008 ..

They will say if its repairable. and how much $$ it is, if they were approved to try..









...

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-20-19 at 10:43 AM.
fietsbob is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.