Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/)
-   -   SPD pedal question (https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/1177977-spd-pedal-question.html)

moto367 07-10-19 08:08 PM

SPD pedal question
 
So I had a pair of Shimano road pedals given to me. PD-A515 is stamped on the cleat part of the pedal. I'm trying to find cleats for these pedals. I was under the assumption all spd cleats were compatible but I'm not really sure. Any help on what cleats I need is appreciated. I've always used eggbeaters (even on my road bikes) but thought I'd give these a try. Thanks

DrIsotope 07-10-19 08:42 PM

Those pedals are old enough to vote. But they're still SPD, so you can use SM-SH51. When the A515 were being made, they also had the SH-SM55 multi-release cleats, but those were phased out ages ago. No idea if the current SM-SH56 will work.

moto367 07-10-19 08:55 PM


Originally Posted by DrIsotope (Post 21021231)
Those pedals are old enough to vote. But they're still SPD, so you can use SM-SH51. When the A515 were being made, they also had the SH-SM55 multi-release cleats, but those were phased out ages ago. No idea if the current SM-SH56 will work.

LOL! Maybe I'll just invest the money towards something more mondern then. Thanks

operator 07-11-19 12:13 AM


Originally Posted by moto367 (Post 21021264)
LOL! Maybe I'll just invest the money towards something more mondern then. Thanks

These are your standard SPD pedals. MTB

Not road. Any modern spd replacement cleat will work.

Don't waste your money.

leob1 07-11-19 07:01 AM


Originally Posted by operator (Post 21021433)
These are your standard SPD pedals. MTB

Not road. Any modern spd replacement cleat will work.

Don't waste your money.

Your half right, any SPD cleat should work. But they are road pedals, not MTB.
Different SPD cleats will have different amount of float, so you might have to experiment a bit to find what you like. You'll also need shoes that can have a SPD mounted.

And, if you use them on a pair of shoes that has a smooth sole, you'll want a set of 'pontoons' to go with them.

I had a set of these pedals on a bike years ago, never really liked them for road pedals, they go on the trainer if I need them.

Leisesturm 07-11-19 02:20 PM

Well now I am right confused. Is they is or is they ain't road pedals? And if they is, why would MTB cleats work? I'm not going to go look it up. But I think to be helpful to the o.p. someone should. Get it all straight and write a /thread post.

Berg417448 07-11-19 03:26 PM


Originally Posted by Leisesturm (Post 21022345)
Well now I am right confused. Is they is or is they ain't road pedals? And if they is, why would MTB cleats work? I'm not going to go look it up. But I think to be helpful to the o.p. someone should. Get it all straight and write a /thread post.

They are a single sided pedal marketed as being intended for use with road bikes but they use SPD mtb type cleats.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/gui...PD-Pedals,4216

caloso 07-11-19 03:44 PM

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-PD-A515-1853.pdf

TimothyH 07-11-19 04:01 PM


Originally Posted by caloso (Post 21022460)

That PD53 reflector unit is great. :)

davidad 07-12-19 10:53 PM


Originally Posted by Leisesturm (Post 21022345)
Well now I am right confused. Is they is or is they ain't road pedals? And if they is, why would MTB cleats work? I'm not going to go look it up. But I think to be helpful to the o.p. someone should. Get it all straight and write a /thread post.

shimano marketed them as road pedals, but the cleats are interchangeable with the mountains.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:18 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.