Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

10 speed shifter/ 9 speed cassette

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

10 speed shifter/ 9 speed cassette

Old 07-13-19, 10:37 PM
  #1  
davei1980
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
davei1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: E Wa
Posts: 787

Bikes: Ridley XBow all-purpose frankenbike

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts
10 speed shifter/ 9 speed cassette

I am setting up my gravel bike with a 10 speed indexed bar end shifter and a 9 speed cassette

If you were me, would you set up the extra “click” at the top of the shift pattern (lowest gear, most tension, largest cog) or at the bottom (high gear, lowest tension, small cog)? And why?
davei1980 is offline  
Old 07-14-19, 12:40 AM
  #2  
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek
 
Davet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Los Barriles, Baja Sur, Mexico
Posts: 1,236

Bikes: Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
That approach won’t work properly as each ‘click’ of the shifter pulls a different amount of cable than a proper 9-speed shifter does. It will work sorta OK but it will grumble and make noises.

If your 10-speed bar end rear shifter has the D-ring on it, you can set your rear shifter to friction so it will shift correctly with virtually any cassette you can hang on your wheel.
Davet is offline  
Old 07-14-19, 05:57 AM
  #3  
shelbyfv
Senior Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,690
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 178 Posts
If I were you I would get a 10 speed cassette. You are wasting your time otherwise.
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 07-14-19, 07:53 AM
  #4  
davei1980
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
davei1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: E Wa
Posts: 787

Bikes: Ridley XBow all-purpose frankenbike

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Davet View Post
That approach won’t work properly as each ‘click’ of the shifter pulls a different amount of cable than a proper 9-speed shifter does. It will work sorta OK but it will grumble and make noises.

If your 10-speed bar end rear shifter has the D-ring on it, you can set your rear shifter to friction so it will shift correctly with virtually any cassette you can hang on your wheel.
ok thanks- the guy at the used bike shop who sold me the shifter said 9 and 10 speed cassettes are spaced the same. Guess not! I only paid $1 for the cassette in a going out of business sale so I wasn’t
married to it.

It doesn’t have the D ring, just a screw 🙄

No problem fitting a 10 sp cassette on my existing Ultegra hub, correct? I have 8 and 9 speeds on there (and a single cog with lots of spacers)
davei1980 is offline  
Old 07-14-19, 08:15 AM
  #5  
Iride01
Senior Member
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,333

Bikes: '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 29 Posts
If I had it already, I'd try it and see. There are some definite con's, but you probably already figured most of them.

You probably can put a 10 speed cassette on it. However it'd be better to know the model number of the ultegra.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 07-14-19, 08:55 AM
  #6  
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek
 
Davet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Los Barriles, Baja Sur, Mexico
Posts: 1,236

Bikes: Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980 View Post
ok thanks- the guy at the used bike shop who sold me the shifter said 9 and 10 speed cassettes are spaced the same. Guess not! I only paid $1 for the cassette in a going out of business sale so I wasn’t
married to it.

It doesn’t have the D ring, just a screw 🙄

No problem fitting a 10 sp cassette on my existing Ultegra hub, correct? I have 8 and 9 speeds on there (and a single cog with lots of spacers)
You must be in a Spokane. Buying from Cool Water?

A 10-speed cassette will fit on your hub. Far better than the 9-speed.
Davet is offline  
Old 07-14-19, 09:08 AM
  #7  
davei1980
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
davei1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: E Wa
Posts: 787

Bikes: Ridley XBow all-purpose frankenbike

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts







Originally Posted by Davet View Post
You must be in a Spokane. Buying from Cool Water?

A 10-speed cassette will fit on your hub. Far better than the 9-speed.
Yes! Thanks for all the great parts! So happy tobe closing in on riding this awesome machine
davei1980 is offline  
Old 07-14-19, 09:44 AM
  #8  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 5,262

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 88 Posts
https://www.artscyclery.com/science-...compatibility/
dedhed is offline  
Old 07-14-19, 09:49 AM
  #9  
terrymorse 
climber has-been
 
terrymorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 3,520

Bikes: Scott Addict R1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 123 Posts
For sure, leave the extra "click" at the top of the shift pattern. This will simply slack the cable and adhere to the first rule of bicycle mechanics (do no harm).

Now, cassette cog spacing is different on a Shimano 9-speed (4.35 mm) and Shimano 10-speed (3.95 mm). This may mean that shifting will be imprecise, or sometimes it just works (I used Campagnolo 10-speed shifters/derailleurs with Shimano 9-speed for years, and it shifted fine).

But there is a workaround device that will let you fix the spacing difference problem. It's called the JTek Shiftmate 2, and it modifies the amount of cable pull, installed at the rear derailleur:

JTek Shiftmate 2
__________________
Ride, Rest, Repeat
terrymorse is offline  
Old 07-14-19, 09:54 AM
  #10  
Iride01
Senior Member
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,333

Bikes: '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 29 Posts
That pic with the wheel in the truing stand made me stop and go "huh". I'm sure it's just the camera perspective.

But yeah, get it going and ride it. Don't be like two of my friends. Both of them started building their own sailboats about the same time. One stalled on worrying about cosmetics. The other didn't worry about it much. Guess which one has been enjoying their boat for 10 years and which one is still on the boat stands.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 07-14-19, 10:10 AM
  #11  
davei1980
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
davei1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: E Wa
Posts: 787

Bikes: Ridley XBow all-purpose frankenbike

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
That pic with the wheel in the truing stand made me stop and go "huh". I'm sure it's just the camera perspective.

But yeah, get it going and ride it. Don't be like two of my friends. Both of them started building their own sailboats about the same time. One stalled on worrying about cosmetics. The other didn't worry about it much. Guess which one has been enjoying their boat for 10 years and which one is still on the boat stands.
Haha yep! Dish looks out of whack!

+1 on cosmetics- this bike started life as a Craigslist find, an old cannondale fork and a set of tubular rims I decided I could turn into a gravel bike with mostly parts I had lying around! Look closely and you’ll see it is a frankenbike
davei1980 is offline  
Old 07-14-19, 10:23 AM
  #12  
dsbrantjr
Senior Member
 
dsbrantjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 6,539

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse View Post
For sure, leave the extra "click" at the top of the shift pattern. This will simply slack the cable and adhere to the first rule of bicycle mechanics (do no harm).
Yeah, if you lock out the last cable pull you may jam the shifter mechanism trying to shift against the stop or even damage it if you hare ham-fisted enough. Same deal up front using a triple shifter on a double crankset.
dsbrantjr is offline  
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Philphine
Bicycle Mechanics
24
11-08-14 08:48 PM
bbarend
Bicycle Mechanics
17
04-19-11 09:46 PM
j3ns
Bicycle Mechanics
12
03-31-11 05:17 PM
Cachequatch
Bicycle Mechanics
7
01-03-10 05:06 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.