Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front Derailleur Capacity Help

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Front Derailleur Capacity Help

Old 08-20-19, 12:39 PM
  #1  
cs1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Posts: 6,972

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Front Derailleur Capacity Help

Sadly the triple seems to have fallen out of favor on road bikes. Does Shimano make a large capacity double that could work with 16 tooth spread?
cs1 is offline  
Old 08-20-19, 01:10 PM
  #2  
Unca_Sam
The dropped
 
Unca_Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 267

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 40 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1 View Post
Sadly the triple seems to have fallen out of favor on road bikes. Does Shimano make a large capacity double that could work with 16 tooth spread?
Was the triple ever favored for a road bike? Triples are for touring bikes and mountain bikes (I won't accept single ring!). Are you looking to adapt a 2 chainring derailleur for 3 chainring service? Do you need a new front derailleur?

To answer the question you asked, the Shimano FS 5700 specifies a max spread of 16 teeth for a double crankset. Shimano still makes triples too.
Unca_Sam is online now  
Old 08-21-19, 04:16 PM
  #3  
cs1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Posts: 6,972

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam View Post
Was the triple ever favored for a road bike? Triples are for touring bikes and mountain bikes (I won't accept single ring!). Are you looking to adapt a 2 chainring derailleur for 3 chainring service? Do you need a new front derailleur?

To answer the question you asked, the Shimano FS 5700 specifies a max spread of 16 teeth for a double crankset. Shimano still makes triples too.
I am looking for a double that could handle a 16 tooth jump or a little larger. Crankset are every where.
cs1 is offline  
Old 08-22-19, 01:23 AM
  #4  
Unca_Sam
The dropped
 
Unca_Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 267

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 40 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1 View Post
I am looking for a double that could handle a 16 tooth jump or a little larger. Crankset are every where.
The fs 5700 is a front derailleur.
Unca_Sam is online now  
Old 08-22-19, 04:25 AM
  #5  
dsaul
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,114
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
Compact road cranksets use 50/34 chainrings, which is a 16 tooth difference. Every modern road front derailleur should handle that size difference.
dsaul is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.