Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Band brake

Old 05-14-20, 09:41 AM
  #1  
Trikeboy7
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Band brake

Hi
I am buying a band to fit my disabled tricycle
I will have to fit it on right back as I have a thread on the hub that I can use

I notice most all band brakes are on left will this be a problem and lead to loosening of the break assembly when braking
Appreciate advice
Trikeboy7 is offline  
Old 05-14-20, 10:36 AM
  #2  
Dan Burkhart 
Senior member
 
Dan Burkhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 7,526
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Trikeboy7 View Post
Hi
I am buying a band to fit my disabled tricycle
I will have to fit it on right back as I have a thread on the hub that I can use

I notice most all band brakes are on left will this be a problem and lead to loosening of the break assembly when braking
Appreciate advice
Band brakes use a right hand thread, same as a freewheel, so they mount on the left side so they do not loosen in use. If it is on the right side of the wheel, it will unscrew itself.
Dan Burkhart is offline  
Old 05-14-20, 12:28 PM
  #3  
Trikeboy7
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
Band brakes use a right hand thread, same as a freewheel, so they mount on the left side so they do not loosen in use. If it is on the right side of the wheel, it will unscrew itself.
Many thanks Dan great advice
My problem is my left side has no threads and would involve a great deal of work due to gearing and small chains
Could I fix it with locking screws
Many thanks again
Trikeboy7 is offline  
Old 05-14-20, 01:02 PM
  #4  
Dan Burkhart 
Senior member
 
Dan Burkhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 7,526
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Trikeboy7 View Post
Many thanks Dan great advice
My problem is my left side has no threads and would involve a great deal of work due to gearing and small chains
Could I fix it with locking screws
Many thanks again
I have worked on trikes with band brakes, but they were always mounted on the axle not the wheel hub itself. I'm assuming this is a delta style trike (2 wheels in back, one in front?)
If it is a delta style, chances are one wheel is driven and one freewheels.
Anyway, this is the configuration I am familiar with .

Could you give us a brand and model so we can look it up to see what you are dealing with. As a new poster, you cannot upload photos until you have ten posts.
Dan Burkhart is offline  
Old 05-14-20, 05:08 PM
  #5  
Trikeboy7
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Band brake

Thanks Dan
will do
Trikeboy7 is offline  
Old 05-15-20, 05:36 AM
  #6  
Dan Burkhart 
Senior member
 
Dan Burkhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 7,526
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Trikeboy7 View Post
Thanks Dan
will do
One more thing on the band brake, and another reason it won't work on the right side. These brakes are designed to be self energizing. This means that when the band is brought in contact with the drum, the rotation of the drum helps to assist in the application of the brake. On the right side, the drum rotation would fight brake application rather than assist.
Dan Burkhart is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.