Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chris King bottom bracket

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chris King bottom bracket

Old 05-18-20, 03:23 PM
  #1  
Thruhiker 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Thruhiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Greencastle Pa
Posts: 55

Bikes: Fuji touring, jeep hybrid.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Chris King bottom bracket

Hi everybody,
I'm upgrading my touring bike with a CK threafit 24. I cant seem to find the grease injector tool anywhere. Not even online. My question is does any one know of any website where they are available. Second question is the tool absolutely necessary to grease them or is it just easier and more convenient?
Thruhiker is offline  
Old 05-18-20, 04:47 PM
  #2  
Iride01
Senior Member
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 3,771

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
I like just throwing away my 18 dollar BB every 10 years or so. Greasing anything seems so 20th century. <grin>

My apology for making light of your issue, but for caged bearings, in the old days we just put a blob of grease in our palm and rubbed the bearing cage across our palm until it was packed with grease. Of course on airplanes we had to use a special tool to press the grease in because the acids in our skin oils was supposedly the cause of several mechanical issues. But wheels on a plane go from zero to 100 maybe a 120 in a split second on landing. So any contamination is a bad thing. You could use a gloved hand if you don't like the skin conditioning aspect.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 05-18-20, 05:44 PM
  #3  
Crankycrank
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,667
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Thruhiker View Post
My question is does any one know of any website where they are available. Second question is the tool absolutely necessary to grease them or is it just easier and more convenient?
It looks only slightly easier than just pulling the seals off and greasing as Iride01 suggests. Ideally you want to take the BB out of the frame and re-grease the threads to prevent corrosion and just lube the bearings while out of the frame. If you really want to be extra diligent douse the bearings with WD40 or solvent, blow out with air or let dry for a day to get everything clean before lubing.
Crankycrank is offline  
Old 05-18-20, 06:38 PM
  #4  
Thruhiker 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Thruhiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Greencastle Pa
Posts: 55

Bikes: Fuji touring, jeep hybrid.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thank you for the help!
Thruhiker is offline  
Old 05-18-20, 07:15 PM
  #5  
silverado8405
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 62

Bikes: 2007 Trek 820, 2014 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I may happen to have a drawing and parts list for said tool since I also could not find one and my bike shop had one available for my calipering delight. Let me know if you’re interested.
silverado8405 is offline  
Old 05-19-20, 05:51 AM
  #6  
Vince Canepa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 158

Bikes: 1978 Jack Taylor "Tour of Britain", 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-4, 2013, Cannondale Supersix Evo Red Racing, 1969 Jack Taylor Ladies "Tourist" (wife's), 2010 Specialized Dolce Sport (wife's)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Chris King website shows to tool as "sold out". You may want to contact them to see if they intend to restock. They usually respond quickly to e-mail. I have their PF30 BB. Annually I remove the cranks, spindle and seals and flush the bearings with WD-40, which is the CK alternative to using the tool. I have ceramic bearings so I relube with their Ring Drive lube. You can also use a syringe to squeeze grease into the bearings after flushing them out.. I didn't get the tool because I didn't like the idea of pushing out the old grease into the bb shell. The way I do it I can clean the bb shell as part of the service. I keep a set of seals and snap rings in stock in case of damage.
Vince Canepa is offline  
Old 05-19-20, 12:11 PM
  #7  
aggiegrads
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sherwood, OR
Posts: 946
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Vince Canepa View Post
The Chris King website shows to tool as "sold out". You may want to contact them to see if they intend to restock. They usually respond quickly to e-mail. I have their PF30 BB. Annually I remove the cranks, spindle and seals and flush the bearings with WD-40, which is the CK alternative to using the tool. I have ceramic bearings so I relube with their Ring Drive lube. You can also use a syringe to squeeze grease into the bearings after flushing them out.. I didn't get the tool because I didn't like the idea of pushing out the old grease into the bb shell. The way I do it I can clean the bb shell as part of the service. I keep a set of seals and snap rings in stock in case of damage.
I have blown out the seals twice, the first time from stupidity, the second time from impatience. I also recommend that you keep the seals and snap rings on hand.

Do you have any tricks for avoiding a seal blowout? Maybe the grease that I used was too thick.
aggiegrads is offline  
Old 05-20-20, 05:49 AM
  #8  
Vince Canepa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 158

Bikes: 1978 Jack Taylor "Tour of Britain", 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-4, 2013, Cannondale Supersix Evo Red Racing, 1969 Jack Taylor Ladies "Tourist" (wife's), 2010 Specialized Dolce Sport (wife's)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads View Post
I have blown out the seals twice, the first time from stupidity, the second time from impatience. I also recommend that you keep the seals and snap rings on hand.

Do you have any tricks for avoiding a seal blowout? Maybe the grease that I used was too thick.
I don't know what you mean by "seal blowout". This implies that some sort of pressure is building up and forcing the seals out. I've never experienced this. Perhaps you are not getting the snap rings fully seated. It can be tricky, especially with used seals. I make absolutely sure the ends of the snap rings are not overlapped. Also, I have made it a habit of replacing the seals when I do the service because it seems much easier to get the snap rings to seat properly. I don't use grease. As I stated above I have the ceramic bearings so I use a small amount of Ring Lube.
Vince Canepa is offline  
Old 05-20-20, 07:29 AM
  #9  
aggiegrads
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sherwood, OR
Posts: 946
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Vince Canepa View Post
I don't know what you mean by "seal blowout". This implies that some sort of pressure is building up and forcing the seals out. I've never experienced this. Perhaps you are not getting the snap rings fully seated. It can be tricky, especially with used seals. I make absolutely sure the ends of the snap rings are not overlapped. Also, I have made it a habit of replacing the seals when I do the service because it seems much easier to get the snap rings to seat properly. I don't use grease. As I stated above I have the ceramic bearings so I use a small amount of Ring Lube.
The seal blowout happens when using the Chris King tool if (in my experience) the grease is too thick or you put too much pressure into the grease gun. I guess my question should have been (does anyone have any tips to avoid seal blowout). It sounds like you do not have the CK tool.

I definitely have the snap rings seated all the way - the ends do not overlap and it is obvious when they are not seated.
aggiegrads is offline  
Old 05-20-20, 08:26 AM
  #10  
Vince Canepa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 158

Bikes: 1978 Jack Taylor "Tour of Britain", 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-4, 2013, Cannondale Supersix Evo Red Racing, 1969 Jack Taylor Ladies "Tourist" (wife's), 2010 Specialized Dolce Sport (wife's)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads View Post
The seal blowout happens when using the Chris King tool if (in my experience) the grease is too thick or you put too much pressure into the grease gun. I guess my question should have been (does anyone have any tips to avoid seal blowout). It sounds like you do not have the CK tool.

I definitely have the snap rings seated all the way - the ends do not overlap and it is obvious when they are not seated.
As I stated in post #6 I do not use the tool because I don't want to force old grease into the bb shell. From what you are saying it sounds like there is another good reason not to use the tool.
Vince Canepa is offline  
Old 05-20-20, 08:38 AM
  #11  
aggiegrads
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sherwood, OR
Posts: 946
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Vince Canepa View Post
As I stated in post #6 I do not use the tool because I don't want to force old grease into the bb shell. From what you are saying it sounds like there is another good reason not to use the tool.
The tool does not force grease into the BB shell. It pushes grease from the inside of the BB through the front seal. The process is very easy and does a fantastic job flushing dirty grease out of the bearing; you just have to be careful with the seals as you have noted.
aggiegrads is offline  
Old 05-20-20, 09:28 AM
  #12  
Vince Canepa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 158

Bikes: 1978 Jack Taylor "Tour of Britain", 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-4, 2013, Cannondale Supersix Evo Red Racing, 1969 Jack Taylor Ladies "Tourist" (wife's), 2010 Specialized Dolce Sport (wife's)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads View Post
The tool does not force grease into the BB shell. It pushes grease from the inside of the BB through the front seal. The process is very easy and does a fantastic job flushing dirty grease out of the bearing; you just have to be careful with the seals as you have noted.
I stand corrected.
Vince Canepa is offline  
Likes For Vince Canepa:
Old 05-20-20, 10:15 AM
  #13  
davidad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,225
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 57 Times in 52 Posts
Found this. https://chrisking.com/blogs/news/how...-king-bearings
davidad is offline  
Old 05-20-20, 10:30 AM
  #14  
aggiegrads
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sherwood, OR
Posts: 946
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad View Post
It looks like they are saying that best practice is to remove the seals.

If you look at the BB owner’s manuals, it does not state to remove the snap rings and seals, the instructions only state to remove the spindle sleeves.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/29...56820612942588
aggiegrads is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 06:27 AM
  #15  
Vince Canepa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 158

Bikes: 1978 Jack Taylor "Tour of Britain", 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-4, 2013, Cannondale Supersix Evo Red Racing, 1969 Jack Taylor Ladies "Tourist" (wife's), 2010 Specialized Dolce Sport (wife's)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads View Post
It looks like they are saying that best practice is to remove the seals.

If you look at the BB owner’s manuals, it does not state to remove the snap rings and seals, the instructions only state to remove the spindle sleeves.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/29...56820612942588
Interesting. The manual in the link actually gives two methods for lubing the bb, but the manual for my PF30 goes further to clarify how/when to use the two options. As an aside, for owners of ceramic bearings it is not necessary or desirable to pack the bearings with grease. Only a small amount of lube is specified - 1/8 to 1/4 of the way around the bearing. That cannot be done with the tool.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/29...56820612942588
Vince Canepa is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 01:55 PM
  #16  
davidad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,225
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 57 Times in 52 Posts
I have serviced some of my radial bearings by removing the seals and flushing them out, then drying, and greasing them. My ABEC 5 bearings have a metal ring that holds the seals.
davidad is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.