Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/)
-   -   Replacement for Tiagra FD? (https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/1208195-replacement-tiagra-fd.html)

kross57 07-22-20 09:01 AM

Replacement for Tiagra FD?
 
I am looking for a replacement for a Tiagra front derailleur. This is on a 1998 Fuji Newest. The chainrings are 52-42-30. 9 speed cassette. Shifters are Tiagra brifters. Anyone know a good derailleur that will work here? 28.6 clamp-on.

Thanks!

cyccommute 07-22-20 09:13 AM


Originally Posted by kross57 (Post 21600934)
I am looking for a replacement for a Tiagra front derailleur. This is on a 1998 Fuji Newest. The chainrings are 52-42-30. 9 speed cassette. Shifters are Tiagra brifters. Anyone know a good derailleur that will work here? 28.6 clamp-on.

Thanks!

A new Tiagra should work. Itís a 3x10 but the 3 part hasnít really changed. Alternatively, the Sora is 9 speed and will work with your STI levers. Claris is 8 speed and will also work with your shifters. Both will come in a 32 (ish) mm diameter with spacers to make it fit your frame.

Going down in terms of quality level isnít a bad thing when it comes to Shimanoís front derailers, by the way. Shimanoís cheaper front derailers are easier to set up and work better for a wider gear range on the back. The derailer cage tends to be wider in the cheaper front derailers.

kross57 07-22-20 09:19 AM


Originally Posted by cyccommute (Post 21600949)
A new Tiagra should work. Itís a 3x10 but the 3 part hasnít really changed. Alternatively, the Sora is 9 speed and will work with your STI levers. Claris is 8 speed and will also work with your shifters. Both will come in a 32 (ish) mm diameter with spacers to make it fit your frame.

Going down in terms of quality level isnít a bad thing when it comes to Shimanoís front derailers, by the way. Shimanoís cheaper front derailers are easier to set up and work better for a wider gear range on the back. The derailer cage tends to be wider in the cheaper front derailers.

Thank you!

shelbyfv 07-22-20 02:31 PM

I used a Sora FD a couple of years ago. It was what I could easily find in silver, 28.6. It worked well, looked good. Amazingly cheap.

mitchmellow62 07-22-20 03:29 PM

I replaced a Tiagra 4503 with a Sora and there was no perceivable change in shifting. I later repaired the 4503 and am using it on another bike. If the spring retaining tab broke on yours, as they often do, take a look at the following thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...macguyver.html . The repair was relatively easy and it is performing well.

kross57 07-22-20 04:54 PM


Originally Posted by mitchmellow62 (Post 21601728)
I replaced a Tiagra 4503 with a Sora and there was no perceivable change in shifting. I later repaired the 4503 and am using it on another bike. If the spring retaining tab broke on yours, as they often do, take a look at the following thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...macguyver.html . The repair was relatively easy and it is performing well.

Cool beans! I will give that a shot as Plan A.

cyccommute 07-23-20 09:19 AM


Originally Posted by mitchmellow62 (Post 21601728)
If the spring retaining tab broke on yours, as they often do, take a look at the following thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...macguyver.html . The repair was relatively easy and it is performing well.

Noted and bookmarked. You learn something every day.

kross57 07-23-20 04:15 PM

i tried the repair but it didn't hold. There is not a lot of aluminum where you need to drill. A better man than I might get it to work, though.

Looking at Shimano replacements, most are limited to a 50-tooth chain ring max. I finally ordered this. Looks correct. I'll find out.


https://www.target.com/p/microshift-...d/-/A-77415282

cyccommute 07-23-20 04:32 PM


Originally Posted by kross57 (Post 21603795)
i tried the repair but it didn't hold. There is not a lot of aluminum where you need to drill. A better man than I might get it to work, though.

Looking at Shimano replacements, most are limited to a 50-tooth chain ring max. I finally ordered this. Looks correct. I'll find out.


https://www.target.com/p/microshift-...d/-/A-77415282

Should work. It’s hard to mess up a front derailer...Shimano seems to have, however...I have a Microshift on one of my bikes to replace the Tiagra that broke. It works just fine.

Side note: The max chain ring rating is more of a suggestion then an absolute. The Microshift I’m using is being used on a 46 tooth mountain ring. It does very well. I’ve got some front derailers working on 48 tooth rings and 52 tooth rings. No issues anywhere.

kross57 07-24-20 02:59 AM


Originally Posted by cyccommute (Post 21603823)
Should work. Itís hard to mess up a front derailer...Shimano seems to have, however...I have a Microshift on one of my bikes to replace the Tiagra that broke. It works just fine.

Side note: The max chain ring rating is more of a suggestion then an absolute. The Microshift Iím using is being used on a 46 tooth mountain ring. It does very well. Iíve got some front derailers working on 48 tooth rings and 52 tooth rings. No issues anywhere.

I appreciate the info. I just don't have enough experience to go beyond what the maker says, at least when ordering new. If I had something close in the parts bin, I'd certainly try it.

mitchmellow62 07-24-20 10:35 AM


Originally Posted by kross57 (Post 21603795)
i tried the repair but it didn't hold. There is not a lot of aluminum where you need to drill. A better man than I might get it to work, though.

Looking at Shimano replacements, most are limited to a 50-tooth chain ring max. I finally ordered this. Looks correct. I'll find out.


https://www.target.com/p/microshift-...d/-/A-77415282

That's too bad that the fix didn't work for you. I imagine a lot depends on how/where the original tab broke and where one decides to drill the hole. Perhaps not all have enough remaining metal. On review, my repair certainly doesn't look identical to the original poster. I have never used a microshift FD but I do have a 9 speed RD that has been very good and wouldn't hesitate to use other components of the brand.

kross57 07-27-20 01:28 PM

The microshift r10 triple worked out fine.

dsb_mac 07-27-20 04:15 PM

i changed my broken tiagra to a sora.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:42 AM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.