Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help me with my wobbly Diverge - Front Futureshock

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Help me with my wobbly Diverge - Front Futureshock

Old 08-02-20, 12:21 PM
  #1  
boxrick
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help me with my wobbly Diverge - Front Futureshock

Hello folks! I have recently purchased a second hand Specialized Diverge 2018 model.

I have upgraded a few things on it ( wheels, handlebar, stem and brakes ) and whilst doing some initial riding the front end didn't quite feel 'right' it felt like what a loose headset would feel like on another bike.
It actually seems the front end is wobbling slightly ever so much left and right just a few millimetres , so I watched a variety of Future shock videos and tightened ( even overtightened ) the preload. It made literally no difference.

So I assumed there may be something wrong with the bearings so I purchased a couple of brand new bearings, pulled the whole unit apart cleaned it all up and re-greased and followed the manuals and videos online and set up the pre-load correctly again. The front end feels smoother, but the wobble is still present.

I have taken a video and some pictures but these forums won't let me share any links or pictures until I have 10 posts... But searching Youtube below will at least show you a quick video. As I get 10 posts I will relink the things here. I am hoping someone can help me out?

I am wondering if it is something to do with the spacers which came on the bike.

Youtube: QTWBIZQSq8c
boxrick is offline  
Old 08-02-20, 01:00 PM
  #2  
Iride01
Senior Member
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 3,809

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 292 Posts

I can't tell from the video where the movement you talk about really is. But the way you are shaking it, are you sure the axle or wheel bearings aren't too loose?
Iride01 is online now  
Old 08-02-20, 01:08 PM
  #3  
boxrick
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
I can't tell from the video where the movement you talk about really is. But the way you are shaking it, are you sure the axle or wheel bearings aren't too loose?
The movement is horizontal the wheels are brand new, but I have a few wheels I can swap over from my other bikes and some different thru axles. I will give this a try, thanks for the pointer!
boxrick is offline  
Old 08-02-20, 01:19 PM
  #4  
boxrick
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boxrick View Post
The movement is horizontal the wheels are brand new, but I have a few wheels I can swap over from my other bikes and some different thru axles. I will give this a try, thanks for the pointer!
So a completely different set of wheels with a different thru axle of the correct size did nothing.. I also made sure it was tight enough.
boxrick is offline  
Old 08-02-20, 02:11 PM
  #5  
andrewclaus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 1,790

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 66 Posts
I don't have direct experience with that unit, but as with all suspension systems there is a piston/cylinder unit. It looks like there is play between the piston and cylinder. That unit may not be serviceable. A quick search shows a replacement unit costs about $250, so hopefully that's not the problem.
andrewclaus is offline  
Old 08-02-20, 02:39 PM
  #6  
boxrick
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus View Post
I don't have direct experience with that unit, but as with all suspension systems there is a piston/cylinder unit. It looks like there is play between the piston and cylinder. That unit may not be serviceable. A quick search shows a replacement unit costs about $250, so hopefully that's not the problem.
I actually have a couple more of these futureshock bikes. So I pulled the unit off one of my other ones and stuck it in this one. It isnít perfect but itís massively improved.

Something tells me this May me the problem.
boxrick is offline  
Old 08-03-20, 05:21 AM
  #7  
rbrides
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Triangle NC
Posts: 108

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by boxrick View Post
Hello folks! I have recently purchased a second hand Specialized Diverge 2018 model.

I have upgraded a few things on it ( wheels, handlebar, stem and brakes ) and whilst doing some initial riding the front end didn't quite feel 'right' it felt like what a loose headset would feel like on another bike.
It actually seems the front end is wobbling slightly ever so much left and right just a few millimetres , so I watched a variety of Future shock videos and tightened ( even overtightened ) the preload. It made literally no difference.

So I assumed there may be something wrong with the bearings so I purchased a couple of brand new bearings, pulled the whole unit apart cleaned it all up and re-greased and followed the manuals and videos online and set up the pre-load correctly again. The front end feels smoother, but the wobble is still present.

I have taken a video and some pictures but these forums won't let me share any links or pictures until I have 10 posts... But searching Youtube below will at least show you a quick video. As I get 10 posts I will relink the things here. I am hoping someone can help me out?

I am wondering if it is something to do with the spacers which came on the bike.

Youtube: QTWBIZQSq8c
I had that issue with my 2018 Diverge Comp. After MANY trips to the bike shop, I determined via my own inspections and diagnosis that the Future shock had completely failed. I insisted on a warranty replacement. While the bike shop was not in agreement Specialized did not hesitate to send me a replacement. Problem solved.
rbrides is offline  
Old 08-04-20, 09:13 PM
  #8  
boxrick
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrides View Post
I had that issue with my 2018 Diverge Comp. After MANY trips to the bike shop, I determined via my own inspections and diagnosis that the Future shock had completely failed. I insisted on a warranty replacement. While the bike shop was not in agreement Specialized did not hesitate to send me a replacement. Problem solved.
Thanks for this, I emailed Specialized on Monday. Had no reply yet but hopefully they will be able to help me, or at a minimum sell me a new cartridge...
boxrick is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 07:28 PM
  #9  
dwmckee
Senior Member
 
dwmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,889

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrides View Post
I had that issue with my 2018 Diverge Comp. After MANY trips to the bike shop, I determined via my own inspections and diagnosis that the Future shock had completely failed. I insisted on a warranty replacement. While the bike shop was not in agreement Specialized did not hesitate to send me a replacement. Problem solved.
There are a lot of posts about Future Shock warranty issues I have seen around... As this is used, you likely will be on the hook for cost of replacement if it is defective. Was it that way when you bought it?
dwmckee is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.