Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New Park BT-2 Fourth-Hand Tool Feels like Junk!

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

New Park BT-2 Fourth-Hand Tool Feels like Junk!

Old 08-20-20, 12:26 PM
  #1  
Papa Tom
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Papa Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,264

Bikes: The same GT Outpost Mountain bike I've been riding since 1996, although I modify it throughout the year for commuting, touring, and recreational riding.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 94 Posts
New Park BT-2 Fourth-Hand Tool Feels like Junk!

While doing a roadside service favor for a friend, I lost the BT-2 I had bought in 1998 for about $30 and had to replace it with this $50 one. I chose another Park because all I hear is how the "Made In USA Quality" is well worth the premium price. I can't believe how cheap and flimsy this thing feels, and I can't imagine how poorly made the ones that are twenty and thirty dollars cheaper must be.
Papa Tom is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 12:45 PM
  #2  
Crankycrank
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,864
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 112 Posts
Are you sure it's not some fake Park Tool? You can contact Park to check if it's the real deal and if it is let them know you're not happy. I've never had one of these in my hands so can't say if anything has changed with them but from the photos of the current tool it looks pretty solid. Just askin'.
Crankycrank is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 12:56 PM
  #3  
Papa Tom
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Papa Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,264

Bikes: The same GT Outpost Mountain bike I've been riding since 1996, although I modify it throughout the year for commuting, touring, and recreational riding.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank View Post
Are you sure it's not some fake Park Tool? You can contact Park to check if it's the real deal and if it is let them know you're not happy. I've never had one of these in my hands so can't say if anything has changed with them but from the photos of the current tool it looks pretty solid. Just askin'.
I just called Park and, surprisingly, they didn't seem surprised nor apologetic about my concerns. I think I will try to return this item, as it's definitely not a fifty dollar tool.
Papa Tom is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 01:03 PM
  #4  
Hit Factor
Junior Member
 
Hit Factor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Michigan, U.S.A.
Posts: 17

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint AL 3 Disc and Verve 3 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
I think I will try to return this item, as it's definitely not a fifty dollar tool.
What will you replace it with?
Hit Factor is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 01:27 PM
  #5  
aggiegrads
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sherwood, OR
Posts: 1,171
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 131 Posts
I was unimpressed with the park tool. I had the opportunity to use the Hozan 4th hand, and that is now what is in my toolbox. I gave the Park BT-2 away.
aggiegrads is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 03:39 PM
  #6  
mrblue
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 646

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
While doing a roadside service favor for a friend, I lost the BT-2 I had bought in 1998 for about $30 and had to replace it with this $50 one. I chose another Park because all I hear is how the "Made In USA Quality" is well worth the premium price. I can't believe how cheap and flimsy this thing feels, and I can't imagine how poorly made the ones that are twenty and thirty dollars cheaper must be.
Park makes stuff in the USA? Wow. I thought everything was made in Asia. Except Campagnolo.

I have the BT-2, too, and I guess it feels kind of flimsy, but then again, I have nothing to compare it to. Suffice to say, it does what it's supposed to do. I mean, I'm just pulling on bike cables with it. I'm not trying to rebuild the Golden Gate Bridge or put cables on telephone poles.
mrblue is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 04:43 PM
  #7  
Papa Tom
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Papa Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,264

Bikes: The same GT Outpost Mountain bike I've been riding since 1996, although I modify it throughout the year for commuting, touring, and recreational riding.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads View Post
I was unimpressed with the park tool. I had the opportunity to use the Hozan 4th hand, and that is now what is in my toolbox. I gave the Park BT-2 away.
The Park BT-2 is on its way back and the Hozan is what I chose to replace it with. It doesn't have the locking feature, but that appears to be the weakest link on the Park version, anyway. The Hozan looks more like the original Park Fourth-Hand tool that I lost and need to replace. I will let you know how it works out.
Papa Tom is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 05:31 PM
  #8  
aggiegrads
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sherwood, OR
Posts: 1,171
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
The Park BT-2 is on its way back and the Hozan is what I chose to replace it with. It doesn't have the locking feature, but that appears to be the weakest link on the Park version, anyway. The Hozan looks more like the original Park Fourth-Hand tool that I lost and need to replace. I will let you know how it works out.
Agree. The Hozan is more of a "third hand" tool. But losing the locking feature has not been that big of a problem. If it was, I would have tried to find a Unior. The locking mechanism seems less fiddly.
aggiegrads is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 05:48 PM
  #9  
dsbrantjr
Senior Member
 
dsbrantjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 7,812

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 472 Posts
My Icetoolz 4th hand works just fine, at about 1/3 of the cost of the Park.
dsbrantjr is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 06:18 PM
  #10  
Papa Tom
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Papa Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,264

Bikes: The same GT Outpost Mountain bike I've been riding since 1996, although I modify it throughout the year for commuting, touring, and recreational riding.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr View Post
My Icetoolz 4th hand works just fine, at about 1/3 of the cost of the Park.
I'm sure there are many that work just fine. In fact, from the pics online, my guess is that half of them are exactly the same, made in the same factory by the same slave labor. I've chosen the Hozan for now. Feel free to post any additional recommendations, but please don't be offended if I don't comment every time someone suggests another model.
Papa Tom is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 06:48 PM
  #11  
Miele Man
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,277

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 507 Posts
I had two different Park bicycle tools break and when purchased were sold with a lifetime warranty. Park would not replace either tool. I no longer by Park if possible.

Cheers
Miele Man is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 07:07 PM
  #12  
Tandem Tom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 2,230

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 41 Times in 35 Posts
I have a Pedro and it is pretty good.
Tandem Tom is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 08:49 PM
  #13  
aggiegrads
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sherwood, OR
Posts: 1,171
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
I'm sure there are many that work just fine. In fact, from the pics online, my guess is that half of them are exactly the same, made in the same factory by the same slave labor. I've chosen the Hozan for now. Feel free to post any additional recommendations, but please don't be offended if I don't comment every time someone suggests another model.
I am a complete tool nerd and generally assume that everyone knows what is available from Park, Pedros, Icetoolz and Birzman. I usually don’t chime in unless I know of something that is superior to the other offerings. I will seek out Hozan, Stein, Var, Unior or Cyclus options if they make what appears to be superior than what is commonly available. I have and have used “boutique” brands like EVT and Abbey, but don’t recommend them unless someone specifically asks for a premium tool.

I also seek out the best “general” tools from brands like Felco, Knipex, Wera, Wiha, PB Swiss, etc. Life is too short to use crummy tools, and I am lucky to have the means to buy good tools. Happy wrenching.
aggiegrads is offline  
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 08-20-20, 09:13 PM
  #14  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 7,276

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1879 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 522 Posts
Hozan makes great tools. I love Park, but not for all things. I look for the best tools in the bunch rather than just stick with one manufacturer. I will say I love their Big Blue Box but I am a sucker for anything with gas assisted struts but it is a fantastic box beyond that and have a few other tools from them that are great. Their derailleur screwdrivers are so nice and they make some other stuff that is great but also a good deal of decent but not great tools.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 09-02-20, 06:20 PM
  #15  
Papa Tom
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Papa Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,264

Bikes: The same GT Outpost Mountain bike I've been riding since 1996, although I modify it throughout the year for commuting, touring, and recreational riding.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 94 Posts
Follow-Up From The OP: I received the Hozan C-358 Fourth-Hand Tool today and it feels just like my original Park cable puller. I am grateful to know that, even though Park's current version feels cheap and poorly-made, there are still some quality tools out there to be had from other manufacturers.

Thanks for all the input.
Papa Tom is offline  
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 09-02-20, 09:20 PM
  #16  
aggiegrads
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sherwood, OR
Posts: 1,171
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
Follow-Up From The OP: I received the Hozan C-358 Fourth-Hand Tool today and it feels just like my original Park cable puller. I am grateful to know that, even though Park's current version feels cheap and poorly-made, there are still some quality tools out there to be had from other manufacturers.

Thanks for all the input.
Thanks for the update. I really appreciate people following up so those folks giving advice have a clue if their guidance was valuable.
aggiegrads is offline  
Likes For aggiegrads:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.