Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/)
-   -   Rim strip - how wide? (https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/1217358-rim-strip-how-wide.html)

keithdunlop 11-12-20 11:31 AM

Rim strip - how wide?
 
I'm building up a new set of DT Swiss gravel wheels that have a 24mm inner width. They also have this rather deep channel in the middle of the cross section. Should rim strip cover the entire inner rim width, or just the channel with the spoke holes?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...103ff40373.jpg

gsa103 11-12-20 01:05 PM

Buy some tubeless rim tape and run it essentially edge to edge.

deacon mark 11-12-20 03:14 PM


Originally Posted by gsa103 (Post 21787240)
Buy some tubeless rim tape and run it essentially edge to edge.

That is the best way and I use Stan's no tubes tape. Very good and double layer it works great.

pdlamb 11-12-20 04:16 PM

Contrary opinion: get the rim tape that's wide enough to cover the well the spoke holes are in, but no wider.

You want to make sure the spoke holes are covered. But it's a whole lot easier to install tires, and remove them to fix a flat, if you can drop the tire bead down into that center well.

Kapusta 11-12-20 06:26 PM


Originally Posted by pdlamb (Post 21787509)
Contrary opinion: get the rim tape that's wide enough to cover the well the spoke holes are in, but no wider.

Assuming the OP is going tubeless.....on many rims, if you you don't run the tape to the edge, you may have a hard time getting the bead to seat with a floor pump and will need to use compressed air. Not a problem at home if you have one, but sucks if you need to re-seat elsewhere. Ask me how I know this :bang:

Not an issue if the OP is not running tubeless, of course.


Originally Posted by pdlamb (Post 21787509)
You want to make sure the spoke holes are covered. But it's a whole lot easier to install tires, and remove them to fix a flat, if you can drop the tire bead down into that center well.

Not sure I am following, here. If you cover the holes, you are putting the tape on the bottom of the well. What is the alternate recommendation?

pdlamb 11-13-20 08:20 AM


Originally Posted by Kapusta (Post 21787672)
Not sure I am following, here. If you cover the holes, you are putting the tape on the bottom of the well. What is the alternate recommendation?

The previous two posts recommended taping "edge to edge." If the wheel is going to be used with tubes, the thickness of the tape may interfere with sliding the bead down to remove and replace the tire.

I'd think that would hold true as well for initial tire installation on a tubeless setup, but perhaps you wouldn't have to fix most flats that way.

keithdunlop 11-13-20 04:58 PM


Originally Posted by Kapusta (Post 21787672)
Assuming the OP is going tubeless.....on many rims, if you you don't run the tape to the edge, you may have a hard time getting the bead to seat with a floor pump and will need to use compressed air. Not a problem at home if you have one, but sucks if you need to re-seat elsewhere. Ask me how I know this :bang:

Not an issue if the OP is not running tubeless, of course.


Not sure I am following, here. If you cover the holes, you are putting the tape on the bottom of the well. What is the alternate recommendation?

I should have said this in the post - I do not plan to run tubeless initially. My initial thought was to get some 10mm wide Velox and run it in the channel.

gsa103 11-13-20 05:53 PM


Originally Posted by keithdunlop (Post 21789237)
I should have said this in the post - I do not plan to run tubeless initially. My initial thought was to get some 10mm wide Velox and run it in the channel.

Just set it up with tubeless tape. It'll be less hassle in the long run. Velox cloth tape is actually thicker than most tubeless tape. The thicker tape will make it more difficult to install. The channel is actually where you need the most clearance, because that's what let's the tire shift to get it on.
You have tubeless ready rims, cloth tape is going to make mounting tires worse not better.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:10 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.