Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/)
-   -   Upgrade headset bearings? (https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/1218416-upgrade-headset-bearings.html)

loheiman 11-28-20 01:11 AM

Upgrade headset bearings to fully sealed?
 
I did my first headset service on my 2019 Jamis Renegade which came with a FSA Orbit ITA Headset.

One of the bearings was notchy and i tried to clean it/regrease it which helped a bit but it's still not super smooth. While I may be able to do a better job (I foind removing seals tricky), the bearings only have one seal which seems like a poor design.


I could buy FSA replacements for $40 but am thinking I should look for fully sealed bearings. I've found Enduro in the upper bearing size but haven't had much luck with the lower size.

Is it worth trying to upgrade the bearings or should I stick with the OEM?
If so, where should I be looking? Any recommended retailers or brands?

The upper bearing is 30.2mm ID 41mm OD 6.5mm thick ACB 36 45
The lower bearing is 40mm ID 52mm OD 8mm thick ACB 36 45
Thanks!

DaveSSS 11-28-20 10:13 AM

It makes sense to only seal the side exposed to the elements. If you ride in the wet a lot, use plenty of marine grease on the sealed side. If you're actually getting water in the head tube, use marine grease on the side without seals. It can't hurt. I headset should last many years, if properly adjusted. A common mistake is not applying enough preload tension. Too little preload can result in vibration beating up the bearings. The preload is only too much if the front wheel doesn't center itself, after a turn.

mpetry912 11-28-20 10:41 AM

do any of these look like what you need ?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...riong&_sacat=0

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

loheiman 11-28-20 11:03 AM


Originally Posted by DaveSSS (Post 21809394)
It makes sense to only seal the side exposed to the elements. If you ride in the wet a lot, use plenty of marine grease on the sealed side. If you're actually getting water in the head tube, use marine grease on the side without seals. It can't hurt. I headset should last many years, if properly adjusted. A common mistake is not applying enough preload tension. Too little preload can result in vibration beating up the bearings. The preload is only too much if the front wheel doesn't center itself, after a turn.

Grease on the side without seals is a good tip, thanks. I don't ride in the wet often but whatever it was, it was enough to get to crud in the bearings. Understood on the the headset tightness.

loheiman 11-28-20 11:04 AM


Originally Posted by mpetry912 (Post 21809427)
do any of these look like what you need ?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...riong&_sacat=0

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

Those are the right size for upper but not the lower which is what I couldn't find.

wgscott 11-28-20 11:14 AM

Chris King. I finally took a look at mine 5 years after I got it, and it was like new. No intrusion or anything.

mpetry912 11-28-20 11:15 AM

the lower bearing is the important one !

Give Enduro Bearings a call and ask for Matt. He'll sort you out.

he should at least be able to get you an orderable part number.

they are in Oakland. (510) 613-8200

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

loheiman 11-28-20 11:27 AM


Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 21809449)
Chris King. I finally took a look at mine 5 years after I got it, and it was like new. No intrusion or anything.

Yea I was thinking that a better headset would do a better job keeping crud out to begin with.

If I went down the route of replacing the headset I think I might go with Wolftooth Premium which include stainless Enduro bearings. The nice thing is that the upper and lower are sold separately ($65 and $55 respectively). Anyone have experience with them?

loheiman 11-28-20 11:32 AM


Originally Posted by mpetry912 (Post 21809451)
the lower bearing is the important one !

Give Enduro Bearings a call and ask for Matt. He'll sort you out.

he should at least be able to get you an orderable part number.

they are in Oakland. (510) 613-8200

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

Thanks for the suggestion. I sent them an email. I did look closely through their catalog and it didn't appear they had the right size but maybe it's not listed https://www.endurobearings.com/wp-co...et-catalog.pdf

veganbikes 11-28-20 01:53 PM

My favored headsets are Cane Creek for most of my stuff and Chris King for my vintage 1" threaded stuff or when I need some other colors like violet. However White Industries, Phil Wood, and Wolf Tooth makes some great headsets in the U.S. as well if you want or need other options. Phil Wood is nice if you want super high quality without being as flashy and logo'd.

deacon mark 11-28-20 02:39 PM


Originally Posted by loheiman (Post 21809114)
I did my first headset service on my 2019 Jamis Renegade which came with a FSA Orbit ITA Headset.

One of the bearings was notchy and i tried to clean it/regrease it which helped a bit but it's still not super smooth. While I may be able to do a better job (I foind removing seals tricky), the bearings only have one seal which seems like a poor design.


I could buy FSA replacements for $40 but am thinking I should look for fully sealed bearings. I've found Enduro in the upper bearing size but haven't had much luck with the lower size.

Is it worth trying to upgrade the bearings or should I stick with the OEM?
If so, where should I be looking? Any recommended retailers or brands?

The upper bearing is 30.2mm ID 41mm OD 6.5mm thick ACB 36 45
The lower bearing is 40mm ID 52mm OD 8mm thick ACB 36 45
Thanks!

I would buy a a whole new headset and get the premium ones with fully sealed bearings. I don't know about the Enduro and need more information about your headtube and steering folk to make the proper headset to get. I just replaced my Ritchey WSC after 3 years and 20,000 miles. t was there premium headset and I don't ride in rain at least on purpose. Mine the lower bearing went bad the upper was fine. Mine is external cup bearings and the lower was bad. The race was pitted and I could feel in in the steering. For $59 it is a no brainer the bearings themselves cost as much as the whole headset separate. I just knock out the old cups and pressed in new cups and put bearings in with marine grease. I used anitseize on the cups to press in and wow what a difference. Completely new and beautiful handling now. Without question go completely new and get the sealed bearings. Headsets are cheap even good ones. What is the specs on your folk and headtube? That will give better information. I would go with the standard 45 45 degree stuff now the 36 45 is older and really not used from what I can read.

HillRider 11-28-20 06:08 PM

From those bearing dimensions it seems you have a fork with a tapered steerer (1-1/8" x 1-1/2") so you need separate cups of the appropriate size. Cane Creek sells their upper and lower cups individually if you order through them.

loheiman 11-30-20 06:02 PM

I got a response back to my inquiry from Enduro and learned that their 6.5mm thick model (ACB 6808 CC SS) will indeed work in as a lower headset bearing (the original was 8mm thick). The reason being is that the taper is in the same place, thus the difference is only how much further the bearing extends into the head tube. They also provided me the below photo to illustrate.

Thus i do not need to replace the headset and can simply replace with Enduro bearings for ~$50 total. Thanks all for your help.


https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b4a6c3c861.jpg
ACB 6808 CC SS (left) vs single sided 8mm thick bearing


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:28 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.