Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano 105 Rear Hub Axle Bolt Thingy

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimano 105 Rear Hub Axle Bolt Thingy

Old 11-30-20, 10:01 PM
  #1  
Jicafold
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Shimano 105 Rear Hub Axle Bolt Thingy

SO I have this Shimano 105 hub and it has a special chrome nut on the freehub side but not on the other. I think it is missing that one and subsequently the axle is too narrow. Where can I get one of those nuts?



Jicafold is offline  
Old 11-30-20, 10:49 PM
  #2  
mrrabbit 
Senior Member
 
mrrabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 3,474

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
. . . I . . .
well . . .
. . . let's see . . . um . . .
Gee golly gosh . . .

I really don't know . . . i think the first word starts with a "b" . . .

. . . second word, something to do with place where money is exchanged I think.

But don't trust me . . I have an IQ of 145.

=8-|
__________________
5000+ wheels built since 1984...

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
mrrabbit is offline  
Old 11-30-20, 11:03 PM
  #3  
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member
 
Bill Kapaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
Posts: 13,189

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1521 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 592 Posts
Which version of 105?
5800? if so you can get a part# from the attached pdf. If not a 5800, you might learn to provide adequate info.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
FH-5800-3719.pdf (270.1 KB, 11 views)
Bill Kapaun is offline  
Old 12-01-20, 07:43 AM
  #4  
Jicafold
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrabbit View Post
. . . I . . .
well . . .
. . . let's see . . . um . . .
Gee golly gosh . . .

I really don't know . . . i think the first word starts with a "b" . . .

. . . second word, something to do with place where money is exchanged I think.

But don't trust me . . I have an IQ of 145.

=8-|
Seriously? I'm trying to avoid going to the local bike shop, or anywhere in public really, due to the alarming rise of a virus here in Texas whose first letter is C. Seeing as you are from California you should be too. When I was at the bike shop a month ago no one had a mask.

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun View Post
Which version of 105?
5800? if so you can get a part# from the attached pdf. If not a 5800, you might learn to provide adequate info.
Yes. It is a 5800.

Last edited by Jicafold; 12-01-20 at 09:16 AM.
Jicafold is offline  
Likes For Jicafold:
Old 12-01-20, 08:36 AM
  #5  
Andrew R Stewart 
Senior Member
 
Andrew R Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 16,612

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Srewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 2,456 Times in 1,555 Posts
Some us us here get to go to that avoided bike shop every day for work. I have mixed thoughts about those who are nervous to engage with the world... common sense and simple consideration goes a long way to protect you from spreading your C19 to others.

By avoiding the LBS you also avoid the best first source for these kinds of small bits. Generally axle parts, like a lock nut, are not distributed by most manufactures, certainly not in any real quantity. So those who have learned to keep small bits off of otherwise un working parts (like a lock nut from a bent wheel) become the next best source. Your LBS is that place. Andy
__________________
AndrewRStewart
Andrew R Stewart is offline  
Likes For Andrew R Stewart:
Old 12-01-20, 09:06 AM
  #6  
Eggman84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 488

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 42 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold View Post
Seriously? I'm trying to avoid going to the local bike shop, or anywhere in public really, due to the alarming rise of a virus here in Texas whose first letter is C. Seeing as you are from California you should be too. When I was there a month ago no one had a mask.
If you are trying to avoid the virus why then were you traveling to California (against CDC and WHO recommendations) where you clam NO ONE was wearing a mask. Based on that false statement, I doubt you really were in California and are just showing your bias (think Californians have the same opinion of Texans). As to the safety of bike stores, the ones I have patronized in LA area in the last 7 months are strictly following local COVID-19 guidelines (masks, social distancing, limited indoor access) and seem safe enough..
Eggman84 is offline  
Old 12-01-20, 09:10 AM
  #7  
grizzly59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Shimano FH-5800 rear hub
Shimano Y31F98050 left hand lock nut unit

looked on ebay for Y31F98050 , found 3, from England $30-35
part is on Amazon $34

Maybe a regular $1 locknut from a bike shop or coop would work ok, that's what I would try.
grizzly59 is offline  
Old 12-01-20, 09:12 AM
  #8  
Jicafold
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
Some us us here get to go to that avoided bike shop every day for work. I have mixed thoughts about those who are nervous to engage with the world... common sense and simple consideration goes a long way to protect you from spreading your C19 to others.
Well that's just the point. As I have stated, they don't use any common sense at that shop. Therefore I think I am justified to be nervous and not going there. It's the smart move in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence. Just because you work at a bike shop doesn't mean I have to shop at one at this particular point in time.

I was looking for an online resource for this item.
Jicafold is offline  
Old 12-01-20, 09:15 AM
  #9  
Jicafold
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggman84 View Post
If you are trying to avoid the virus why then were you traveling to California (against CDC and WHO recommendations) where you clam NO ONE was wearing a mask. Based on that false statement, I doubt you really were in California and are just showing your bias (think Californians have the same opinion of Texans). As to the safety of bike stores, the ones I have patronized in LA area in the last 7 months are strictly following local COVID-19 guidelines (masks, social distancing, limited indoor access) and seem safe enough..

What? I did not say I was travelling to California. Pardon the sentence structure which I have now corrected. I was commenting that Mrrabbit lives there and that is also a state where the virus is spreading rapidly.
Jicafold is offline  
Old 12-01-20, 09:20 AM
  #10  
Jicafold
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59 View Post
Shimano FH-5800 rear hub
Shimano Y31F98050 left hand lock nut unit

looked on ebay for Y31F98050 , found 3, from England $30-35
part is on Amazon $34

Maybe a regular $1 locknut from a bike shop or coop would work ok, that's what I would try.
Ahhh...Thank you. However a locknut would not work. Putting a simple nut on there would just make it run out of axle space for mounting. That nut is special and provides a surface for the dropout and makes the effective axle length wider. Or I could find a wider axle I suppose.

Last edited by Jicafold; 12-01-20 at 09:23 AM.
Jicafold is offline  
Old 12-01-20, 09:27 AM
  #11  
davidad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,621
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 128 Posts
You are stuck with a bike shop. If there is one near you they may mail you the part.
davidad is offline  
Old 12-01-20, 09:33 AM
  #12  
Moe Zhoost
Half way there
 
Moe Zhoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,690

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 421 Posts
Wow, post-Covid-Thanksgiving snarkiness has raised it's head.

OP - here is a link to one for $11 (Don't know what shipping would be.
https://www.bikesomewhere.com/shiman...nit-y31f98050/

Good Luck
Moe Zhoost is offline  
Old 12-01-20, 09:36 AM
  #13  
Jicafold
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad View Post
You are stuck with a bike shop. If there is one near you they may mail you the part.
There is this newfangled thing called the interweb or something like that.
Jicafold is offline  
Old 12-01-20, 09:36 AM
  #14  
Jicafold
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost View Post
Wow, post-Covid-Thanksgiving snarkiness has raised it's head.

OP - here is a link to one for $11 (Don't know what shipping would be.
https://www.bikesomewhere.com/shiman...nit-y31f98050/

Good Luck
Excellent! Just what I was looking for. Thank you so much.
Jicafold is offline  
Old 12-01-20, 09:40 AM
  #15  
davidad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,621
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold View Post
There is this newfangled thing called the interweb or something like that.
Really! Never heard of it.
davidad is offline  
Old 12-01-20, 11:34 AM
  #16  
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.
 
Thomas15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NE PA
Posts: 711
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold View Post
Seriously? I'm trying to avoid going to the local bike shop, or anywhere in public really, due to the alarming rise of a virus here in Texas whose first letter is C. Seeing as you are from California you should be too. When I was at the bike shop a month ago no one had a mask.
.................
I'm a volunteer Firefighter/EMT. I've been through my state fire academy and EMT school and have a pile of State and National certifications.

But this is not my occupation, alas I'm a volunteer, I'm a volunteer in a geographic area where all fire and most EMS are unpaid professionals.

Should we, myself and my fellow volunteers turn off our pagers and stay home until the big C is eliminated? You know to prevent the spread of the C?
Thomas15 is offline  
Old 12-01-20, 11:40 AM
  #17  
Jicafold
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15 View Post
I'm a volunteer Firefighter/EMT. I've been through my state fire academy and EMT school and have a pile of State and National certifications.

But this is not my occupation, alas I'm a volunteer, I'm a volunteer in a geographic area where all fire and most EMS are unpaid professionals.

Should we, myself and my fellow volunteers turn off our pagers and stay home until the big C is eliminated? You know to prevent the spread of the C?
If you are a volunteer then you have chosen to accept the risk. I'm sure they told you that in class. I'm not required to go anywhere I don't have to. Besides, that's irrelevant to the question I had asked. Let's stay on topic here shall we?
Jicafold is offline  
Old 12-01-20, 11:48 AM
  #18  
phughes
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,537
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 489 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold View Post
Seriously? I'm trying to avoid going to the local bike shop, or anywhere in public really, due to the alarming rise of a virus here in Texas whose first letter is C. Seeing as you are from California you should be too. When I was at the bike shop a month ago no one had a mask.



Yes. It is a 5800.
Call the bike shop, tell them what you need. You could probably email them an image. They can tell you if they have the part. You can pay for it over the phone or online, and then pick it up outside. I am sure they will make accommodations.

I also wonder where you get your food.
phughes is offline  
Old 12-01-20, 12:01 PM
  #19  
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.
 
Thomas15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NE PA
Posts: 711
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold View Post
If you are a volunteer then you have chosen to accept the risk. I'm sure they told you that in class. I'm not required to go anywhere I don't have to. Besides, that's irrelevant to the question I had asked. Let's stay on topic here shall we?

What we were told first and what we are told in every class we take, is that we, the Firefighter or EMS are the most important person at the scene of an incident. Our health and our safety is the #1 top priority. That is what we are told. And that is how we train. That is how we behave. No one has a right to any of the services we provide. Most people don't realize this but the crew that runs headlong into your burning living room with a charged hose to rescue your puppy has it in the back of their mind that there are limits to just how deep they are going in. I say this as an individual that has on numerous occasions gone in quite deep. Risk much to save much, risk little to save little.


You are correct on one thing, you are not required to go anywhere you don't want to go. If you don't want to go to the food store then unless you can get someone to bring the food to you then you go hungry. If you don't want to go to work, then you stay home but I suspect your paycheck would be a tad thin.

This is why you should be happy to pay $25 delivered for a 50c nut to fix your bicycle.

Last edited by Thomas15; 12-01-20 at 12:05 PM.
Thomas15 is offline  
Old 12-01-20, 12:07 PM
  #20  
Jicafold
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15 View Post
What we were told first and what we are told in every class we take, is that we, the Firefighter or EMS are the most important person at the scene of an incident. Our health and our safety is the #1 top priority. That is what we are told. And that is how we train. That is how we behave. No one has a right to any of the services we provide. Most people don't realize this but the crew that runs headlong into your burning living room with a charged hose to rescue your puppy has it in the back of their mind that there are limits to just how deep they are going in. I say this as an individual that has on numerous occasions gone in quite deep.
That's nice. However, completely irrelevant. I'm not sure why you are even bringing that up but it doesn't really matter. As stated....I'm not required to go anywhere I don't have to. Food is essential. I shop for food. This nut for my bike wheel is not essential at this time, but will be eventually. I don't "have" to enter the bike shop. And I work from home... when I'm not reading about the moral and ethical obligations of firefighters.
Jicafold is offline  
Old 12-01-20, 12:13 PM
  #21  
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.
 
Thomas15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NE PA
Posts: 711
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold View Post
That's nice. However, completely irrelevant. I'm not sure why you are even bringing that up but it doesn't really matter. As stated....I'm not required to go anywhere I don't have to. Food is essential. I shop for food. This nut for my bike wheel is not essential at this time, but will be eventually. I don't "have" to enter the bike shop. And I work from home... when I'm not reading about the moral and ethical obligations of firefighters.
But there you are missing a nut and not knowing what to do.
Thomas15 is offline  
Old 12-01-20, 12:20 PM
  #22  
Jicafold
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15 View Post
But there you are missing a nut and not knowing what to do.
? I'm going to buy this one as suggested by Moe Zhoost. That problem has already been solved.

https://www.bikesomewhere.com/shiman...nit-y31f98050/
Jicafold is offline  
Old 12-01-20, 01:31 PM
  #23  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 5,669
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5327 Post(s)
Liked 7,957 Times in 3,438 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15 View Post
But there you are missing a nut and not knowing what to do.
Then the OP has at least one thing in common with Lance Armstrong.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.