Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Affordable skewers

Old 07-18-05, 01:47 PM
  #1  
cs1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Posts: 6,956

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Affordable skewers

I picked up a set of Campy Chorus wheels without skewers the other day. Now I know why they were cheap, Campy wants a fortune for their skewers. Has anyone used a more affordable set of skewers that are still of decent quality? The wheels are Chorus hubs with Mavic Open Pro rims. I was looking for something that would look good on them. Any help would be appreciated.


Tim
cs1 is offline  
Old 07-18-05, 03:11 PM
  #2  
Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten
 
Sheldon Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Newtonville, Massachusetts
Posts: 2,301

Bikes: See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
I picked up a set of Campy Chorus wheels without skewers the other day. Now I know why they were cheap, Campy wants a fortune for their skewers. Has anyone used a more affordable set of skewers that are still of decent quality? The wheels are Chorus hubs with Mavic Open Pro rims. I was looking for something that would look good on them.
Basically there are three kinds of skewers:

•Campagnolo

•Shimano

•Junk

The third type is often grossly overpriced and has premium "boutique" branding.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/qr for the skinny on this.

Sheldon "Enclosed Cam" Brown
Code:
+----------------------------------------+
|  I never did a day's work in my life;  |
|  it was all fun.      --Thomas Edison  |
+----------------------------------------+
Sheldon Brown is offline  
Old 07-18-05, 03:52 PM
  #3  
robo
Senior Member
 
robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Posts: 1,124

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about the non-quick release, hex wrench types? I've been using those for a long time, and i'm pretty happy with them. The only time i take off my wheels is to change a tire or patch a flat, in which case getting out the hex wrench is the least of my inconveniences.

Nashbar sells some simple ones for $10.
robo is offline  
Old 07-19-05, 06:55 AM
  #4  
cs1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Posts: 6,956

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
Basically there are three kinds of skewers:

•Campagnolo

•Shimano

•Junk

The third type is often grossly overpriced and has premium "boutique" branding.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/qr for the skinny on this.

Sheldon "Enclosed Cam" Brown
Code:
+----------------------------------------+
|  I never did a day's work in my life;  |
|  it was all fun.      --Thomas Edison  |
+----------------------------------------+
Thanks Sheldon, I guess I'll have to cough up for real Campy skewers. Now I know why the wheels were such a deal.

Tim
cs1 is offline  
Old 07-19-05, 07:04 AM
  #5  
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
Thanks Sheldon, I guess I'll have to cough up for real Campy skewers. Now I know why the wheels were such a deal.

Tim
Check with LBS.They may have a box full of shimanos and campys that have been ditched for junk.Nothing wrong with a set of untegras on chours hubs in my book.
sydney is offline  
Old 07-19-05, 08:26 AM
  #6  
cs1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Posts: 6,956

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sydney
Check with LBS.They may have a box full of shimanos and campys that have been ditched for junk.Nothing wrong with a set of untegras on chours hubs in my book.
Your probably right. I'll check around first before I order some. Thanks


Tim
cs1 is offline  
Old 07-19-05, 10:36 AM
  #7  
AndrewP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,521

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are plenty of makes of low price skewers that follow the campy design, with the internal cam and the steel bearing faces.
AndrewP is offline  
Old 07-19-05, 12:14 PM
  #8  
cs1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Posts: 6,956

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewP
There are plenty of makes of low price skewers that follow the campy design, with the internal cam and the steel bearing faces.
OK, could you name a few makes. All I've ever seen are the open variety.

Tim
cs1 is offline  
Old 07-19-05, 03:19 PM
  #9  
AndrewP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,521

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Joytech, to name a few
AndrewP is offline  
Old 10-10-05, 08:56 PM
  #10  
ginger green
Good Enough
 
ginger green's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 371

Bikes: gary fisher mtb - Bridgestone road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are skewers one size fits all?
ginger green is offline  
Old 10-10-05, 09:08 PM
  #11  
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon
 
FarHorizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Directly above the center of the earth
Posts: 3,856

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Skewers ARE basically one-size-fits-all. Nashbar has cheap (but durable and well-made) skewers. Compared to Campy and Shimano, the Nashbars offer 3/4 of the quality at less than half the price IMHO. You pays your money, you takes your choice...
FarHorizon is offline  
Old 10-10-05, 09:49 PM
  #12  
duckliondog
Senior Member
 
duckliondog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 427

Bikes: Cinelli Unica, BP Stealth, K2 Razorback, Steel Bianchi roadie, Bianchi Super GL, Specialized Stumpjumper, and 3 beach cruisers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Such broad generalizations invariably lead to trouble. I always meet them with skepticism. There are tons of great skewers that aren't made by Campy of Shimano. My wheels from oddsandendos came with Speedcific skewers that I love. They're light, pretty, and they have that extra little thing at the QR lever that makes tightening and untightening a breeze. They're really cheap too.
duckliondog is offline  
Old 10-11-05, 05:23 PM
  #13  
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 31,512

Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 31 Times in 28 Posts
What Sheldon was referring to was that design used by Campy and Shimano (and older Maillard, and others) gives great clamping force and won't open inadvertently. Many of the super light boutique skewers use a cam design that doesn't have nearly the clamping force or security.

A lot of older frames with horizontal dropouts absolutely cannot use these boutique skewers because they don't hold tight enough to keep the rear wheel in place under pedaling loads.

Sidney's suggestion to raid your LBS for take-offs could save you a lot of money.
HillRider is offline  
Old 10-12-05, 01:47 PM
  #14  
cs1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Posts: 6,956

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
What Sheldon was referring to was that design used by Campy and Shimano (and older Maillard, and others) gives great clamping force and won't open inadvertently. Many of the super light boutique skewers use a cam design that doesn't have nearly the clamping force or security.

A lot of older frames with horizontal dropouts absolutely cannot use these boutique skewers because they don't hold tight enough to keep the rear wheel in place under pedaling loads.

Sidney's suggestion to raid your LBS for take-offs could save you a lot of money.
That sounds good to me

Tim
cs1 is offline  
Old 10-12-05, 03:26 PM
  #15  
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 15,061

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by duckliondog
Such broad generalizations invariably lead to trouble. I always meet them with skepticism. There are tons of great skewers that aren't made by Campy of Shimano.
Read Sheldon's post and his article again. There are reasons why exposed cam QR's suck.
__________________
Raiyn is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
BlueDevil63
Classic and Vintage Sales
9
03-29-17 10:26 PM
plann b
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
0
03-07-09 01:24 AM
kill.cactus
Road Cycling
4
08-31-07 03:29 PM
ngateguy
Commuting
5
01-17-06 07:39 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.