Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/)
-   -   Shimano sora STI shifters replacement, need clari (https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/1232328-shimano-sora-sti-shifters-replacement-need-clari.html)

Chef1978 06-09-21 08:26 AM

Shimano sora STI shifters replacement, need clari
 
Hello everyone, im trying to find clear answer to my problem, I.looked up on the net ,but no clear explanation. I have shimano sora shifters that have to be replaced its 8 speed in tje back and 3 in front question is, can I replace the shifters with any shimano 8x3 shifters without changing the derailleur? Do I have to change the whole system? Thanks.

70sSanO 06-09-21 09:37 AM

You can use Claris 2403 or 2030 shifters. You can also use the older 2303 shifter with the thumb shift button.

Shimano SIS road front and rear derailleurs from 6 to 10 and SIS mtb rear derailleurs from 6 to 9 will work. You don’t have to change anything but the shifters.

John

Chef1978 06-09-21 09:52 AM


Originally Posted by 70sSanO (Post 22094655)
You can use Claris 2403 or 2030 shifters. You can also use the older 2303 shifter with the thumb shift button.

Shimano SIS road front and rear derailleurs from 6 to 10 and SIS mtb rear derailleurs from 6 to 9 will work. You donít have to change anything but the shifters.

John

thank you so much for the explanation, I was going out os my mind to try to figure it out!!

70sSanO 06-09-21 10:06 AM

One more point the “3” in 2030, 2403, and 2303 designate a left shifter compatible with a triple crankset.

The rear right 8 speed shifter is technically 2000, 2400, and 2300. Depending on how you buy them, set or individually, they will be listed as one or the other or both. Just make sure it is for a 3x8.

John

icemilkcoffee 06-09-21 10:35 AM


Originally Posted by 70sSanO (Post 22094655)
You can use Claris 2403 or 2030 shifters. You can also use the older 2303 shifter with the thumb shift button.

All Shimano 3x8 brifters are interchangeable. So that includes 105 1056, RX100 A553, RSX A416(?), Sora 3300 (8 speed, not 7 speed, which has the same 3300 part number!), 3400, Claris R2030.... and Microshift R8.

The only thing in the 8 speed universe, which does not play well with others, is the current Claris R2000 2X8. The 2X8 left brifter has a different (ie 4700 series) pull ratio. But luckily the 3X8 still uses the old pull ratio. Same with the Sora R3000 series - the 2x9 is not backwards compatible but the 3x9 is.

Chef1978 06-10-21 04:42 AM


Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee (Post 22094754)
All Shimano 3x8 brifters are interchangeable. So that includes 105 1056, RX100 A553, RSX A416(?), Sora 3300 (8 speed, not 7 speed, which has the same 3300 part number!), 3400, Claris R2030.... and Microshift R8.

The only thing in the 8 speed universe, which does not play well with others, is the current Claris R2000 2X8. The 2X8 left brifter has a different (ie 4700 series) pull ratio. But luckily the 3X8 still uses the old pull ratio. Same with the Sora R3000 series - the 2x9 is not backwards compatible but the 3x9 is.

woow ,thank you soooo much everyone for taking the time to help me,can uou tell me where can I learn all this? Is there a books or websites to educate myself more? Cheers everyone

icemilkcoffee 06-10-21 08:16 AM


Originally Posted by Chef1978 (Post 22095852)
woow ,thank you soooo much everyone for taking the time to help me,can uou tell me where can I learn all this? Is there a books or websites to educate myself more? Cheers everyone

Shimano's compatibility charts:
https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/
And also mostly by wasting time on the forums :lol:

70sSanO 06-10-21 09:00 AM

The basics of index shifting are the shifters pull a certain amount of cable and the rear derailleurs have actuation ratio. For older Shimano index rear derailleurs, that ratio is 1.7. The derailleur moves over 1.7mm for every 1mm of cable the shifter pulls.

7 speed shifters pull more cable than 8 speed, which pulls more than 9 speed. In a sense, the rear derailleur just reacts to what the shifter does.

As far as what you should get, keep in mind that in the real world older Shimano 8 speed STI levers from the 90’s are hard to find, super expensive, and tend to be gummed up by the old grease.

Research new shifters you can actually get and pick one based on the reviews; either 3x8 Shimano Claris or 3x8 Microshift R8.

John


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:12 AM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.